GT VS MIAMI 2016 preview

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I believe, in college football, that getting top talent is part of the coaches job description.

Good for you. I think you are right.

FWIW, I said "coaching" not "fulfilling coach's job description." The context of my post was the post to which I replied which focussed on defense and offense. I thought it was pretty clear what I was referring to. So, I'm sorry for the confusion. I simply did not foresee someone misunderstanding the word coaching.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think AE is on to something here; something clear to most Dwag fans: Richt is not all that hot a football coach.

My favorite example is the 2008 Dwags. That team was widely picked to win the MNC and no wonder. It was packed with pro prospects from one end to the other. Further, those prospects fit closely with what Richt and co. wanted to do on both sides of the ball. And they lost 3 games, including the one to Tech. I don't think it's any wonder that the Dwags decided he had had his run and kept coming up short, no matter what his talent level was. He's a good recruiter, but I've never thought he was all that hot a coach, especially on game day.

How he'll do at Da U is up in the air right now. He's an improvement over Golden, but that almost defines damning with faint praise. Personally I hope he settles into the mediocrity that lower recruiting will dictate.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think AE is on to something here; something clear to most Dwag fans: Richt is not all that hot a football coach.

My favorite example is the 2008 Dwags. That team was widely picked to win the MNC and no wonder. It was packed with pro prospects from one end to the other. Further, those prospects fit closely with what Richt and co. wanted to do on both sides of the ball. And they lost 3 games, including the one to Tech. I don't think it's any wonder that the Dwags decided he had had his run and kept coming up short, no matter what his talent level was. He's a good recruiter, but I've never thought he was all that hot a coach, especially on game day.

How he'll do at Da U is up in the air right now. He's an improvement over Golden, but that almost defines damning with faint praise. Personally I hope he settles into the mediocrity that lower recruiting will dictate.

Not sure I agree with this. The guy averaged almost 10 wins a year while he was there and we went 2-13 against him...he's a good coach, it just so happens he was in a conference with the two best coaches in college football for most of his time there (thank God).

Now I will say that the article stating that he figured our offense out is just stupid:

2008: 45 points
2009: 24 points
2010: 34 points
2011: 17 points
2012: 10 points
2013: 34 points
2014: 30 points
2015: 7 points

There's a handful of bad offensive performances in there, but we average 25 points per game against them. I'm not going to go check their D against everyone else, but I'd be willing to bet we do better than most...

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
As an offensive coordinator at FSU (admittedly, not lacking talent in the late '90s), Richt was a solid OC. His early years in Athens, when he also wore the OC hat, they did pretty well. However, Richt largely stuck with his generic, adapted-for-college "pro style" offense, really didn't seem to continue reforming and supplementing his approach all that much, etc. I'm no fan of change just for the sake of change, but seriously, college football offenses have gotten more innovative over the past 20 years, and Richt's offensive philosophy seemed kinda stale the past decade -- as an outsider looking in, it doesn't seem as if he wanted or encouraged then-OC Bobo to deviate much from the Richt formula.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I agree with this. The guy averaged almost 10 wins a year while he was there and we went 2-13 against him...he's a good coach, it just so happens he was in a conference with the two best coaches in college football for most of his time there (thank God).

Now I will say that the article stating that he figured our offense out is just stupid:

2008: 45 points
2009: 24 points
2010: 34 points
2011: 17 points
2012: 10 points
2013: 34 points
2014: 30 points
2015: 7 points

There's a handful of bad offensive performances in there, but we average 25 points per game against them. I'm not going to go check their D against everyone else, but I'd be willing to bet we do better than most...

