Guys who brought their "A" game

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Its time to show some love to the guys who played their tail off yesterday.

1. DJ White. Great game. Clutch interception, good coverage and tackling all day long. I was VERY encouraged by his play.

2. Adam Gotsis. Quick and agile, he got after it yesterday. Two FG blocks, what? I am thankful to him and thankful he is coming back. Here is one guy we have seen consistent improvement in--good job, Adam, and good job, coaches.

3. Darren Waller. Great catch. That would have been an EPIC and heart-breaking drop, so kudos for making the play and taking it in for 6.

4. Beau Hankins. BOOM. That was a textbook tackle. If you missed it, go back and watch the KO from the 4th quarter--wow! Here's to hoping you have many more chances to make tackles like that next year.

Anybody I miss?

niel9533

Georgia Tech Fan
+10 Awesome effort by the team and those individuals.
(sorry to say I thought of Steven Hill on that Waller catch....Wooooops! that's one of the easy ones he would have let slip thru his grasp)

pckl300

Georgia Tech Fan

1. DJ White. Great game. Clutch interception, good coverage and tackling all day long. I was VERY encouraged by his play.

2. Adam Gotsis. Quick and agile, he got after it yesterday. Two FG blocks, what? I am thankful to him and thankful he is coming back. Here is one guy we have seen consistent improvement in--good job, Adam, and good job, coaches.

3. Darren Waller. Great catch. That would have been an EPIC and heart-breaking drop, so kudos for making the play and taking it in for 6.

4. Beau Hankins. BOOM. That was a textbook tackle. If you missed it, go back and watch the KO from the 4th quarter--wow! Here's to hoping you have many more chances to make tackles like that next year.

Anybody I miss?

I noticed DJ white as well. Man, it's refreshing to see a corner wrap up and tackle!

Gotsis seems to be a future NFL lineman. His long arms kept us in that game twice.

Godhigh played well as usual. He's the little man with the biggest heart on the field.

+10 Awesome effort by the team and those individuals.
(sorry to say I thought of Steven Hill on that Waller catch....Wooooops! that's one of the easy ones he would have let slip thru his grasp)

Awesome effort?

Are you sure?

We lost to a team that was 3-5 in their conference and was the SEC's 10th seeded team among their 10 Bowl teams.

ESPN's stats thingy predicted we would win by 8 points, instead we lost by 8 in a game where the Refs blew the Safety call (should have been a TD by the OM Defense) and because of their crappy PK they left 7 points on the field, basically we were blown out and was never really in the game.

On the long TD pass, their Safety fell down, that happens to non-UGA teams maybe twice per season, we caught a big break there, when the 2nd qtr. started and their suspended players went in on Defense we were slowed down big time after that.

Not for one second did I expect us to win that game, that was the consensus of about 2 dozen GT alums that I watched the game with.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Awesome effort?

Are you sure?

We lost to a team that was 3-5 in their conference and was the SEC's 10th seeded team among their 10 Bowl teams.

ESPN's stats thingy predicted we would win by 8 points, instead we lost by 8 in a game where the Refs blew the Safety call (should have been a TD by the OM Defense) and because of their crappy PK they left 7 points on the field, basically we were blown out and was never really in the game.

On the long TD pass, their Safety fell down, that happens to non-UGA teams maybe twice per season, we caught a big break there, when the 2nd qtr. started and their suspended players went in on Defense we were slowed down big time after that.

Not for one second did I expect us to win that game, that was the consensus of about 2 dozen GT alums that I watched the game with.

We were talking about effort, not results. Why not just acknowledge the individual efforts of players on the team with everybody else? We get it man. We lost. We played bad. Everyone knows your opinion now.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I appreciate the effort by our players - obviously some gave more than others. I feel for the seniors who wanted to take away a win on their last game. Yes, the refs may have blown the safety call & they had a kicker that could not deliver BUT I also saw a lot of questionable calls against GT (the Godhigh unsportsmanlike call comes to mind). Throughout the season it looks like we were subjected to a lot of questionable calls and I imagine that it gets very frustrating for players & coaches to have to deal with biased(?) officials. No matter, I will continue to support our team proudly yell "Go Jackets - Sting 'em"!

I appreciate the effort by our players - obviously some gave more than others. I feel for the seniors who wanted to take away a win on their last game. Yes, the refs may have blown the safety call & they had a kicker that could not deliver BUT I also saw a lot of questionable calls against GT (the Godhigh unsportsmanlike call comes to mind). Throughout the season it looks like we were subjected to a lot of questionable calls and I imagine that it gets very frustrating for players & coaches to have to deal with biased(?) officials. No matter, I will continue to support our team proudly yell "Go Jackets - Sting 'em"!

