GT vs WF 2/6 7:00 PM

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It’s hard to know what direction the team and program are moving in after games like this. I don’t know whether to be concerned or excited for the future. I really like CDS, and clearly there’s been a lot of good come from his tenure so far. But there’s also been some absolutely disgusting stinkers like this, Cincy, UGA, ND, and VT. It doesn’t make sense

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't believe I ate the whole thing ... I mean watched the whole game. That was torture.

Perhaps this helps unlock Abram. Surely he can help us, especially on these random nights Kelly doesn't have it.
I couldn’t. Switched to UNC/Clemson

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s hard to know what direction the team and program are moving in after games like this. I don’t know whether to be concerned or excited for the future. I really like CDS, and clearly there’s been a lot of good come from his tenure so far. But there’s also been some absolutely disgusting stinkers like this, Cincy, UGA, ND, and VT. It doesn’t make sense
My honest take and I’m sure people will disagree and that’s fine, is that CDS can’t really coach. He will be able to recruit decently, but when we are going against an actual good coach who has an actual plan/scheme, we get exposed and you can tell he has no plan to counter or come up with something creative.

Maybe he will get better, but at this point it’s a Paul Hewitt situation to me where maybe if he gets a collection of good enough players, they can make a run on pure talent and carry him to a successful season, but his coaching is not going to get us there.

pittkesh99

Georgia Tech Fan
My honest take and I’m sure people will disagree and that’s fine, is that CDS can’t really coach. He will be able to recruit decently, but when we are going against an actual good coach who has an actual plan/scheme, we get exposed and you can tell he has no plan to counter or come up with something creative.

Maybe he will get better, but at this point it’s a Paul Hewitt situation to me where maybe if he gets a collection of good enough players, they can make a run on pure talent and carry him to a successful season, but his coaching is not going to get us there.
I’m not sure if I agree; Every other stop on his resume has shown he can clearly coach well. And he’s had some fantastic games that you could never expect this year.

I think what it comes down to this team is inexperienced and it doesn’t have a veteran leader. Those things, combined with inconsistent to downright awful shooting by some of the expected stars on the team does a number to ya. I think he needs time to get guys that fit into his system; But the level of quality wins he’s been able to pull off with the talent he has is something that has to be admirable and give hope for the future.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Inexplicable first half. I was there watching live. Wake was far more aggressive on defense and offense. They were pushing super fast in transition off of every defensive rebound. When we did occasionally stop the ball and force them to play half court offense they still got dribble penetration all the way to the basket whenever they wanted to. Is on the other end couldn’t get inside the 3 point arc.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not sure if I agree; Every other stop on his resume has shown he can clearly coach well. And he’s had some fantastic games that you could never expect this year.

I think what it comes down to this team is inexperienced and it doesn’t have a veteran leader. Those things, combined with inconsistent to downright awful shooting by some of the expected stars on the team does a number to ya. I think he needs time to get guys that fit into his system; But the level of quality wins he’s been able to pull off with the talent he has is something that has to be admirable and give hope for the future.
Nowadays you don’t get time to get your guys, they just go to the portal and play for a winning program. We have to hope CDS makes us a destination program and not a feeder.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL Pitiful! WF had the 2 things that have destroyed us all year. 1) Big presence inside and 2) quick, pressing guards. We don't have guards other than George who can win one on one matchups. Without that one on one ability, and no big presence inside, we struggle. UNC has the big, but played a soft man to man giving us some good passing and shot attempts. We miss quickness more than anything, everywhere. That and a good big post player.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I saw the score at 4:43 left in the first half. Searched the stats....1-23 from the floor....inexcusable for a D1 team much less an ACC team.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It was almost like Wake Forest had six or seven defenders on the court when we had the ball. We just couldn't get open shots, then the few times that we did we still couldn't put the ball through the net.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Well we did have a good first 59 seconds of the game.
Missed our first shot, play good defense. Got the defensive rebound, Reeves drained a three.
Then we imploded.

Took us until the 4:10 mark for our next basket.

We had more turnovers than made FG (4) in the first half

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Out rebounded, out everything else too.

Plan and simple, we got crushed.

1000004021.png

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Blitzing ball screens not a hard defensive scheme, we're not making the adjustment. Other teams will be paying attn for sure!!
Last game NC State just pressured us everywhere. Today wake just blitz the ball screens. You can’t run an offense that we run and not expect to have your ball screen hedged hard. You have to have an answer. That ain’t that hard to know it’s coming

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I checked the score on the way home. Wish I hadn't. Almost pulled over to lean out the window.
Kelly, Reeves and Sturdy with 6 points in 60 minutes. I don't know what to say.