GT vs. N. Alabama--11/26/22

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We can start Franklin (small ball) and still have Howard come in if we need size. I like handing the keys to Deivon and the three sophs.

The line up with Franklin at the 5 will not do well in conference play. It doesn't matter if we need the size against North Alabama or not. We need to figure out how to run with actual size now or we'll be embarrassed.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The line up with Franklin at the 5 will not do well in conference play. It doesn't matter if we need the size against North Alabama or not. We need to figure out how to run with actual size now or we'll be embarrassed.
1st of all, I think CJP was trying to run with Howard. At a certain point you have to say its not working and try something else. We won the ACC without a center. It can be done. That said don't expect to be in top half of ACC.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
This game was more of the same, meaning more bad offense. We won easily as expected, but that was just because we had better athletes/players at every position 2 deep. We got almost zero production out of our sets/motions on offense.

The way we are running the Princeton point series is a complete waste of time now, literally. We waste 25 seconds on most possessions, then have to go 1v1 as the shot clock expires.

If I had the motivation, I would love to watch some film of the way we used to cut and pass when Lammers was here versus now. When I watch us cutting now, it is so congested that there is no way anyone will ever be open for a pass. It also makes us extremely easy to guard.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice to get back in the win column. Here are some thoughts:

What I liked:
-Pastner taking full credit for the abysmal losses in Florida and making changes.
-The new starting lineup. Smith at the point and the three sophs (Deebo, Kelly, and JMoore) give us size, athleticism, scoring ability, and versatility. That's our best lineup (probably with Franklin too, but perhaps Howard against bigger teams). These four are young, though, so there will be ups and downs.
-Better offense. I know, I know, everybody hates the 5 coming to the elbow to receive the ball and play from there, but I actually don't mind it (I do think we run it too much though). The key is that the other 4 need to be making good screens and good cuts, and when we do, we often open up space for drives and shots. We shot 59.6% from the field and had 16 assists on 31 made field goals--that's pretty good.
-Ja'von Franklin. He is really turning into an asset inside and he plays much bigger than 6'7". He had another 4 blocks today (and has 16 on the season), and we really need that shot-blocking presence inside.
-Deivon Smith, again. He fills up the box score, that's for sure. 16 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block with only 1 TO. He even made a three (but missed two others). He still needs to work on those free throws, though.
-Keeping the intensity. After the first 5 minutes, we never let them make a run to get close. Anybody can beat anybody in college basketball and I will take every 19 point win we can get.
-Free throw defense. Excellent, once again. NA shot only 45.5 and teams are only shooting 61.7% on the year. Let's keep up that free throw defense!

What I didn't like:
-Defensive rebounds still needs much work. They had 15 offensive rebounds!
-Sturdivant didn't have a very good game. He is usually very solid, but had 4 TOs.

What I am curious about:
-What the rotation will look like moving forward. Pastner is still playing with the pieces and trying to figure out who works well with who and who fits where. Let's hope he unlocks the best combination soon! For me, I thought the 8-man rotation worked well. I like Maxwell's shooting, but on the year, he has shot 20% from the field and 10% on threes. To me, it looked like we didn't miss him, as we have other guys who have proven to be better shooters in games. I am also not sure what Meka will offer when he is healthy. And, for what its worth, I would like to see more of Martynov. Give him 5-8 minutes a game to see what he can do. We will need his size down the stretch.

Big game against Iowa next! Go Jackets!