GT vs. N. Alabama--11/26/22

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
For me, this is a team of shooters and we haven't really shot well yet. I think some of the younger guys who have been asked to step up (Coleman and Kelly, specifically) in the scoring department have been pressing a little with the 3-point shot. When our 3's start falling regularly, I think we're going to look a lot better. I'd rather they work this out now than during ACC play. I'm also very impressed with J. Moore's athleticism going to the basket. I remember his HS film was mostly him dunking and there was talk that he wouldn't be much of a scorer at this level. I see an ability to take the ball to the rim, especially if he's drawing a 4. At 6'7", he's giving up height, but he's quicker and more athletic than most 4's. I see a lot of small ball in our future. In order for us to be successful doing that, we are going to need to be more efficient with our shooting.

Edit: I love what Deivon has done with his game and confidence. His ability to finish and play under control are the difference between this year as a leader and major contributor, and last year as somewhat of a liability on the floor.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Through 6 games we are shooting 29.7% from 3-point range and 42% overall. Pastner said we had a good shooting team. It appears that they look good in practice and during warm-ups, but perhaps are not very good shooters after all. It is possible that we have a small, poor shooting team this year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree with those who point out that we are not running the necessary sets with screen to get open looks from 3 for our shooters. I think that's why our %s are low, not just because we're young or nervous.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree with those who point out that we are not running the necessary sets with screen to get open looks from 3 for our shooters. I think that's why our %s are low, not just because we're young or nervous.
I've seen a lot of bad decisions on 3's that aren't falling. To me, that's pressing. Nothing to do with nerves (or youth, per se). I agree, our offensive sets don't seem to be designed to open up the outside shots.

Edit: Full Disclosure - I've never been good at playing basketball (cross-eyed dominant), but grew up the son of a coach. I could hardly shoot straight outside 5 feet.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Iowa is not a great defensive team but I’m worried a lot of the looks we scored on last night are not going to be available on Tuesday against better athletes.

Pastner commented about how selfless Franklin played last night and I have to agree. I love when his instincts come out and he blows past his post defender but we will be at our best when Deivon, Jalon, and Franklin use their athleticism to draw defenders and distribute to Kelly/Deebo/Terry for open looks rather than being hellbent to convert a tough finish at the rim.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This game was more of the same, meaning more bad offense. We won easily as expected, but that was just because we had better athletes/players at every position 2 deep. We got almost zero production out of our sets/motions on offense.

The way we are running the Princeton point series is a complete waste of time now, literally. We waste 25 seconds on most possessions, then have to go 1v1 as the shot clock expires.

If I had the motivation, I would love to watch some film of the way we used to cut and pass when Lammers was here versus now. When I watch us cutting now, it is so congested that there is no way anyone will ever be open for a pass. It also makes us extremely easy to guard.
Lammers could hit the 15 ft shot.These guys can NOT.Nobody is coming out for them for good reason..

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Through 6 games we are shooting 29.7% from 3-point range and 42% overall. Pastner said we had a good shooting team. It appears that they look good in practice and during warm-ups, but perhaps are not very good shooters after all. It is possible that we have a small, poor shooting team this year.
BINGO.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Lammers could hit the 15 ft shot.These guys can NOT.Nobody is coming out for them for good reason..
They mite if they tried. It’s just a free throw. Let ‘em try, givem the green light, keep the defense honest

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
I've seen a lot of bad decisions on 3's that aren't falling. To me, that's pressing. Nothing to do with nerves (or youth, per se). I agree, our offensive sets don't seem to be designed to open up the outside shots.

Edit: Full Disclosure - I've never been good at playing basketball (cross-eyed dominant), but grew up the son of a coach. I could hardly shoot straight outside 5 feet.
It’s one thing to hit threes in practice and something way different in a game when you are playing full tilt defense.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It’s one thing to hit threes in practice and something way different in a game when you are playing full tilt defense.
These guys hit at a high rate last year. So did Terry and Maxwell. These guys can shoot. They’ve done it before. It’s a matter of them figuring out who’s going to play what role on the team this year. I think we’ll do well once we get in league play…famous last words…

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW my perspective is we can shoot 3’s reasonably well (not great) when we are in transition or in some version of open court. So far our half court set has given us 3’s from 2-3 steps beyond the line when all else fails. Like to see us generate some better looks

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Coleman is at 38% from three on ~5 attempts per game. Sturdivant is at 42% on 2 attempts per game. Terry is at 42% on about 3 attempts per game.

Kelly is at 24% on ~4 attempts per game, Smith is 1 of 7, Moore 0 of 6, and Maxwell 1 of 10.

Really, of our shooters, Kelly and Maxwell are the ones really hurting us. Coleman should also probably be better but 38% on that volume isn't bad, especially since our offense isn't generating great looks.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Iowa is not a great defensive team but I’m worried a lot of the looks we scored on last night are not going to be available on Tuesday against better athletes.

Pastner commented about how selfless Franklin played last night and I have to agree. I love when his instincts come out and he blows past his post defender but we will be at our best when Deivon, Jalon, and Franklin use their athleticism to draw defenders and distribute to Kelly/Deebo/Terry for open looks rather than being hellbent to convert a tough finish at the rim.
Isn't that how the game is supposed to be played read & react, but yes I'm confused to why they are overly persistent about those rim finishes that we don't get any offensive rebounds out of