Article GT vs UCF Postgame Thread

• Highlight

Shorthanded Jackets Fall Short In Home Opener

Jahmyr Gibbs (21) runs for a touchdown (Hyosub Shin / ajc.com)

Atlanta, GA – Down six starters and depth at key positions, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1-1, 1-0) faded late Saturday night in their first home tilt of the 2020 season.  The Central Florida Knights (1-0, 0-0), a respected top 25 program over the last few years, emerged victorious by a final score of 49-21.

The Jackets entered the game with gaps and question marks across its Above The Line (ATL) depth chart when compared to preseason expectations.  Absent from the offense today were starters RB Jordan Mason and TE Dylan Deveney.  Another TE, Dylan Leonard, was a scratch.

The damage done to the defense made matters worse.  Tech’s defensive line was missing starters DE Antonneous Clayton, DT TK Chimedza and DL Antwan Owens along with key rotational player DE Curtis Ryans, a key cog in the Jackets’ week 1 win against Florida State.  Tech’s top CB Tre Swilling also missed his second consecutive game.

“We had to get creative in practice this week… minimal 12 personnel on offense and three down linemen on defense,” said Head Coach Geoff Collins in his postgame interview with radioman Wiley Ballard.

Let’s be clear.  Neither Collins nor the players claimed moral victories.  Save those for today’s victor who is wont for fabricated titles and hardware.

For Tech the mantra is next man up.  The team fought valiantly, showing signs of life into the 4th quarter against an opponent that most outside of the Georgia Tech program expected to roll easily today.  A 33-yard touchdown run by true freshman RB Jahmyr Gibbs narrowed the Knights’ lead to 28-21 with 13:12 remaining in the game.  The home crowd was energized as was the home team.

But football games are won on the line of scrimmage, and Tech began with one hand tied behind its back on the defensive front.  Evidence of wear and tear to that unit showed itself late as the Knights’ vaunted offense reasserted itself in the 4th quarter, scoring three consecutive touchdowns immediately after Gibbs’ jaunt without much resistance.  Tech’s offense sputtered in response, and the final chapter of the story was written.

Despite the absence of key players, the Jackets had plenty of opportunities within their control to affect the outcome of the game.  Turnovers and special teams often determine college football games and today was no different.

Following an impressive first game despite a few mistakes, QB Jeff Sims led a Tech offense today that coughed up the ball five times.  Of the Jackets five turnovers, two came thru the air and three came via the ground game.

Special teams was a mixed bag.  Rarely is “mixed bag” a positive, however after the debacle in Tallahassee that descriptor is an improvement.  The Jackets must resolve its field goal issues to become a threat in the ACC this year and in the future.  See 2014.  Otherwise, “mixed bag” will lead to a new definition for “scoring range”.

There were certainly signs of light.  Jahmyr Gibbs lived up to his billing, ripping off a 75 yard kickoff return on his first collegiate touch.  Gibbs finished with 219 all purpose yards and two touchdowns. 

Tech’s offense has now shown a pattern of improvement as compared to last year.  Sims led the offense to 471 yards of total offense.  Nine different receivers caught balls for 244 yards thru the air, demonstrating a balance and proficiency without needing to rely on one or two playmakers.  To that end, noticeably absent despite the team success were WR Ahmarean Brown and WR Jalen Camp, each of which tallied a single reception for 11 yards.

The Jackets managed 12 chunk plays, defined as passing plays of 15+ yards and running plays of 10+ yards.  The distribution was an even 6 and 6, respectively.  Overall the offense produced 5.8 yards per play and converted 7 of 15 third downs.

Last but certainly not least, punter Pressley Harvin remained an “absolute unit”, averaging 51.2 yards per punt.  Of his four punts, three ended up inside the 20, with one boom ball traveling 70 yards.

Ultimately it was feast or famine on offense.  Combined with a shorthanded defense forced to play 92 plays, the flood gates opened late for Tech’s foe.  Next week brings Tech back into ACC play with a road trip to Syracuse and an opportunity to go 2-0 in ACC play.

Last edited:

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with others that mentioned the new look to the stadium. Looked great! Am looking forward to a night game under the new lights.

Something else I noticed at the game that likely did not show up on TV, was how quickly the refs set the ball in play for UCF. On one occasion in the second half, the play went for a first down and the ref ran with the ball and placed it at the centers hand without looking at the sideline for the marker. I am pretty sure the chains were not set prior to the snap.

They were still moving the chains after the play started. No idea on the rules on that.

There were times I noticed when they held us from snapping the ball. Not that we were moving particularly fast, it was clear we were having more issues on offense today.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I believe GT has better individual talent on the field, but UCF has a better winning formula. This is a well-coached team with a legit QB.

