#GTCamp15

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember talk of that last two years, but I think the team has really found its identity and footing in controlling the clock. If you're not able to score a high percentage of the time, then it makes sense to try to create more possessions.

Plus the more we control the clock, the more our defense (typically the weakest part of our team) can rest. If I were a defensive player I'd hate playing for a team that runs a hurry-up offense.

I called into the coaches show a few years back, I asked coach what he thought about using the hurry up in certain situations.Maybe like a forth in 1 or 2 and his response " If we can't get a yard or two Doing what we do, we're prob going to lose the game anyways". Typical response from the guy in charge. He said it best that last year team bought into the scheme and the results show.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We have never had trouble moving the ball at the ends of halves. We have just had trouble punching it in as time dwindled down. Not so much the case last year. Another myth, "our offense isn't built for hurry up", put to bed last year. I'm willing to bet it still gets said by talking heads again this year though.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I like milking the clock and our O. I have the impression that if CPJ was confident in the D he would run some hurry up to put the dagger in a team like UGA or Miami. I think the hurry up may be in his playbook to finish off a tired defense. The defense last year just did not have the depth to take advantage of it.

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
Another myth, "our offense isn't built for hurry up", put to bed last year. I'm willing to bet it still gets said by talking heads again this year though.

I kind of disagree but only sort of. I do not think the offense is built for hurry up, but the analysts that say that are stupid sound-bite loving folks, because any coach who built their team for hurry up offense would be fired immediately, because that person is an idiot. But, I also think our team is at a disadvantage relative to other teams if it is behind by more than one touchdown late or behind at all really late in a game. I'm not sure how that was put to bed last year. I love the offense and cannot be a bigger CPJ fan, but (1) every team is at a disadvantage when it is behind, especially late, (2) our OL does not train as much as others for pass blocking, so they are less ready (not necessarily less able) than others to do that and (3) what team does well when the defense knows you have to pass?

That said, the idiots who spout that GT's offense "isn't built for hurry up" are idiots or pandering to their employer's fan base, because it's just a moronic, nonsensical comment to make since not one team is built for that purpose. Maybe Baylor, Oregon, Auburn and West Virginia fans could disagree, but in the end, whenever any of us hear that sound bite it is some rube making the comment or some beholden announcer making the statement for the benefit of a mass of rube fans. And I live in Alabama, so I have to live with a lot of that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
GT scored a TD with three passes against FSU in the ACCCG in less than a minute and that was without Smelter. The offense works and will work even beter this season.

It's hard to say, "better," but I'm optimistic. As I've gone back and watched old games, I think OL and QB in that order were places of breakdown, and we were still pretty good most years/games. We're better/deeper at those places than ever, imo.

On a related note, does anyone know where to find participation/ minutes for OL in past seasons?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We made several late drives for scores last year when facing a ticking clock....UNC included though we scored too quick I guess :/. I'm not saying we are built for hurry up. Just that we are at no more of a disadvantage than other traditional type, pro style offenses etc. the clemsons of the world are better for that I'll admit....but have other weaknesses in other phases relative to us. But only the negative regarding our O gets churned thru the treadmill year after year by TV boobs.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMHO we are slightly at a disadvantage when we have to go fast for the following reasons:

1) we don't try and go fast as much as other teams; the more you do something the better you get at it.

2) we call in plays from the sidelines which takes a little more time. That allows the astute opposing team to take their time on substitutions as the clock is running down. Otherwise we signal in plays; which we don't do a lot.

3) our passing game is not a high percentage one (52.2% and 107th in CFB last year). So a few missed passes and we are screwed. Like was pointed out by @Carober18 , when everyone knows you are going to pass, it becomes harder. http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category02/sort03.html

We were very fortuitous last year at the end of some halves. We had players who made plays on O. Other than JT and Snoddy, they are all gone. Will we step up again? I hope we don't have to - I hope we beat down the other team on all the other drives so heroics aren't necessary. That damn UGAg game almost killed me.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Holy red shirts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 197