#GTvsMIA Postgame

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Here we are analyzing a still photo just like the Miami fans saying that the ball is not moving in their still photo…:D
Is very hard to determine when he begins the act of sliding although this photo looks bad.
I also found the “memo“ that was posted above, but I have not seen the verbiage of the actual rule. It would seem that the rule begins with “ANYTIME…” which would suggest Leary was down where the slide initiated.
It’s true that it was not a distinctly feet first slide, but I don’t believe that matters. if he had slid exactly that way with a defender in the area, he would have been protected by the rule.
The call in this instance came down to the judgment of the official as to where the slide started, or (what I think is more likely) the fact that the memo above clarifies, the intent of the rule is to avoid contact. Since there was no contact to avoid, the slide rule is not applicable. Of course, that would seem contradictory to the verbiage of “any time…“
Regardless, All of this boils down to yet another lesson in “finish the play /play to the whistle“ and “don’t leave it up to the official.“
I think you missed the part about the rule that says FEET first slide

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

There has not been a lot of mention about Georgia Tech and its ability to get down the field quickly and score on the Hurricanes.

Yellow Jackets head coach Brent Key does not want anyone to forget that.

"Another thing is, I got home and was getting ready to watch the game last night and someone on the TV last night was talking about our game and I told the team that there is this thing about talking about the decisions that were made on their sides of the ball that impacted the game and I told the team and the staff that it was you guys on the field and chose to play that down as hard as you could, you chose to play that down as hard as you could. If you listen to the noise, if you looked at the scoreboard, if you saw the timeouts that we did not have, if you saw the time on the clock, if one person on the defense plays at 90% or 95% on that last play, then we don't get the outcome that we like. We turned it around to go 75 yards in 26 seconds, to go that length of the field... If one person did not play the way that they can, if they had not played hard and played with everything that they have, if they had payed attention to what the clock said or the scoreboard said, then we would not have had that outcome. That is the way that I look at it. Our guys were the ones on the field and chose to play the way you're supposed to play. We challenged them to play 60 minutes and we had to wash a stigma off of us on this football team and we went out and did that."
That's a great quote and 100% accurate. Thank you for sharing this.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Both plays were thoroughly reviewed. If it was clear that the RB still had possession when his elbow touched the ground, they would have overturned the call. If it was clear that Leary was down before he broke the plane of end zone, they would have overturned the call. We won the game. Everything else is noise and/or butthurt.

Oh, and, Ef the Canes!

Last edited:

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member

The referee, the replay official at the game and officials at the ACC Game Day Operations Center in Charlotte collaboratively reviewed the play. Riveron said they determined "there was no indisputable visual evidence to overturn the ruling on the field."

"We made the right call on the field based on the angles that were afforded to us," Riveron said. "The process and the protocol was followed."

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Kid should've just ran over the goalline as normal, remove any doubt....

I've watched the replay too many times. To me, it appears Leary tried to turn upfield and his momentum pulled him into the slide. Had he continued to run at the pattern, he probably stays vertical.

I'll say it again. Miami lost the game because they didn't take a knee. Tech won because our offense beat their defense.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It's good to hear this confirmation, given all the controversy around the fumble call. Of course, DRad had to step in and say "Maybe the standard needs to be reevaluated." Gimme a break.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Kid should've just ran over the goalline as normal, remove any doubt....
Do you think the coaches pointed this out. I sure hope so. That would have been devastating for us after getting the beneficial ruling on the fumble, to then lose it due to a mistake that didn't even need to happen. I hope he did that in a moment of pure joy and was not showboating.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
2(b) I agree with.

1. I have seen situations in which a QB slides before there is any contact pending. Don't remember who or which games, but I have seen QBs in the 2 minute drill make a first down and slide quickly to avoid running too much clock.
2. Kenny Pickett did convince the defender that he was about to give himself up and make a feet-first slide. Leary did not fake out anyone. He did not simulate a slide, he in fact slid. The slide was not feet-first. He didn't fake anyone. He didn't simulate anything. He did not perform a feet-first slide.

I think he simply fell down instead of attempting some kind of theatrics. Regardless, he did not meet any of the requirements of that rule.
I think in these cases, they would mark the QB down when his knee hit, not at the beginning of the slide. The slide is only a special case when there is a defender in position to make the tackle and it's clear the ball carrier is giving himself up to avoid a hit.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Three things I think, three things I know about Georgia Tech halfway through the 2023 season​

Link:

This jumped out:
Last season, PFF had Georgia Tech's pass blocking grading out at 42.8 (which is terrible) and the run blocking at 50.8. This season, Georgia Tech's pass-blocking grade is 67.4 and the run-blocking grade is 63.8.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think in these cases, they would mark the QB down when his knee hit, not at the beginning of the slide. The slide is only a special case when there is a defender in position to make the tackle and it's clear the ball carrier is giving himself up to avoid a hit.
This is not the case. I have been seeing it quite a bit recently where qbs are sliding after they think they have a first down to stop the clock, but the slide starts right near the line. The knee has nothing to do with a slide sadly. Qbs need to be taught to dive / roll forward when attempting to go down and not avoiding a hit.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Three things I think, three things I know about Georgia Tech halfway through the 2023 season​

Link:

This jumped out:
Last season, PFF had Georgia Tech's pass blocking grading out at 42.8 (which is terrible) and the run blocking at 50.8. This season, Georgia Tech's pass-blocking grade is 67.4 and the run-blocking grade is 63.8.
It’s almost like Tech hired a former offensive lineman.