I'm just going to say it. Being at the game today I've observed how dysfunctional the coaches were at times. Thacker and Collins jawed at each other several times. At certain points, they couldn't make a decision on what play to call and had to burn timeouts. Ultimately it was the turnover that did this team in, but the coaching staff have to figure it out.
Wow. That’s not good.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I think this is an understatement. There’s no doubt the offense looks better than last year, but that’s due to improved O line and QB play. The play calling on offense in the red zone is awful.

Honorable mention: the idiotic decision to clock the ball with about 1:30 left in the half on first and goal and a time out. We scored, but we should have been trying to score with as little time on the clock as possible. Instead we still took it to third down to score, but only took 20 seconds off the clock!!! Our staff continues to do things like this that make me question their ability to manage a game.
I agree. Our time management needs improving. With almost 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter with UCF leading 35 to 21 why go for a 1st down at mid field on 4th and 10? That was not necessary. Punt them deep.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Wow. That’s not good.

This staff gets culture, branding, and recruiting.

Do I wish they were better in-game coaches? Yes.

Would we like to have all of it together? Of course.

However, I do believe that talent beats scheme and recruiting beats coaching (you can cite your exceptions. I’m talking in general), so I’ll take what we’ve got and run with it.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
They were still moving the chains after the play started. No idea on the rules on that.

There were times I noticed when they held us from snapping the ball. Not that we were moving particularly fast, it was clear we were having more issues on offense today.

If there are substitutions on offense, the official will hold the snap until the defense has a chance to substitute.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
So, I'm sitting here watching the game again and here are my observations.

UCF won because they were in better shape and were better coached. Heupel said coming out at half that the first quarter our defense came out in something they had never seen from us on film. That took them a little to adjust. Seems that way in the 2nd half as well. One of the other things that seemed to fall their way, was we were absolutely gassed on defense in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Rarely could we even get lined up correctly. That is because we’re we were completely gassed.

On to some positives. Charlie Thomas and knight are badasses. They need to be on the field all the time. Walton seemed to be locked down on his guy.

On offense. I spent the majority of last year complaining about Patenaude. His playing calling is good. We had people open. Our running game was good. As far as Gibbs is concerned he was superb vision and is a natural offensive player. He is going to be outstanding. He also has the amazing balance To where he gets every available yard. That is there. He’s gonna be fun. Dontae Smith is pretty great as well. We have really potential with him as well.
Ezzard has been extremely consistent. He knows how to play football as well and find the soft stop in the defense. I think our receivers are outstanding. May not just run by you, but they are solid.

Oline seemed to have much more trouble with UCF than FSU and all the talent that was talked about FSU.

sims was what you should expect from a freshman. He has his strengths and weaknesses. His strengths are extreme accuracy on underneath routes, quick decision Making on the first underneath option, and his pocket presence is wonderful as well. He is also tough as nails. He took some huge hits and got up smiling. I still remember the hit that seem to shatter Vad Lee’s confidence against UNC. He does not have the natural vision that Gibbs has running the ball down field. Also, he doesn’t seem to prepare himself for contact, when contact is obvious. I hope he learns this sooner rather than later for his own sake. He doesn’t seem to have great accuracy down the field. He has the tools and potential to be great. Let’s hope he continues to progress.

I do believe the only thing that separated the two teams yesterday was we were completely worn out in the 2nd and 4th quarters and they seemed perfectly fine. And that was the difference in the game. That was where most of our TOs were. That is where it got out of hand.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yesterday was disappointing only because we learned we weren’t quite what we hoped we could be. I think we all knew we aren’t quite there yet going in, but I know as a fan I’m always hopeful we’ll play way above our weight. The overall signs are positive so I’ll remain positive.

a. Gibbs- I’m really not understanding the over the top hype. He was used well out of backfield for some good passing gains, he’s got above average speed in open field but running between the tackles is not there yet. He may develop but he’s not Dwyer and it’s hard to see him getting there in my opinion. A memorable back he’ll likely be if he can remain injury free.

b. Sims played more like a Freshman, it’s going to happen, but he’s clearly a good QB and if we start shuttling QBs I’m gonna be pissed. I think his long ball accuracy will improve in time, it’s only game 2.

c. D was too depleted to hang. We have enough talent, just running out of heads. CF’s scheme did a number on us. No way we were ready for HUNH, too much failing to get lined up & staring at sidelines looking for something.

d. I think @boger2337 nailed it on the coaches. There’s able to compete with the FSU’s of the ACC but need to up their game if we’re going to win a lot of games. With program attention comes extra demands on your time from media, etc. They need to be able to manage it all.

e. This turf is an issue. If we had the wrong cleats again fine, get it fixed, but if not we’re going to have a lot of injury issues. The stadium looked refreshed, but that’s about it, nothing really spectacular.

f. I did not see the iron pumping pre-game. Please tell me that was a joke. I was stuck in the beer line.

g. Management of turnstiles by GT was not all jacked up but we arrived 45 mins early expecting a fiasco. They looked organized and prepared, unlike the beer guy. He looked like they had just found him on Techwood and gave him a job on the spot. Wifi was horrible.

