Article GT vs UCF Postgame Thread

• Highlight

Shorthanded Jackets Fall Short In Home Opener

Jahmyr Gibbs (21) runs for a touchdown (Hyosub Shin / ajc.com)

Atlanta, GA – Down six starters and depth at key positions, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1-1, 1-0) faded late Saturday night in their first home tilt of the 2020 season.  The Central Florida Knights (1-0, 0-0), a respected top 25 program over the last few years, emerged victorious by a final score of 49-21.

The Jackets entered the game with gaps and question marks across its Above The Line (ATL) depth chart when compared to preseason expectations.  Absent from the offense today were starters RB Jordan Mason and TE Dylan Deveney.  Another TE, Dylan Leonard, was a scratch.

The damage done to the defense made matters worse.  Tech’s defensive line was missing starters DE Antonneous Clayton, DT TK Chimedza and DL Antwan Owens along with key rotational player DE Curtis Ryans, a key cog in the Jackets’ week 1 win against Florida State.  Tech’s top CB Tre Swilling also missed his second consecutive game.

“We had to get creative in practice this week… minimal 12 personnel on offense and three down linemen on defense,” said Head Coach Geoff Collins in his postgame interview with radioman Wiley Ballard.

Let’s be clear.  Neither Collins nor the players claimed moral victories.  Save those for today’s victor who is wont for fabricated titles and hardware.

For Tech the mantra is next man up.  The team fought valiantly, showing signs of life into the 4th quarter against an opponent that most outside of the Georgia Tech program expected to roll easily today.  A 33-yard touchdown run by true freshman RB Jahmyr Gibbs narrowed the Knights’ lead to 28-21 with 13:12 remaining in the game.  The home crowd was energized as was the home team.

But football games are won on the line of scrimmage, and Tech began with one hand tied behind its back on the defensive front.  Evidence of wear and tear to that unit showed itself late as the Knights’ vaunted offense reasserted itself in the 4th quarter, scoring three consecutive touchdowns immediately after Gibbs’ jaunt without much resistance.  Tech’s offense sputtered in response, and the final chapter of the story was written.

Despite the absence of key players, the Jackets had plenty of opportunities within their control to affect the outcome of the game.  Turnovers and special teams often determine college football games and today was no different.

Following an impressive first game despite a few mistakes, QB Jeff Sims led a Tech offense today that coughed up the ball five times.  Of the Jackets five turnovers, two came thru the air and three came via the ground game.

Special teams was a mixed bag.  Rarely is “mixed bag” a positive, however after the debacle in Tallahassee that descriptor is an improvement.  The Jackets must resolve its field goal issues to become a threat in the ACC this year and in the future.  See 2014.  Otherwise, “mixed bag” will lead to a new definition for “scoring range”.

There were certainly signs of light.  Jahmyr Gibbs lived up to his billing, ripping off a 75 yard kickoff return on his first collegiate touch.  Gibbs finished with 219 all purpose yards and two touchdowns. 

Tech’s offense has now shown a pattern of improvement as compared to last year.  Sims led the offense to 471 yards of total offense.  Nine different receivers caught balls for 244 yards thru the air, demonstrating a balance and proficiency without needing to rely on one or two playmakers.  To that end, noticeably absent despite the team success were WR Ahmarean Brown and WR Jalen Camp, each of which tallied a single reception for 11 yards.

The Jackets managed 12 chunk plays, defined as passing plays of 15+ yards and running plays of 10+ yards.  The distribution was an even 6 and 6, respectively.  Overall the offense produced 5.8 yards per play and converted 7 of 15 third downs.

Last but certainly not least, punter Pressley Harvin remained an “absolute unit”, averaging 51.2 yards per punt.  Of his four punts, three ended up inside the 20, with one boom ball traveling 70 yards.

