Article GT vs UCF Postgame Thread

• Highlight

Shorthanded Jackets Fall Short In Home Opener

Jahmyr Gibbs (21) runs for a touchdown (Hyosub Shin / ajc.com)

Atlanta, GA – Down six starters and depth at key positions, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1-1, 1-0) faded late Saturday night in their first home tilt of the 2020 season.  The Central Florida Knights (1-0, 0-0), a respected top 25 program over the last few years, emerged victorious by a final score of 49-21.

The Jackets entered the game with gaps and question marks across its Above The Line (ATL) depth chart when compared to preseason expectations.  Absent from the offense today were starters RB Jordan Mason and TE Dylan Deveney.  Another TE, Dylan Leonard, was a scratch.

The damage done to the defense made matters worse.  Tech’s defensive line was missing starters DE Antonneous Clayton, DT TK Chimedza and DL Antwan Owens along with key rotational player DE Curtis Ryans, a key cog in the Jackets’ week 1 win against Florida State.  Tech’s top CB Tre Swilling also missed his second consecutive game.

“We had to get creative in practice this week… minimal 12 personnel on offense and three down linemen on defense,” said Head Coach Geoff Collins in his postgame interview with radioman Wiley Ballard.

Let’s be clear.  Neither Collins nor the players claimed moral victories.  Save those for today’s victor who is wont for fabricated titles and hardware.

For Tech the mantra is next man up.  The team fought valiantly, showing signs of life into the 4th quarter against an opponent that most outside of the Georgia Tech program expected to roll easily today.  A 33-yard touchdown run by true freshman RB Jahmyr Gibbs narrowed the Knights’ lead to 28-21 with 13:12 remaining in the game.  The home crowd was energized as was the home team.

But football games are won on the line of scrimmage, and Tech began with one hand tied behind its back on the defensive front.  Evidence of wear and tear to that unit showed itself late as the Knights’ vaunted offense reasserted itself in the 4th quarter, scoring three consecutive touchdowns immediately after Gibbs’ jaunt without much resistance.  Tech’s offense sputtered in response, and the final chapter of the story was written.

Despite the absence of key players, the Jackets had plenty of opportunities within their control to affect the outcome of the game.  Turnovers and special teams often determine college football games and today was no different.

Following an impressive first game despite a few mistakes, QB Jeff Sims led a Tech offense today that coughed up the ball five times.  Of the Jackets five turnovers, two came thru the air and three came via the ground game.

Special teams was a mixed bag.  Rarely is “mixed bag” a positive, however after the debacle in Tallahassee that descriptor is an improvement.  The Jackets must resolve its field goal issues to become a threat in the ACC this year and in the future.  See 2014.  Otherwise, “mixed bag” will lead to a new definition for “scoring range”.

There were certainly signs of light.  Jahmyr Gibbs lived up to his billing, ripping off a 75 yard kickoff return on his first collegiate touch.  Gibbs finished with 219 all purpose yards and two touchdowns. 

Tech’s offense has now shown a pattern of improvement as compared to last year.  Sims led the offense to 471 yards of total offense.  Nine different receivers caught balls for 244 yards thru the air, demonstrating a balance and proficiency without needing to rely on one or two playmakers.  To that end, noticeably absent despite the team success were WR Ahmarean Brown and WR Jalen Camp, each of which tallied a single reception for 11 yards.

The Jackets managed 12 chunk plays, defined as passing plays of 15+ yards and running plays of 10+ yards.  The distribution was an even 6 and 6, respectively.  Overall the offense produced 5.8 yards per play and converted 7 of 15 third downs.

Last but certainly not least, punter Pressley Harvin remained an “absolute unit”, averaging 51.2 yards per punt.  Of his four punts, three ended up inside the 20, with one boom ball traveling 70 yards.

Ultimately it was feast or famine on offense.  Combined with a shorthanded defense forced to play 92 plays, the flood gates opened late for Tech’s foe.  Next week brings Tech back into ACC play with a road trip to Syracuse and an opportunity to go 2-0 in ACC play.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
While I agree that you can't win with 6 turnovers, those are not independent variables in this experiment. If we had a better called game, the need to do some of the stuff that led to turnovers wouldn't have been there. It's a momentum game, and the no-calls, horrific spots and help with ball placement certainly affected that. I get that we have to play through it. I'm just saying it sucks that it was required. I think the ACC should review the game and refuse to play with AAC refs again. They won't since our name doesn't start with UNC, but here's wishing.
Don't play the AAC teams at all. They use these games to recruit against us. I am still amazed at the reversal on targeting. Lots of holding and no calls. We still have problems with pressuring the QB. Got beat a lot on deep throws. I thought should have pulled Sims on the last possession before he threw to a lineman. Taking a chance of injury when game is over anyway. Let Yates play. So far I am not that impressed with our game day staff. Waiting to see more than I have seen so far. Decent recruiting but got to take it on the field. Just how long do we have to wait. Are we in a perpetual wait til next year cycle. I hope not.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The good:
•Jordan Williams played another great game.
•Chico Bennett and Jared Ivey will become a dynamic duo in 3rd down situations in the near future
•Gibbs is the real deal. Looked like Jamaal Charles today.
•Demetrious Knight is a baller, needs to play more.
•Sims is going to be a Star

The Bad:
•Turnovers
•Awareness of Coaching Staff when subbing against the fastest offense in the country
•End of half clock management(we should not have spiked the ball)