Other than the fact I have to return to work Monday to face a bunch of snot nosed punks at work hounding me, this game seems to represent another step on the journey.

GTFLETCH

Banned
The loss wasn't as bad as it looked..I think our defense faded, but I am sure depth was an issue with all the guys out... Just think we are down some players... DL Martin/TK....DE Clayton/Ryans.... DB...Swilling/Huff..... Both Dylan TE...STarting RB...

There were a few runs by Gibbs were he didn't let the hole develop and he ran the wrong way and was tackled for loss... I think Simms/Gibbs/Griff will most certianly get better and learn from there mistakes.... I think if the Defense can get Clayton, Ryans and Swilling back we should be ok in ACC play (ND & Clemson will be rough games like the UCF game)... But in the COVID era, you never know who will be held out... Going to be a crazy year.... For Sure

GTFLETCH

Banned
People are complaining about Gibbs when he was our best skill position player in his first college game😂. Without Gibbs we probably lose 14-42 21-42?
Crazy..... I am not sure why.... He played great for the first game... and will get better and if one can not see his talent then well maybe they just want to complain.... Year three with Sims and Gibbs is going to be Crazy!!!

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Crazy..... I am not sure why.... He played great for the first game... and will get better and if one can not see his talent then well maybe they just want to complain.... Year three with Sims and Gibbs is going to be Crazy!!!
People who were acting like he was going to be Adrian Peterson or Hershel Walker week 1 were just WAY to high on him anyway. That doesn’t mean he can’t be an elite back.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
On offense. I spent the majority of last year complaining about Patenaude. His playing calling is good. We had people open. Our running game was good.

I am flabbergasted here. People just can't change their opinions like that! That's like admitting that maybe you were wrong about something!!! 😲

Just curious, in regards to the playcalling. Do you think it is better than last year? Or is it the same but perhaps more experience and/or better personnel is making it appear to be better?

I have always maintained that there is insufficient data even now to truly know what we have. I have seen things improve in general from last year and that is encouraging.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m not complaining, he’s a good solid RB that’s clearly a Freshman. The comparisons are to all-time elite GT RBs. Not sure he had that kind of Wow game but it’s your opinion and you may very well be correct. I hope you are because that means we’re going to win a lot of games riding on his back alone.

slugboy

Staff member
If there are substitutions on offense, the official will hold the snap until the defense has a chance to substitute.
Yes, but they’re also supposed to hold the ball until the officials (including the chain crew) gets set. It sounds like they weren’t even doing that.,

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You left off a coach that is 53. :). We have the tools to establish a running game but we cant/won't. The passing game is fun to watch but handing the ball off six yards deep each time wont work. Even the pros understand why you have to play under center.
How many of UCF's snaps were under center? Not being snarky, but my recollection is zero or near zero, and so I wonder if this is just a fallacy based on our recent history.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
UCF won because they were in better shape and were better coached.

UCF won because they have better talent/experience at the line of scrimmage and had fewer turnovers.

Why do people always blame the coaches? If in 4 years we lose because the opposition has better talent at the line of scrimmage, you can blame the coaches. If you need to blame coaches for the game yesterday, just say Scott Frost was a better recruiter than Paul Johnson (unless you are talking about A-Backs).

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
People who were acting like he was going to be Adrian Peterson or Hershel Walker week 1 were just WAY to high on him anyway. That doesn’t mean he can’t be an elite back.

I remember one play yesterday with him getting to the corner when it looked like there was nothing there and getting 8 yards. It wasn't the type of run that makes a highlight reel but it looked like some of the many elite backs that Uga has had just getting 8-9 yards a pop against us so easily over the years. He is going to stand out here barring any unusual circumstances.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I find it hard to paint a pretty picture on defense after giving up 660 yards. My concern is that the defensive backs were outmatched. Numbers 6 and 16 for UCF were impressive.

Any word on if Swilling will be back anytime soon?

I agree there is young talent in the backfield, but thought Mason's leadership was missed on offense. Also, any info if/when he will be back?