Godhigh did the throat-slash, and a few years back when "The U" was in their heyday, the NCAA specifically made the throat-slash a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, no questions asked.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Just a side note since this is about the players who played well, but the safety was the correct call since Beno had the ball and as he rolled over he lost it. Oh yeah, I think OM is still holding Sneezy. On the Waller catch, the defender fell down trying to grab Waller as he went by so the defender was already beat.

Sneezy played well, but it may not show on a stat sheet. Godhigh has his usual good game. Gotsis showed up on the stat sheet with two blocks, but for the record those kicks were low. Gotsis also had at least one pass breakup. Jamea Thomas played well and I thought the tackling in the secondary was good yesterday. OM was throwing a lot of short passes (the Sneezy affect) and we did not allow a ton of YAC's. Some of that was due to us playing soft on the corners in the first half.
I wish I could comment on the LB, but I really did not notice them yesterday.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I must have missed the throat-slash because what was shown on replay was his thumb to his nose & wiggling his fingers.
I missed it too, but the replay showed what you said.
Godhigh was just mocking OM using the same sign that the OM defender used earlier in the game after making a tackle in our backfield.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I must have missed the throat-slash because what was shown on replay was his thumb to his nose & wiggling his fingers.

He definitely did the throat slash. With all the plays he made all year I'll give him a pass on that one penalty.

Just a side note since this is about the players who played well, but the safety was the correct call since Beno had the ball and as he rolled over he lost it. Oh yeah, I think OM is still holding Sneezy. On the Waller catch, the defender fell down trying to grab Waller as he went by so the defender was already beat.

Sneezy played well, but it may not show on a stat sheet. Godhigh has his usual good game. Gotsis showed up on the stat sheet with two blocks, but for the record those kicks were low. Gotsis also had at least one pass breakup. Jamea Thomas played well and I thought the tackling in the secondary was good yesterday. OM was throwing a lot of short passes (the Sneezy affect) and we did not allow a ton of YAC's. Some of that was due to us playing soft on the corners in the first half.
I wish I could comment on the LB, but I really did not notice them yesterday.

On a play like that Beno has to control the ball for longer than he did, no way would a loose ball anywhere else on the field that was controlled for that short amount of time be considered a fumble recovery.

The only time I noticed a LB for GT was when CTR made a horrible call, on the 3rd and 13 CTR had a LB on OM's best WR and our LB got beat badly for a 27 yard pass completion.

Remember OM is the about the 10th best team in the SEC.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
On a play like that Beno has to control the ball for longer than he did, no way would a loose ball anywhere else on the field that was controlled for that short amount of time be considered a fumble recovery.

The only time I noticed a LB for GT was when CTR made a horrible call, on the 3rd and 13 CTR had a LB on OM's best WR and our LB got beat badly for a 27 yard pass completion.

Remember OM is the about the 10th best team in the SEC.

I think you should let the rules official's organization know that you think they made the wrong call.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
On a play like that Beno has to control the ball for longer than he did, no way would a loose ball anywhere else on the field that was controlled for that short amount of time be considered a fumble recovery. ...

The key word that you used is "controlled". The play was over after Beno controlled the ball in the end zone.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
On the Beno play it looked like he recovered the ball, rolled over, and tried to throw it back into the field. Props for trying even though it almost gave Ole Miss a TD.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
The term "effort" is appreciated by all, but it does not buy the groceries. A positive income buys the groceries. Results are the reason for hiring and firing of coaches. The players have nothing of which to be ashamed, but the results are, as usual, not very good. The old adage, "the buck stops here" falls on the shoulders of the one getting big money to produce. The effort by the players is always appreaciated, but the results are not appreciated. If the players are doing their best, then there can only be one other reason for losing.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Jerry, Jemea, Robbie and Gotsis were the only ones that looked like they wanted to win out there. Only players that get "A" effort, not that effort means anything if you don't have the talent and execute the gameplan.
I saw DJ get exposed a couple of plays not sold on him yet, the gameplan was obviously to go after him and they did it a lot, he played better than everyone expected.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Anybody I miss?
1.They went after DJ but he rose to the challenge. He made a couple of bad plays but made up for them and more with some great plays. I love the way this kid keeps his eyes on the ball. Cough Cough Louis Young

Thought the Pass Interference call should have not been called..but I am biased ;)

2. Gotis played really well

3.Waller played pretty well. That throw was not very good at all and he did a good job staying with it. Granted the DB fell down. He dropped a couple though:(

4. Beau did make a nice tackle

5. Jemea looked pretty good but got cut out on some screens.

FYI: I noticed Dieke play really well against the run throughout the game. He may have messed up some too but I saw him do some really good things against the run multiple times.

pckl300

Georgia Tech Fan
I saw DJ get exposed a couple of plays not sold on him yet, the gameplan was obviously to go after him and they did it a lot, he played better than everyone expected.

DJ earned my respect when he dropped Gurley on solo tackles, in the backfield. The list of CBs to have done that has to be very short.