GT vs Nebraska

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe it's just me--I couldn't watch until the first half was mostly over--but they team didn't look stoked to have flown to Nebraska to play in an empty arena during finals week. The game seemed slow, but maybe that was the atmosphere.
Two wins in a row beats two losses in a row.
Our three point defense got better in the second half. It also took a while for Moses to "click", but when he did, we built a lead up.
Rebounding was weak for a while, and so was outside shooting, but both got better in the last 10 minutes.
I could nit-pick, but getting a road win during finals week in the middle of nowhere in a dead arena is a good thing, and I'll take it.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is a game where Jose just said F it and put the team on his back. It was ugly and chippy pretty much all game. But when it counted it was Jose and to a lesser extent Moses that decided to be the difference makers.

The transfer from Pitt is the kind of player that would get run into multiple picks in an old school double post set. He had more than a couple of cheap plays.

Interesting to see the lineup CJP went with for the final 12. Usher I understand as he was OOC Usher tonight. Devoe was an interesting decision.

This was a gritty and fun team to watch tonight. Don't know how transferable it is going forward but doesn't matter for tonight. Fun to watch a gritty team find a way to get enough rebounds and stops to go with some of Jose's offense.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Game was closer than it should have been due to atrocious officiating, but nice to see us clearly pull ahead to end the game. Some encouraging signs the last two games beyond just the wins, and the margins.

Second straight game with single digit turnovers. That was a major potential area of improvement for the team this year and hopefully that's a good sign.
FT shooting is pretty nice.
Scoring overall is up from last year by the looks of it. Scoring in the mid 70s would be a real big thing for us if the defense is similar to last year.
Second straight game with a role player really stepping up in Moore after Bubba and Kyle did it last game. That's big if we don't have to rely so so much on Jose, Mike, and Moses.
Rebounding was kept at a respectable margin considering the difference in size.
Jose was absolutely phenomenal. It's almost like he took it personal having to sit and raised hell when given a chance down the stretch. Think we saw the first air guitar of the year. He had like 19 points and 2 assists the last 10 minutes.
Moses didn't have quite the numbers of his past couple of games, but 13 points on 63% shooting with 8 rebs, 4 assists 0 TOs, 1 steal and 2 blocks is another great game by him.

Overall second straight double digit win against a P5 team, this one on the road, is hard to complain about. Especially since we had issue of Jose being in foul trouble to start the game and then Devoe sitting the last 13 minutes or so after a very good first half. If this team can win games when one of the big 3 is having an off night then they can be real good and so far we've done it twice, with Devoe last game and then the half and half split between him and Jose this one. I really think if we can get all three of Jose, Mike and Moses going good in the same game we can play with anyone.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Always great to get a road win. Our small ball lineup got a little exposed with the poor rebounding we had for a large portion of the game.

Moore and devoe I felt carried us in the first half and then Alvarado took over down the stretch. The turning point of the game was the 3 plays in a row by Jose, knocked down a 3, then hit that incredible quick turnaround 3 next position and then the drive and dish to Moses for the and1. That was the dagger for Nebraska.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Major respect for CJP to not fall into the old school mindset of sitting a player in foul trouble just so that they can play the last 4 minutes. Typically those decisions end up sacrificing good minutes during the middle of the game, whereas playing them early enables you to maximize the available minutes. Jose played 27 despite 3 early fouls. Also helps that Jose can be trusted.

Carrying that same theme forward, I loved the short bench. And I'm not saying that to troll those who demand a deep bench. I truly believe there is a rhythm that is lost when you force a rotation of 9 or more. I don't think it's a coincidence that our guys worked up a lather to execute well down the stretch. And there are so many stoppages in play in today's game (TV timeouts, reviews, etc), let alone if Covid takes us off the court sometime this season, that it's never been easier to play a smaller rotation. Bubba again played freely despite an underwhelming game. That will pay off in future contests.

With that being said, I think it was an odd and possibly poor choice to sit Devoe, particularly given his performance against Sturdivant's. I understand keeping the guys in who grab you the lead, but we didn't really start to separate until about 8 minutes left. Devoe had been sitting 4+ minutes at that point. Easier to nitpick after a win than a loss. I'm sure there was something to that lineup that Pastner liked that I'm not valuing the same.

Agree with @lv20gt that Moses had a great game. I love when your best players don't force it unless absolutely necessary. His contributions were still noticeable and his stat line was fantastic.

This is the first Tech team in a while that doesn't seem to have the patented GT scoring drought in them. I have yet to get the feeling that we couldn't score in these first 4 games. Free throw shooting was good down the stretch, but I still think we have issues there as in the last 10 years or so.