#GTvsMIA Postgame

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The taking the knee instead of going for the extra point was to prevent it possibly being blocked, run back for a safety, then us having to give them the ball with limited time left in an opportunity to score. Good move by the coaches there, imo.
Not sure I understand. It wouldn’t have been a safety but a 2 pt conversion by the defense. We still would have had a one point lead kicking off and they still would have had one play. Kind of didn’t matter either way since there was virtually no chance they could kick a field goal, but I guess they may have someone on their team that knows how to drop kick?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
So because I’m not happy with the way the team played…I’m a bad fan? Got it.
We are on the road in a hostile night game atmosphere up against a smattering of 5 star recruits. We executed the gameplan about as well as we could have asked for. Were we the better team? Not at all, but we made plays when they mattered and stole a win. I could knit pick about BF’s playcalling out of that timeout in the red zone but the evening is worth celebrating first and foremost IMO.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure I understand. It wouldn’t have been a safety but a 2 pt conversion by the defense. We still would have had a one point lead kicking off and they still would have had one play. Kind of didn’t matter either way since there was virtually no chance they could kick a field goal, but I guess they may have someone on their team that knows how to drop kick?
Or a penalty that stops the clock and puts one back on. Anything can happen. Don’t take the chance is the right call.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Key said in the presser that they were worried about a penalty giving extra yards to Miami on the kickoff.

(Plus it had the extra advantage of showing Miami how to take a knee.)

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We are on the road in a hostile night game atmosphere up against a smattering of 5 star recruits. We executed the gameplan about as well as we could have asked for. Were we the better team? Not at all, but we made plays when they mattered and stole a win. I could knit pick about BF’s playcalling out of that timeout in the red zone but the evening is worth celebrating first and foremost IMO.
Absolutely. You do what a big underdog does when outmatched. You try to keep the game close, play for breaks, make them start to sweat and see if they crack. The game was on the line with 4 mins left. They were frazzled the game was that close and it caused them to lose focus and make a huge error, then another, then another. Failure chain complete, season ruined because da U overlooked a "patsy" while talking about a showdown of unbeatens 5 games later.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Slightly off topic… but on the subject of not taking a knee. Did anyone catch the Alabama game yesterday? They led by 6 late in a similar spot where three successive kneel downs would end the game. Instead they threw on 1st down (incomplete) then ran 2 running plays. They a 4th down play where time expired as they threw it out of play and won the game. I was yelling at the TV for how dumb those decisions were.

I was at the 2015 FSU game so that always holds a special place for me, but objectively, this was the craziest ending I’ve ever seen in any football game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. You do what a big underdog does when outmatched. You try to keep the game close, play for breaks, make them start to sweat and see if they crack. The game was on the line with 4 mins left. They were frazzled the game was that close and it caused them to lose focus and make a huge error, then another, then another. Failure chain complete, season ruined because da U overlooked a "patsy" while talking about a showdown of unbeatens 5 games later.
I think we have enough evidence to say by now that Key knows how to pull off major upsets on the road.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
So because I’m not happy with the way the team played…I’m a bad fan? Got it.
No just your logic is pretty flawed. Did you think we were gonna walk into Miami and hang 50 on them while dominating the line of scrimmage from start to finish? Pretty much missing where we didn’t take a step forward

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
If I try to understand the thinking. If the extra point gets blocked and returned, the score is 23-22 with us kicking off. Then, if we commit a penalty on kickoff return that puts them in FG range, we could lose the game. It is contrived thinking but I can get there I guess.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but a seemingly small but important factor in our win was Haynes King throwing the ball away on first down after the fumble recovery. He could find no one open long, had someone open short but threw it into the ground, I think intentionally, so as not to run the risk of the receiver being tackled in bounds and wasting the clock. Smart play, and I've seen many college QBs get this one wrong.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If I try to understand the thinking. If the extra point gets blocked and returned, the score is 23-22 with us kicking off. Then, if we commit a penalty on kickoff return that puts them in FG range, we could lose the game. It is contrived thinking but I can get there I guess.
Ask a Miami fan if there is any worry about losing the game on a fumble deep in your opponents’ territory with only 30 seconds left. :D

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
His error was kicking it out of bounds. Stops the clock.
I’m in favor of kicking it out of bounds there. Just kick it as far as you can out of bounds next time. They get the ball at the 35 yard line and have 1 play to get 65 yards, and even if something funky happens and we get a DPI or some other 15 yard penalty, they still have to go 50 yards on 1 play.

I would much rather have a defense on the field who is prepared for a Hail Mary/hook & lateral situation than have a kicker as one of the 11 men on the field trying to make a tackle.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The Liami fans are complaining about the late bonehead decision but, if they're honest, MIA was tryna hand us that game all night. Some-a them throws by their QB we're Collins-era-esque.

And how satisfying was it to get that dub after the talking heads and cane fans were talkin' about goin undefeated. Hahahaa, suckas.