GT vs WF 2/6 7:00 PM

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Two weird stats that gives a great idea of how the game went--maybe even RECORD breaking stats--(1) we went 1 for 24 in FGs to start the game and (2) 17-17 (100%) FT shooting in game for WF.
Somebody check those out.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
There are lots of college teams that run offenses very similar to what we run.
I guess I am still a student of today's basketball trying to figure out this "style" of offense called " Pro Style" that I was not familiar with. I admit I played 50 years ago and modeled my jump shot from watching Jerry West on black and white TV. And I coached 40 years ago modeling my coaching after Whack Hyder and Dean Smith. So I googled, searching to learn about these new styles of offense. The first site I read was at https://synergysports.com/six-styles-of-team-offense-in-mens-college-basketball/ . This site went into detail about the basic movements in basketball described in one of six different team styles, describing the 5 different movements within each style. I believe it was written last year when there were 358 college Division 1 teams, now there are 363. GT is ranked 134, from 125 before last night, Wake moved from 42 to 32. When players are under stress and over matched, they tend to resort to what they are most familiar with. We definitely were over matched last night.

The picture here is quite telling on styles, especially the pro style in the ACC. Last year, there were no teams doing the pro style offense. This year there is at least one identified in statements by our coach. As we have seen, there are risks and uncertainties in first year coaches bringing in a pro style offense that is unfamiliar to the the players and their abilities to execute. Maybe They did not run this style offense in their past. To me, this offense is sequence of basic basketball individual and multiple player movement combinations that takes time to learn as a team. Many players today can do parts of it but not all. I watched Kansas State run a Pro-style offense under 2nd year Jerome Tang, going 26-10 last year and is 15- 8 this season, beating Kansas Monday night. Now I know what it is supposed to look like. His three leading scorers at 15-17 ppg are two guards and a forward, not center-centric. I can see promise with our new guard recruits and George and Ndongo next year after this years ups and downs. So Include this year is like the Wright brothers experimenting with their first airplane. They had many crashes, but in the end they were successful at Kitty Hawk and we fly everywhere today. But they did have to experiment. Thank goodness they never gave up or we would still be on trains going cross country.
1707350030396.png

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
That was the first time, I think, that I have ever turned off a Georgia Tech basketball game. My wife asked me what I was doing when I came upstairs where she was because she knew I couldn't wait to watch the game. I couldn't even explain my answer to her because all I could do was laugh.
Wow. Not even our 64-28 loss to UVA in 2015?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I watched the entire game. That is why I have mentioned 29 as a threshold. That was painful and scars me to this day.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I guess I am still a student of today's basketball trying to figure out this "style" of offense called " Pro Style" that I was not familiar with. I admit I played 50 years ago and modeled my jump shot from watching Jerry West on black and white TV. And I coached 40 years ago modeling my coaching after Whack Hyder and Dean Smith. So I googled, searching to learn about these new styles of offense. The first site I read was at https://synergysports.com/six-styles-of-team-offense-in-mens-college-basketball/ . This site went into detail about the basic movements in basketball described in one of six different team styles, describing the 5 different movements within each style. I believe it was written last year when there were 358 college Division 1 teams, now there are 363. GT is ranked 134, from 125 before last night, Wake moved from 42 to 32. When players are under stress and over matched, they tend to resort to what they are most familiar with. We definitely were over matched last night.

The picture here is quite telling on styles, especially the pro style in the ACC. Last year, there were no teams doing the pro style offense. This year there is at least one identified in statements by our coach. As we have seen, there are risks and uncertainties in first year coaches bringing in a pro style offense that is unfamiliar to the the players and their abilities to execute. Maybe They did not run this style offense in their past. To me, this offense is sequence of basic basketball individual and multiple player movement combinations that takes time to learn as a team. Many players today can do parts of it but not all. I watched Kansas State run a Pro-style offense under 2nd year Jerome Tang, going 26-10 last year and is 15- 8 this season, beating Kansas Monday night. Now I know what it is supposed to look like. His three leading scorers at 15-17 ppg are two guards and a forward, not center-centric. I can see promise with our new guard recruits and George and Ndongo next year after this years ups and downs. So Include this year is like the Wright brothers experimenting with their first airplane. They had many crashes, but in the end they were successful at Kitty Hawk and we fly everywhere today. But they did have to experiment. Thank goodness they never gave up or we would still be on trains going cross country.
View attachment 15704
KQ posted a while ago on his rivals site this breakdown of what the Celtics like to do, with the clear indication that it’s similar to what CDS is conceptually looking to do here.

Pretty good break down of a lot of the concepts we are working towards.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched the replay last night. ( I'm a glutton for punishment ) LOL. WF puched us in the mouth in the first 10 minutes, and we were down 30 before we responded. down 30 the rest of the game. Their pressing our guards was the key. And, of course our weakness in the paint. One other thought. As I was watching our screening, Ndongo was wide open for 3's several times. I think he may be capable of making some of those.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The problem with the beginning of the WF game was we couldn't get a shot to drop (contested or not) and we defended like dog crap.
Some of the shots were just horrible...prayers thrown up with time on the clock to try and get a better shot. Several shots looked like our guy thought he had been fouled and just threw the ball in the direction of the hoop without actually aiming. Then no call.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I watched the replay last night. ( I'm a glutton for punishment ) LOL. WF puched us in the mouth in the first 10 minutes, and we were down 30 before we responded. down 30 the rest of the game. Their pressing our guards was the key. And, of course our weakness in the paint. One other thought. As I was watching our screening, Ndongo was wide open for 3's several times. I think he may be capable of making some of those.
Me thinks WF was quite happy to leave him open for any 3 he wants to take. Make him hit a couple before adjusting.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
It is defenses like these when having a PG that can split the double team on the pick and roll is critical. Mark Price was one of the best at it. You cannot hesitate. or you're trapped.
Good call Leatherneck. Of Georgia Tech's 44 out of over 450 letter winners drafted by the NBA or preceding pro leagues (~1%), from 7 -footer Tiny Hearn in 1930 to Josh Okogie in 2018, Mark has the best pro career Box Minus Plus Score of all our NBA draftees. As discussed earlier, BPM is an estimate of points per 100 possessions a player contributed above the league average player, translated to an average team. Average B+/- player would be zero BPM. All this is analytics and artificial intelligence calculations can make an IM's brain hurt. Our eyes do not fool us on recognizing great players. Bobby Cremins was not fooled either in going to Enid, OK many times to recruit Mark, one of the best point guards in the country, in building his year-4 team to go 27-8 and the NCAA Elite 8, with 5 future NBA players on that team. Bobby went 10-16 his first year. 2027 should be a good year for us if all goes as well as it did for us from 1981 to 1984, our last great rebuilding decade.
1707416979134.png

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Me thinks WF was quite happy to leave him open for any 3 he wants to take. Make him hit a couple before adjusting.
Certainly this with Claude too. I don’t understand putting Claude at the corner 3 spot like we do sometimes.