GT's rank if we beat Clemson... #16 Coaches Poll / #17 AP Poll

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Its wrong to speculate about what would happen if we win. So I'm a very bad fan for posting this. (just saving everyone from having to reply to advise me of this :)

However...

Just speculating where we would be ranked if (big if) we whoop Clemson this weekend.

There are 2 8-win teams within striking distance that we would likely jump if we go to 9 wins and they lose:
Nebraska (8-1) is @ Wisconsin. Pretty sure we jump whoever loses this game.
Clemson - we win, we jump 'em.
VT @ Duke. If VT wins (a certainty in my opinion), we jump Duke.

So, best case, if we win Saturday, is that we move to 19.

I don't think anyone presently below us can jump us if we win.

If Auburn drills UGa (not likely), UGa will likely drop to 18. There is a hidden module in the rankings that prevent 3-loss SEC teams from dropping out of the polls if dropping out would result in fewer than 5 SEC teams in the top 20. This would make the most evenly matched (in terms of ranking) I can ever remember us and the nad-lickers being going into the game. Its actually uncommon that both Tech and the fleabags are both ranked heading into the game.

But we must win. We absolutely must win.

Last edited:

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
VPI is so bad right now that a win against Duke is anything but a certainty...

That being said, if GT beats Clemson in a similar dominating fashion as the Mutts, and with Clemson's golden boy at the helm, we will jump into the top 15, IMO.

Especially if Miami is able to upend Florida State.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The way the cfp is working we beat clemson we jump duke and may go as high as 15

We are seeing quality of wins is more important than head to head

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If defense and offense make major statement, We will be at our lowest ranking for two seasons!
How's that for being optimistic!

I just hope we win - by what ever margin.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
As someone who is superstitious, i hope everyone that commented on this thread "knocked on wood" and walked under a ladder to cancel out all the bad juju y'all are creating.
78c14a477badfc6fb207169bce9a0fe5.jpg

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I very much believe that both VT and UNC can and will be Duke. It is UNC, and their D, that concerns me most with this prediction.

I say, VT 24 Duke 17, this week, and then on the Thursday night game, UNC 38 Duke 35......hope I am right, and I hope I don't jinx this....

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
A swarm of angry bees when I arrived at my in laws in Ft Myers today. I think this is a sign for Saturday!!! LolView attachment 517
I used to live in Cape Coral and remember getting attacked by a bunch of yellow jackets after stepping on a nest. It sucked so much and I kept feeling like I’ve been betrayed.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
VPI is so bad right now that a win against Duke is anything but a certainty...
On paper, you are probably right. But I am factoring in two intangibles: VT is a proud program and I don't see them folding their tent on this season. I think they are determined for some redemption. Secondly, I think losing to Duke in Lane Stadium last year embarrassed them and I'm expecting a measure of revenge.

I didn't factor in Duke's lethargic game against Syracuse but it seems to me Duke is showing signs of late-season fatigue. I think Duke might be running out of emotional gas - and a home game against a team with a losing record isn't exactly inspiring. And recall that VT curb-stomped UNC about a month ago. I expect a similar outcome.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
It may be a sign that it's time for your inlaws to move. Didn't the same thing happen in the Amityville Horror?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If Tech wins I think 15 is the ceiling and 18 is probably more likely. We lose and we will drop out of the polls again. I feel pretty optimistic even though I know Clemson is a good team. We will see what happens. Go Jackets!