Halfway Through The Regular Season: What Do We Know?

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
6 games down, 1 loss.
In three sentences:

We're talented on offense but we've got work to (1) overcome little inconsistencies that shorten drives, and (2) keep the passing threat credible and get the ball in the hands of Smelter, who might be our best offensive player, and Waller, who can create chunk plays..

We're thin on defense, especially up front, so we have to remain creative, disciplined, and the back 7 has to be quick to come up to stop the run.

We can beat any team left on the schedule.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we've learned how good Justin Thomas is when healthy.

I asked PJ a while back about plays and playcalling, and he said that the system is set up so we can mix and match different pieces and be very effective. I think we're seeing that a lot more this year than last ... which is very telling. For example, last year we saw the rocket out of Spread and Double Flex. Now we're seeing rocket out of Over Green trapping the 3-tech with twirl motion off a whirly step (an exaggeration that doesn't make sense, but you option nerds get the gist).

I think we've also learned that you've got to go to class and stop smoking pot ...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we have learned out special teams are pretty good overall .... no drop off from Poole to Rodwell. Our return game is doing better (hope Golden isn't hurt too bad) and BUtker can do KOs better than anyone we have ever had. (Maybe not FGs .... o_O)

I also think we have learned that CPJ is being more aggressive in play calling since we has more versatile and option friendly QBs. I like his 4th down and 2 point aggressiveness.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We know we can beat or lose to anyone left on the schedule. The defense has moments of being real good, but to look like that we've had to create turn overs. Also the 3rd and long doesn't = Punt for our opponents way too often.
Also that weather delays SUCK.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
We know the D is about what we thought it would be considering the offseason losses. The O is better than it has been, but we will live and die off the play of the QB.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
When we're well focused and playing for each other as a team, we are a pretty darn good ball club. When we have something other than the game on our minds, we simply aren't very good.

Can we? Sure, I suppose, "on any given Saturday". But we aren't likely to. There's too great a talent difference between us and a couple of our opponents.
All six of our remaining opponents have better players than we have. Three are the large state universities in their state, The other three are very large, football intense schools. Three of the six games are on the road. We should call ourselves fortunate if we can go 3-3. That would be par for the course. Another fizzling out after a strong start. How many years have we watched as we lose our last regular season game, and then lose in a bowl game? We played poorly against Duke, but we are a good enough team now that we almost overcame our own ineptitude. What we must do now is not let the Duke loss become two or three losses. Fix what's broke, move on. Win at Chapel Hill and we are right back in it.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
All six of our remaining opponents have better players than we have. Three are the large state universities in their state, The other three are very large, football intense schools. Three of the six games are on the road. We should call ourselves fortunate if we can go 3-3. That would be par for the course. Another fizzling out after a strong start. How many years have we watched as we lose our last regular season game, and then lose in a bowl game? We played poorly against Duke, but we are a good enough team now that we almost overcame our own ineptitude. What we must do now is not let the Duke loss become two or three losses. Fix what's broke, move on. Win at Chapel Hill and we are right back in it.

This is just simply untrue.

Last edited:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think we’ve definitely learned to lay off of Chamberlain. We couldn’t get anything going that direction against Duke.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Also..Chamberlain played great vs. Miami....whole line dominated that D line. Not saying he is All-American but he was missed vs Duke and he seems to be improving every game...which is a pleasant development.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Talent, scheme, etc all matter, but IMO college football comes down to getting 18-21 year old kids emotionally ready to play on gameday.
For whatever reason we were a different team emotionally on Saturday from what we were against Miami.
I think all of us would have taken 5-1 at this point in the season, it was a fun run to 5-0 and the national exposure will help the program in the long run.
The biggest game of the year is the UNC game in terms of which direction the rest of the season will go.

Animal02

Banned
Talent, scheme, etc all matter, but IMO college football comes down to getting 18-21 year old kids emotionally ready to play on gameday.
For whatever reason we were a different team emotionally on Saturday from what we were against Miami.
I think all of us would have taken 5-1 at this point in the season, it was a fun run to 5-0 and the national exposure will help the program in the long run.
The biggest game of the year is the UNC game in terms of which direction the rest of the season will go.
That and playing 11 against 15 in the second half.......:mad:

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Ive learned that this system runs ALOT smoother when you have a good fit at QB. Alot of the other positions are sort of plug n play. But if you have talent, it works out really well. We have alot of young talent on the team and the future is looking bright. CPJ is back to his evil genius self. Playcalling is back on track and execution has been pretty daggum good so far. Special teams have been special so far. Defense needs some work. Tackling and angles could be very much improved. Im excited about our team and its future. Hope recruiting keeps picking up and we land some big fish that contribute big timd.