#GTvsCLEM Postgame

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Clemson may the best defense in College Football
In the old days, a 7 point lead in the fourth quarter was money in the bank for teams with great defenses and good kicking like Tech, Alabama, and Tennessee. But not anymore, no matter how good your defense happens to be, everyone has play makers on offense now and most teams (except Clemson) have gunslingers for quarterbacks. If you stop moving the ball, eventually you will get beat. IIWII

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
For real. He played a great game in Death Valley. Threw it away when needed, made big plays when things broke down.
Jordan Yates: put me on your back man
Agreed, he plays like a veteran qb most the time, not a new guy or a backup. He puts in the extra effort to make a play, but makes smart decisions and doesn't gamble with the ball trying to make something happen.

slugboy

Staff member
Defense played well obviously, though I don't understand the constant 3 man front when they are running right at us. Offense did decent, too much sputtering and bad playcalling in the red zone, which has been a CGC hallmark, but at least we could get field goals this time. Yates is the guy going forward, just makes good decisions more often than not. A lot to build on, I hope we qre able to.
I’d have to go back and look, but I think we were in a 3-3-5, and putting a quick LB in. The DL played well, and there was some heat on DJ-U even when we had 3 DL. I think it was mostly for more blitz options and to counter their speed.

I’m kind of glad that we had different defensive lineups. Clemson was hard for us to tackle, and my main concern was on the plays where they pushed for a first down.

Coverage was fairly good today.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Credit to the players for fighting the entire game through the delay. The offensive play calling is horrendous though. There is no excuse not to run Mason on first and goal after the onside kick when we had them on their hills.
I wish we didn’t take the timeout after we got the first down. With three timeouts and the time stopped to move the chains, we could have run up to the line quickly and ran it again. After the timeout I didn’t mind the first down call, not huge fan of the 2nd down call, and I actually liked the 4th down call.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Credit to the players for fighting the entire game through the delay. The offensive play calling is horrendous though. There is no excuse not to run Mason on first and goal after the onside kick when we had them on their hills.

We put up more yards and more offensive points on Clemson than uga did. I was happy with the play calling. We were up against the nations best DL tonight and held our own.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know if Clemson is falling off, we’re improving, or a little of both, but I’ll take it. Even if Clemson is falling off, I refuse to believe that Dabo let his team go from 5 consecutive years of dominance (and about a decade of being very good) to being terrible over the course of a single offseason. Way to fight it out, boys!
Clemson is not falling off, they don't have a quarterback. They are loaded down with four and five star talent but it goes to waste with a quarterback like DJ. He hasn't go it now and I kind of doubt he will have it in the future.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m letting Gibbs run that safety kick back. Helluva effort though. Play like that and we’ll win some games. Love the huddle on offense. Great move there.
Agreed, we had enough time for him to return the ball and have a shot at a Hail Mary.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
After a deep breath or two, and several swear-words directed at my accursed home, I have to say that today’s game was an inspiring display by our team. My wife and I watched the first half at our local pub, next to an atypically doofus Clempsun fan (most I’ve met are pretty classy).

I was very happy going into the lightning delay/halftime down only a touchdown and driving for the potential tying score. Absolutely awesome effort by our guys to keep it that close. Doofus-guy was smart enough to shut his yap by that point.

We headed home when the delay extended past the one hour mark, feeling pretty good about the game. Didn’t get to watch much past the middle of the 3rd Q, but still, what I heard of the game—while spreading tarps & buckets—makes me proud of our guys.

Go Jackets!