#GTvsCLEM Postgame

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This question was probably already asked but I cant find it. After the safety and free kick, why didn’t Gibbs try to run 20 or 30 yards and then fall down before the clock expired? This could’ve gotten us close enough for a Hail Mary. The clock was at 7 seconds and it doesn’t start running until he touches the ball, right? This seems like a better use of a few seconds but I may be missing something.

BTW, I’m not complaining. Great game.
I asked myself the same question. The answer I supposed is that fair catching the kick gave us time for two plays. The hope must have been for 20-30 yards and ob on the 1st play. Then a desperation pass to the endzone. Trying for the run back was highly likely to use all seven seconds.

None of this, or anything else, was likely to succeed. But you try something.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This question was probably already asked but I cant find it. After the safety and free kick, why didn’t Gibbs try to run 20 or 30 yards and then fall down before the clock expired? This could’ve gotten us close enough for a Hail Mary. The clock was at 7 seconds and it doesn’t start running until he touches the ball, right? This seems like a better use of a few seconds but I may be missing something.

BTW, I’m not complaining. Great game.
It will be interesting if the that question is asked of CGC. I think our best chance for a win last night was to let Gibbs catch the ball and take it to the house. I think it is a low percentage bet, but better than any of the other options.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It will be interesting if the that question is asked of CGC. I think our best chance for a win last night was to let Gibbs catch the ball and take it to the house. I think it is a low percentage bet, but better than any of the other options.
I agree. Every option was an extremely low percentage bet. But, that is a scenario where all plans are thrown out and you hope for a miracle.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Among other things, Charlie Thomas talks about the 3-3-5 defense, why they ran it, and the advantage of having more speed on the field (yes, it’s paywalled):
5 takeaways from Georgia Tech's near upset of No. 6 Clemson

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...t-of-no-6-clemson/UCCZI5FR35HTPOTHPGUTAQS3AI/

(Via AJC News)
Thanks for sharing the link, @slugboy . Pro tip for "newspaper" websites that are paywalled: sometimes posts can be accessed by opening them in a Chrome Incognito Browser window, a Safari or Firefox Private Browser window, or an MS Edge InPrivate browser window. It doesn't always work but this one did when I used the Incognito browser window in Chrome. Many of these sites will give you several "free" article links before paywalling you and many of them rely on cookies for that info and a private/incognito/inprivate browser acts like the first time you've ever hit that site.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did anyone notice that the Clemson coaching staff made two mistakes on that final play, imo.
First, they took a delay of game penalty to try to catch GT offside. didn't work and moved them 1 yd closer to the endzone. They were out far enough that DJ probably could have taken the snap and knelt down, at the very least he could have fallen forward. It also meant that if they stick with the same play Shipley would have been farther out of the EZ and the recovering might have happened outside of it.

Moving the ball back one yard took away any chance of kneeling and then they stayed with the long snap, which was now a yd deeper in the EZ.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Did anyone notice that the Clemson coaching staff made two mistakes on that final play, imo.
First, they took a delay of game penalty to try to catch GT offside. didn't work and moved them 1 yd closer to the endzone. They were out far enough that DJ probably could have taken the snap and knelt down, at the very least he could have fallen forward. It also meant that if they stick with the same play Shipley would have been farther out of the EZ and the recovering might have happened outside of it.

Moving the ball back one yard took away any chance of kneeling and then they stayed with the long snap, which was now a yd deeper in the EZ.
I'd call it 3 mistakes. 1) The delay of game. 2) Operating out of the SG. 3) Not having the QB take a direct snap and run a sneak. Handing the ball off there is moronic.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Not one of Dabo’s finest moments. After stopping us on the 1, his mind took a hike. Mine too, actually. I turned the game off with 15 seconds left and awoke this morning to a 14-8 score instead of the 14-6 score that I left. I didn’t see the safety until I rewatched the game this afternoon.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Regarding play calling: I’ve seen two weeks of the Falcons and three of the Jackets, and I like our NCAA play calls better than their NFL play calls.

In fairness, probably shouldn't look to a team called the 'Failcons' in looking for high level footballin'.

Anyways, just chimed in to say I was ecstatic that we finally started using the TE this game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
In regards to the last long drive that some are complaining took too much time off the clock:

I go to church with a local HSFB HC who is also a huge Clemson fan. His reaction was that it was a live by the sword, die by the sword decision. With a defense as good as Clemson's, the idea seemed to be to disguise the look in the huddle so we would have an advantage at least momentarily against the D. It worked for us all night, but meant we slowed the game down, which also hurts us when we need to score in a hurry. I confess I was a bit disgruntled at first, but after hearing a guy who makes his living coaching football praise the decision, it gave me pause. At some point we have to be good enough to win battles against stud players straight up. Until then, we need to play smart football. Hard to argue we didn't play smart last night.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In fairness, probably shouldn't look to a team called the 'Failcons' in looking for high level footballin'.

Anyways, just chimed in to say I was ecstatic that we finally started using the TE this game.
The way we started the season, plus the hot mess called Falcons, I thought I was going to have to enjoy my new camper as an escape this fall. GT may have upset those plans.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I found something weird when I looked up the definition of 'sociopath'. It was a picture of you. Weird, right? Or maybe not.

:unsure:
1632085855413.gif

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I confess I was a bit disgruntled at first, but after hearing a guy who makes his living coaching football praise the decision, it gave me pause.
If we are going to defer to the opinions of people who actually coach and/or understand the game and/or played the game above the HS level, then that undermines the purpose of internet message boards imo. If we can't let raw emotion or opinions rule the day then that takes all the fun out of it. ;)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If we are going to defer to the opinions of people who actually coach and/or understand the game and/or played the game above the HS level, then that undermines the purpose of internet message boards imo. If we can't let raw emotion or opinions rule the day then that takes all the fun out of it. ;)

You're right! What was I thinking?!?!? Let's start firing people right now!!!! FIRE SOMONE ASAP!!!

(Am I doing this right?)

:ROFLMAO:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I mean yeah, if we could get it. But that's not really how averages work. Averaging 2.5 ypc throughout the entire game does not equal getting 2.5 yards against Clemson's goal line D.

As of right now, according to DFEI, Clemson is the second best defense in NCAAFB. Not many people are scoring at all on them, and no one is scoring TDs. Unfortunately for us, we play the nations best defense in game 12...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I asked myself the same question. The answer I supposed is that fair catching the kick gave us time for two plays. The hope must have been for 20-30 yards and ob on the 1st play. Then a desperation pass to the endzone. Trying for the run back was highly likely to use all seven seconds.

None of this, or anything else, was likely to succeed. But you try something.
Correction, two plays against the “greatest defense in all of college football.”

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I mean yeah, if we could get it. But that's not really how averages work. Averaging 2.5 ypc throughout the entire game does not equal getting 2.5 yards against Clemson's goal line D.
Say what you want - our best player group is the RB's - we did not attempt to use them in the correct way. If we had lined up behind center (first time all game), and hit them fast and hard, I believe we score with Jordan, but we can agree to disagree. Those first 2 plays were just overthinking ourselves, IN MY OPINION.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I hate the end around in the end zone. When has that ever worked?

I liked the shovel but would have liked it better to Mason instead of the TE. Our TE is not the best and running through contact.