The Ugly:
•Coach Collins Vest
•Coach P relying too much on the pass in early down situations

We just played a good team, I’m not discouraged.
They were better than us today. Fortunately, we are rising.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
The one thing ive been disappointed in so far this year is Tariq and Juanyeh. They love running their mouth on twitter too. Need them to put up or shut up.
Juanyeh and riq are liabilities in coverage. They just are, they are decent tacklers in the box but they just aren’t fast enough for coverage. They both had really poor games, but wesley walker had a rough, rough game...watching the tape won’t be pleasant.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I want to point out that their QB is shorter than all four of our guys.
Yep, and soft. We should have hit him every time he called the read option, just like teams would hit our QBs whether they pitched the ball or not. Yeah, sure, they would have gotten more yards. But it's not like we were stopping them anyway. But we needed to get him scared and afraid to be hit. We just didn't take advantage of our superior physicality...that's coaching.

Deleted member 2897

There probably isn't an example of a team winning a game being -4 in the turnover margin in the last few seasons. Get that fixed and we can be competitive. Injuries suck but they had guys out too.

IIRC, we had 6 turnovers against a terrible Duke team back in like 1994 and won 20-17. It really takes a miracle. You’re basically giving yourself about 5 possessions while your opponent gets 15.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I thought we would play better. We actually regressed from game 1 rather than making the most improvement between game 1 and game 2. I think our game plan was off on both sides of the ball. We needed to possess the ball and slow the game down. It seemed like our offensive line fell back into last years level of performance. Poor pass blocking and could not run block at all. The good runs we made were a result of the backs juking and finding their own holes. We should have run the ball a lot more and forced the line to perform. Coach P called a poor game and put Sims in a lot of bad situations. Sims did not have a good game and looked like a true freshman. Our receivers played poorly all around. Even with all that we still had a chance to win but refused to take advantage when we had the opportunity. The defense played hard but I think we got out coached by their Offensive Coordinator. We blitzed a lot but rarely got home. We needed to fire our corners and put some kill shots on the QB. He was much too comfortable the entire game. We rallied at half time and came out playing great in the third quarter but when we had to have it, the defense could not step up and make the critical stop to give us a chance to win. It looked like they quit in the fourth quarter.

This team is a lot like last year's team. It might be a little better as the year goes along but for now we are just not a very good team. UCF is a good but not great team and will lose several games this year. We are going to have to get a lot tougher and cut out a lot of the mistakes if we want to win more than 3 games. The coaching needs some improvement as well. Disappointing is the final summation I would have for our effort during this game.

Go Jackets!

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
yep. saw that happen once late in the game. our guy got up and looked like he was afraid he had gotten flag, because their refs were protecting their boy beyond belief.

but, he is a pansy. we should've hit every time we had the chance.

Yep, and soft. We should have hit him every time he called the read option, just like teams would hit our QBs whether they pitched the ball or not. Yeah, sure, they would have gotten more yards. But it's not like we were stopping them anyway. But we needed to get him scared and afraid to be hit. We just didn't take advantage of our superior physicality...that's coaching.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
IIRC, we had 6 turnovers against a terrible Duke team back in like 1994 and won 20-17. It really takes a miracle. You’re basically giving yourself about 5 possessions while your opponent gets 15.
This is a good point. We need to value every possession. Young players are frequently too optimistic about their future opportunities.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s SIMS, not SIMMS. Learn our QB’s name so you don’t look like a moron.

Also, I’m glad we kept Sims throwing the ball. We can’t go in a shell in a meaningless game. We are ahead of schedule so keep the pressure on him to learn. It was only 8 days ago where none of us knew if we had a real P5 QB. He is a sponge and every scenario will make him a better QB when it matters. Sims got a seasons worth of tape in a game that is inconsequential. That play where we had 2 guys wide open and he missed, he will see it on tape and be a more dangerous QB. And Gibbs isn’t going to be a star, he is a star today. He’ll get some honors this week.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Don't play the AAC teams at all. They use these games to recruit against us. I am still amazed at the reversal on targeting. Lots of holding and no calls. We still have problems with pressuring the QB. Got beat a lot on deep throws. I thought should have pulled Sims on the last possession before he threw to a lineman. Taking a chance of injury when game is over anyway. Let Yates play. So far I am not that impressed with our game day staff. Waiting to see more than I have seen so far. Decent recruiting but got to take it on the field. Just how long do we have to wait. Are we in a perpetual wait til next year cycle. I hope not.
Agreed. I personally feel the power 5 should not ever play the AAC again. There is nothing to gain from it. If you lose, you lose to a crap conference, if you win you prove the world right that they are lesser. I'm surprised they are not blackballed from playing power 5 teams. Literally nothing to gain. Plus the majority of the academics are a joke in the AAC. Ucf? Might as well be Chattahoochee technical college with a large following. Their early career salary is 40k which you can now make at lowes as a full time employ. Mid career is 60k.... people literally wasting their money going to school there.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Careful...people here will say you are "crying" about patenaude and tell you to give it a rest
I don't want their OC. We just got rid of a gimmick offense that half of P5 was lobbying to change the rules to make it less successful (which they did.) If we started this super-fast pace crap UNC would get rules passed to require time to replace defensive players for "Player Safety." We just need a year more and we'll smoke them.