OK, I pulled this quote from a thread from last year:
That would assume that you are only measuring success in win percentage. At some point racking up wins over teams with significantly less talent than you is not going to be enough. Paul Finebaum tweeted something about Richt the other day. In this century, UGA is the only team this century in the top 10 in recruiting and in the top 10 in NFL draft picks that has not won a national title. That isn't because of luck. He doesn't have inexplicable losses every year because he is just an unlucky guy. He didn't lose to GT and not win the SEC with Stafford, Moreno, and AJ Green on the same team because he is an unlucky guy. The guy simply lacks whatever a coach needs to take their team to the next level. Like I said, it is a tough spot for fans to be in. Do you want the continued success of 9-10 win seasons pretty much every year and guaranteed good recruiting or do you want to roll the dice and take a chance on someone else who might cut out all the let down games and get you over the hump on championships? For me personally, what Richt offers would be getting old at this point.

The stat on top 10 recruiting top 10 nfl drafts without nc is from cfbmatrix guy.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
OK, I pulled this quote from a thread from last year:

The stat on top 10 recruiting top 10 nfl drafts without nc is from cfbmatrix guy.

Look, I'm not going to sit here and defend a former Georgia coach more than I already have. I hate the guy, but he's a good coach...Urban and Saban were just better.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
The first three games of their schedule look very similar to the first three games we played last year. They're gonna come to BDS thinking Richt has made them NC contenders. We will have played against tougher defenses in Clemson and BC, we will have played against one of the best offenses in Clemson, so they won't surprise us. It is a pivotal game for us. It will depend on the state of mind of the team. Lose two of our first four, everybody's thinking, "Here we go again", and I give the odds to Miami. Be 3-1 or better, then we are a tested team ready to punch somebody in the mouth, and I think the odds shift to us.

Unlike most years, I think this year we will know what we have by the end of September.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Look, I'm not going to sit here and defend a former Georgia coach more than I already have. I hate the guy, but he's a good coach...Urban and Saban were just better.

The point to which you were responding assumed a distinction between the recruiting side of his job and the coaching (development / game planning) side.

You challenged the argument that he may have been good at the former without being good at the latter. You haven't backed it up, imo.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Be 3-1 or better, then we are a tested team ready to punch somebody in the mouth, and I think the odds shift to us.

Unlike most years, I think this year we will know what we have by the end of September.

You seriously think we have any shot (more than 1%) at being 4-0???

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
You seriously think we have any shot (more than 1%) at being 4-0???

Nobody knows who while be injured or banged up in the first three games for either team. We always play better against good teams. BDS will be wild, Clemson loves to choke in ATL. Ask FSU what it's like to be a top 10 team and come to BDS.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I agree that we have a small chance against Clemson. In 2011, we caught them with their pants down and ran a #5 ranked team almost out of the stadium. That said, back to the original discussion about Ritcht I am of two minds about him. I think he is a very good coach, nice man, telegenic and an excellent recruiter. But something about him does not quite add up. He managed to lose two out of three years to Ron Zook at Florida which is just about impossible and all three years, Georgia had the superior talent. I honestly believe that Miami was very fortunate to get him. They could have ended up with a mess on their hands if he had not fallen into their laps. I will always wonder how he would of done here. He just might have been able to recruit enough good players to have been successful but we will never know.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree that we have a small chance against Clemson. In 2011, we caught them with their pants down and ran a #5 ranked team almost out of the stadium. That said, back to the original discussion about Ritcht I am of two minds about him. I think he is a very good coach, nice man, telegenic and an excellent recruiter. But something about him does not quite add up. He managed to lose two out of three years to Ron Zook at Florida which is just about impossible and all three years, Georgia had the superior talent. I honestly believe that Miami was very fortunate to get him. They could have ended up with a mess on their hands if he had not fallen into their laps. I will always wonder how he would of done here. He just might have been able to recruit enough good players to have been successful but we will never know.

On Richt, agree ... but?

It will be interesting to see what happens with recruiting. I suspect that georgie will fall off less than d'oh u improves.

As far as outcomes, I suspect having Richt call plays may solve a potential conflict from the last several years. It will be difficult to tease this out until we find out about recruiting.

On Clemson, I think our record shows our coaching advantage, when you allow a distinction between the recruiting and coaching function of coaches.

I think our recruiting, especially 2014 & 15 classes, have made the possibility of competitiveness this year tighter than many allow.

We haven't seen this OL or Def crew, but there's reason for optimism.