GT vs Wake, Friday 3/5, 8 PM, ACCN

slugboy

Staff member
ESPN’s “Basketball Power Index” likes the matchup, but it’s a big one for us. Wake is 6-14 overall, and 3-14 in ACC play. They did get in 17 ACC games so far. We beat them 70-54 on January 3rd at home. It was a game that we could have held them to a lot less (can Clemson held them to 39 later in the season).
They lost their last game against Pitt 57-70, even while Pitt seems to be falling apart and players are leaving.
Daiven Williamson (G) is their main scorer. Jonah Antonio seems to kinda sorta be there from outside the arc.
Sorry I can’t give more of a matchup preview—even the Wake people don’t say much about their players. Wake seems to be vulnerable from the 3, so maybe we get healthy from outside (knock wood).

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
ESPN’s “Basketball Power Index” likes the matchup, but it’s a big one for us. Wake is 6-14 overall, and 3-14 in ACC play. They did get in 17 ACC games so far. We beat them 70-54 on January 3rd at home. It was a game that we could have held them to a lot less (can Clemson held them to 39 later in the season).
They lost their last game against Pitt 57-70, even while Pitt seems to be falling apart and players are leaving.
Daiven Williamson (G) is their main scorer. Jonah Antonio seems to kinda sorta be there from outside the arc.
Sorry I can’t give more of a matchup preview—even the Wake people don’t say much about their players. Wake seems to be vulnerable from the 3, so maybe we get healthy from outside (knock wood).
I'm interested to see how CJP does load management with this game. I see it as a 'must win' game still (so we should play to win), but with Jose's hamstring I can see the temptation.

Hopefully we can play a version of next year's team and get some minutes for the bench.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm interested to see how CJP does load management with this game. I see it as a 'must win' game still (so we should play to win), but with Jose's hamstring I can see the temptation.

Hopefully we can play a version of next year's team and get some minutes for the bench.
I have had the same thought/curiosity regarding lineups, Jose's injury, etc for the upcoming Wake game. And my answer each time is the same (so far): do whatever it takes to get into the NCCAT. That is the situation the GT hoops *program* (not just this year's team) is in right now. Take no risks. Take nothing for granted. Just get in the tournament at all costs.

I don't want to get tarred and feathered for saying this, but 2 weeks ago I commented to a fellow GT fan: it would be the most GT thing ever to beat Pitt Miami VT Cuse Dook and move off the bubble and solidly "in" to the tourney projections, then relax and lose at Wake. I say that not to bring bad karma or bad mojo or anything of the sort. I say that because we cannot have a mindset of load management or anything of the sort. Could Jose sit out the whole game to rest and Kyle/Bubba lead us to an easy victory? No doubt. Highly likely. But after a decade in the wilderness, take zero chances. Years of building to this moment, don't take your foot off the gas.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something to be said for repetition and keeping guys sharp. There's also something to be said for not making a situation worse. Right now, I'd be taking the longview: ACCT and NCAAT.

Jose is a warrior, so he'll want to play. We're going to need a healthy Jose come ACCT and NCAAT. Given we'll get a 2 round bye in the ACCT, that means Jose will have even more rest to heal up. Hamstrings are tricky...don't want to make it worse and he's hampered throughout both tournaments.

Between Devoe/Bubba/Sturdivant, I think we should be fine to give Jose a game off. Jose will be there if we really need him...and we shouldn't if we don't crap an egg against Wake.

BTW...how awesome is it to be planning for the ACCT and NCAAT?!! Makes me super happy and excited every time I think about it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
In terms of load management keep in mind we don't have a super deep bench even if we wanted to.

We have Jose, Mike, Bubba, Kyle, Khalid, David, Jordan, Moses, Rodney, and Saba.

If Jose sits it'd be hard to play Mike that few minutes. Even if Kyle got 30 there would still be 50 minutes just at the 2 guard spots. That would also push Moore to be playing almost all the minutes at the 3 unless Usher picks up minutes as well there but that drives up his minutes.