Ultimately it was feast or famine on offense.  Combined with a shorthanded defense forced to play 92 plays, the flood gates opened late for Tech’s foe.  Next week brings Tech back into ACC play with a road trip to Syracuse and an opportunity to go 2-0 in ACC play.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yes, but they’re also supposed to hold the ball until the officials (including the chain crew) gets set. It sounds like they weren’t even doing that.,
We needed to substitute quite a few times and could not because CF left all their players on the field so the refs put the ball in play. A couple times the chain gang was screwed up, but the bigger issue was our players were too out of shape to play every down and got gassed. Then we got whipped.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
One layman's postgame write-up is now up top.

A few notes to add context.
  1. Turnovers: I said we had 5 turnovers. The 6 turnovers that everyone mentions includes a turnover on downs. That's a reasonable take, but I'll say that I consider that a lot like a missed FG in that we fired all of our bullets and failed.
  2. Depth: I said we had 6 starters missing, good for 27% of our starters (6 out of 22; O and D only). Reality is you could elevate that number to 7 if we include Devin Cochran. That would bring our total to 32% of our starters missing. Let's called it 1/3.
  3. Overall talent: Re: expectations of this year's team, I'll restate a portion of my transcription of Coach George O'Leary's midweek radio comments re: GT to a UCF radio station:
    • "...they still have a lot of holes to fill to be a solid D1 team that can take on everybody that they need to take on to win championships, and I think Geoff knows that".

Deleted member 2897

I like to sit back and look at what we have and try as best I can to be unbiased about it.

Our running game is great. Our passing game is much better. Our pass protection is much better. Our receivers are getting open and have maybe 1drop through a couple games, and have caught many difficult passes.

We’re still young and not great. But we’ve made big strides. I can’t sit here and say we could have won had we had 0 turnovers. We’re going to make freshman mistakes.

But if we continue to clean up some of the easier mistakes, I still see several games we can win. Syracuse, Wake Forest, Duke, Boston College, NC State. And that’s just to start depending on our improvement. We’re still -0 in the ACC. If we can go 5-5 in the ACC, CGC might get ACC coach of the year. That could be 7th place. I really feel like we have shown enough to be a solid middle team this year. While the mistakes have been frustrating, we’re putting up 2x the offense we were last year. We’re getting there.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I am flabbergasted here. People just can't change their opinions like that! That's like admitting that maybe you were wrong about something!!! 😲

Just curious, in regards to the playcalling. Do you think it is better than last year? Or is it the same but perhaps more experience and/or better personnel is making it appear to be better?

I have always maintained that there is insufficient data even now to truly know what we have. I have seen things improve in general from last year and that is encouraging.
OL Line play is better....allowing Coach P offense to be a bit better.... However I still had some issues in the game with his play calling..... But I think I was spoiled by CPJ as a great "in game OC"... Coach P is not even cloase to CPJ "in game calls" he is more like Chan Gailey era OCs...

I do think I was a bit harsh last year becuase I just assumed they would try to win games and install there Offense over a couple of years... Coach Collins with the security of a 7 year contract basically install everything and ripped off the band aid and used a zero year to install his systems/Brand/... So far 1-1 doesn't look to bad espcially when the loss is to the #12 team in the nation and we are playing a bunch of true freshman....

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
For those wondering about Sims and the deep pass. We have played two teams with cover guys all with 4.4 speed. That pretty much eliminates the deep ball. AB is matched with that speed. When we play teams like Pitt and the Cuse there should be more opportunities. That being said when we play Clemson, Miami and Louisville, there will be fewer.
Don't think that had anything to do with it. We had opportunities deep when our guys had a step. Sims kept missing by about 10 yards.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
UCF won because they have better talent/experience at the line of scrimmage and had fewer turnovers.

Why do people always blame the coaches? If in 4 years we lose because the opposition has better talent at the line of scrimmage, you can blame the coaches. If you need to blame coaches for the game yesterday, just say Scott Frost was a better recruiter than Paul Johnson (unless you are talking about A-Backs).
Dude just stop. You really think the coaches won’t deserve blame for the next few years if they’re out-coached? Have you ever held a job with responsibilities?

slugboy

Staff member
Here are UCF’s stats from last year. They averaged 541 yards/game. Most games didn’t have 5 turnovers in their favor. There was some stat-padding in the 4th quarter as they used garbage time scoring and yardage when we were worn out.