Now I would love if we could go to a line up of something like Kyle, Bubba, Khalid, Saba, Rodney line up get like 15 minutes in the second half straight. But I wouldn't feel comfortable about going to that unless we had a 20+ point lead or so.

What we might want to do is just plan on almost a line sub type of situation. Something like.

Jose, Mike, Khalid, Usher, Moses to start. Then 8 or so minutes in sub in Bubba, Kyle, Saba, and Howard in and leave in Usher or Moore. Then sub the other 4 back in but take out Khalid/Usher and leave either Rodney or Saba in. etc etc

But honestly, I expect us to treat this game in a business manner and have a usual rotation and only go deep to the bench if we get a big lead. Last thing we need to do is fumble the ball at the goal line by losing to wake.

Last edited:

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Wake Forest is a 'trap' game, one that we could lose under the 'right' circumstances if we don't take it seriously. We need to win it. That said, Alvarado needs a night off to help rest and 'rehab' that hamstring. Jose really hasn't been himself offensively these last couple of games. Increased defensive focus on him by the opposition is certainly a factor but I believe so is his strained hammie. We really need him at full strength for the ACCT so my hope is thst CJP will start and play Sturdivant for most of the game at Wake and only bring in Jose during an emergency. It would be a good test for Kyle's leadership. I haven't totally made up my mind on this but I might even have Jose in street clothes at Wake Forest. Jackets Forever!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
In terms of load management keep in mind we don't have a super deep bench even if we wanted to.

We have Jose, Mike, Bubba, Kyle, Khalid, David, Jordan, Moses, Rodney, and Saba.

If Jose sits it'd be hard to play Mike that few minutes. Even if Kyle got 30 there would still be 50 minutes just at the 2 guard spots. That would also push Moore to be playing almost all the minutes at the 3 unless Usher picks up minutes as well there but that drives up his minutes.

Now I would love if we could go to a line up of something like Kyle, Bubba, Khalid, Saba, Rodney line up get like 15 minutes in the second half straight. But I wouldn't feel comfortable about going to that unless we had a 20+ point lead or so.

What we might want to do is just plan on almost a line sub type of situation. Something like.

Jose, Mike, Khalid, Usher, Moses to start. Then 8 or so minutes in sub in Bubba, Kyle, Saba, and Howard in and leave in Usher or Moore. Then sub the other 4 back in but take out Khalid/Usher and leave either Rodney or Saba in. etc etc

But honestly, I expect us to treat this game in a business manner and have a usual rotation and only go deep to the bench if we get a big lead. Last thing we need to do is fumble the ball at the goal line by losing to wake.

Best is to put the game away early. I don't mind sitting Jose and seeing if we can build an advantage from the start, but I really don't want a fluid lineup trying to spell guys. We get in droughts and have problems with turnovers when having to sub players too much.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Yep it was only a few weeks ago that Wake should have won at FSU. They rely on the 3 pointer, so you never know.
As long as wake doesn’t shoot 50% from 3 I think we will be good lol. Moses should have another huge game with how he’s playing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It’s amazing how many dunks Moses gets. He’s turned into mini-Shaq

I've been waiting for him to assert himself like that. One thing he needs to improve on is drawing fouls...he gets defenders in the air and he doesn't draw contact. He can easily put the other team in foul trouble.

Of course, refs have been absolute shyte and not calling contact when it does happen against us...so there's also that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yep it was only a few weeks ago that Wake should have won at FSU. They rely on the 3 pointer, so you never know.
Right. This is still an ACC team with three conference wins under their belts. We should win easily, but we'd better be ready to take care of business or we might not. Any team that relies on the three can get hot outside and make things uncomfortable.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Just something doesn't seem right must win for us and they're senior night coming of 5 losses and us on a high road after beating duke just smell it coming