PassRushTotaFirsPenaTurn
SplitGCmpAttPctYdsTDAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgPassRushPenTotNo.YdsFumIntTot
Offense1320.835.259.3316.72.842.9224.85.22.678.1541.56.911.011.82.825.68.573.20.50.61.2
Defense1317.733.852.4199.51.342.0146.63.51.175.8346.14.69.28.52.420.27.870.50.61.01.6
Difference+3.1+1.4+6.9+117.2+1.5+0.9+78.2+1.7+1.5+2.3+195.4+2.3+1.8+3.3+0.4+5.4+0.7+2.7-0.1-0.4-0.4

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 9/20/2020.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I like to sit back and look at what we have and try as best I can to be unbiased about it.

Our running game is great. Our passing game is much better. Our pass protection is much better. Our receivers are getting open and have maybe 1drop through a couple games, and have caught many difficult passes.

We’re still young and not great. But we’ve made big strides. I can’t sit here and say we could have won had we had 0 turnovers. We’re going to make freshman mistakes.

But if we continue to clean up some of the easier mistakes, I still see several games we can win. Syracuse, Wake Forest, Duke, Boston College, NC State. And that’s just to start depending on our improvement. We’re still -0 in the ACC. If we can go 5-5 in the ACC, CGC might get ACC coach of the year. That could be 7th place. I really feel like we have shown enough to be a solid middle team this year. While the mistakes have been frustrating, we’re putting up 2x the offense we were last year. We’re getting there.
We have had a few drops Camp in the endzone although that was probably PI and the Ward drop yesterday come to
Dude just stop. You really think the coaches won’t deserve blame for the next few years if they’re out-coached? Have you ever held a job with responsibilities?
Im not saying the coaches are completely off the hook here because we got smoked in several areas that need to get cleaned up but turnovers happen when 2 of the 3 guys who touched the ball the most yesterday are true freshman

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
We have had a few drops Camp in the endzone although that was probably PI and the Ward drop yesterday come to mind

Im not saying the coaches are completely off the hook here because we got smoked in several areas that need to get cleaned up but turnovers happen when 2 of the 3 guys who touched the ball the most yesterday are true freshman

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I believe GT has better individual talent on the field, but UCF has a better winning formula. This is a well-coached team with a legit QB.

I'm just going to say it. Being at the game today I've observed how dysfunctional the coaches were at times. Thacker and Collins jawed at each other several times. At certain points, they couldn't make a decision on what play to call and had to burn timeouts. Ultimately it was the turnover that did this team in, but the coaching staff have to figure it out.

Comments like this makes us sound like pansies. This is a EXTREMELY competitive environment, you’re going get heated moments. I’m pretty sure if that were laxed or nonchalant, that would’ve been a issue as well

Deleted member 2897

Play Allen in the back and Tariq over curry

That was my opinion yesterday, that we should’ve played a bunch of hybrid players in the LB space instead of so many DL and slow people like Curry. When they’re gassed, they’re of no help. Tariq (for example) is much faster than Curry and can recover between plays better too. That was one of my main complaints for the coaches, that they knew that type of offense would be a weakness for our fitness, and I could not see any creative adjustments that they were making.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This staff gets culture, branding, and recruiting.

Do I wish they were better in-game coaches? Yes.

Would we like to have all of it together? Of course.

However, I do believe that talent beats scheme and recruiting beats coaching (you can cite your exceptions. I’m talking in general), so I’ll take what we’ve got and run with it.
Well, I think it can for sure. But you have to be good enough at in-game coaching to not put yourself at a distinct disadvantage. Some of the things we’ve been doing are just flat out stupid.

Botched clock management at end of Citadel game
Running plays instead of kneeling out the NC State game
Spiking the ball with 1:32 on first and goal on Saturday

These are basic football concepts that casual fans even grasp and have nothing to do with scheming and calling plays, and are outside anything that talent can overcome. I don’t have much confidence in these guys to not make some bonehead mistake at a crucial time that costs us a game.

Do we need to hire a game manager to just tell our coaches what to do in these situations?