GT vs FSU - 3/2/2024 (GAME THREAD)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Gapare with some more tantalizing plays today. Another great bounce pass for a dunk and some crazy blocks. Still needs to tighten up his handle, or just not put it on the deck, and improve his shooting, but sky feels like the limit for him.
I'm not saying he will turn out like Wright, but Gapare feels eerily similar. You can see the potential and the athleticism is off the chart, but he does some really frustrating things out there at times. Hopefully, he can turn the corner and find his groove like Moses did his junior and senior seasons.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Played ball in college 58 years ago and have watched a lot of BB since. I don’t recall a harder worker to get rebounds than Ndongo.
He rebounds with heart.
Another good thing today was Debo driving to the hole. I’m old school and the finger roll by Tafara was sweet. Claude was workman like and Reeves had a good game.
Kelly’s points were low but played good defense and rebounded good. George started slow but
was solid and productive. Fun game!

My only regret was that Leonard Hamilton lost. He mite be my favorite ACC coach. He has always run a straight up outfit. When Fla State first came into the league they were a surprise and kicked but.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Great win! Fun game to watch! There were a few inbounding issues that made me think about Hewitt. Sturdivant was awesome. Kelly was as cold today as he was hot last game. Super glad to see good effort from everyone for 40 minutes.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The most amazing thing about Sturdy’s performance is he was probably the worst GT player on the court in the first half. Looked very tight/nervous out there, and CDS was getting into him. He had at least 3 first half live ball turnovers (although he did hit a big 3). But he was a man on a mission in the second half and turned it into a fantastic performance. Claude definitely had one of his best games (if not the best) as a Jacket I thought. What a great way to go out for those two.

The funny thing about Miles’ shooting performance is I didn’t even realize it was so poor until I looked at the box score after the game. He wasn’t really forcing anything, and we got so many offensive rebounds that his misses didn’t hurt much.

I’m loving the minutes Deebo is giving us right now. It’s clear that CDS has told him to be extremely aggressive when he’s in there, and he got robbed on a 3 today or he would have given us 8 points in 11 minutes. Wonder if he’s slowly working back into the rotation conditioning-wise or if this is what his role will be going forward. He’s definitely playing extremely well in limited minutes. Also thought Reeves set the tone for us early on in the first half.

I also think Nait’s deserves a call out. 15 points on 7 shots, combined with 0 turnovers and 2 offensive rebounds (equaling the total of FSU’s entire bench that played 60 minutes).

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The most amazing thing about Sturdy’s performance is he was probably the worst GT player on the court in the first half. Looked very tight/nervous out there, and CDS was getting into him. He had at least 3 first half live ball turnovers (although he did hit a big 3). But he was a man on a mission in the second half and turned it into a fantastic performance. Claude definitely had one of his best games (if not the best) as a Jacket I thought. What a great way to go out for those two.

The funny thing about Miles’ shooting performance is I didn’t even realize it was so poor until I looked at the box score after the game. He wasn’t really forcing anything, and we got so many offensive rebounds that his misses didn’t hurt much.

I’m loving the minutes Deebo is giving us right now. It’s clear that CDS has told him to be extremely aggressive when he’s in there, and he got robbed on a 3 today or he would have given us 8 points in 11 minutes. Wonder if he’s slowly working back into the rotation conditioning-wise or if this is what his role will be going forward. He’s definitely playing extremely well in limited minutes. Also thought Reeves set the tone for us early on in the first half.
Good stuff. I really like how several guys took their man off the dribble and got into the paint or basket as FSU was way out overplaying 3 point shot defense. Reeves some really important drives early in the game. As you said, tone setters.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I know this has been mentioned before, but looking ahead to next season where freshmen like George and Ndongo gain a year of strength and maturity combined with three really talented incoming freshmen next year and we could be scary good. Throw in the potential that Gapare has and the possibility that Kelly comes back for his last season plus Reeves and who knows. Oh and I almost forgot we have Terry coming back and hopefully Coleman as well. What is obvious to me is that CDS recruits the rangy high athleticism type guys the likes of which we have not seen in a long time. Also, I think top transfers will give us a much stronger look than we have gotten previously. I'm very optimistic with this coaching staff that we are going to see much more talent heading our way in the future.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So what's people's opinion about the ACC Tourney? Separate thread is fine. We won't get any byes, but maybe make some noise? NIT seems out of the question unless we win the tourney (1% vegas odds?) and then it'll be the NCAA.........

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
So what's people's opinion about the ACC Tourney? Separate thread is fine. We won't get any byes, but maybe make some noise? NIT seems out of the question unless we win the tourney (1% vegas odds?) and then it'll be the NCAA.........
We're moving the ball well right now and playing hard but it's hard to win that second game on tired legs, let alone the 3rd, 4th, and 5th. If we magically make it to the semis, I'll book a next day flight to DC.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We're moving the ball well right now and playing hard but it's hard to win that second game on tired legs, let alone the 3rd, 4th, and 5th. If we magically make it to the semis, I'll book a next day flight to DC.
With this team winning the first game will be hard. We are simply an inconsistent team that can play very well or very poorly.

There are no ACC teams where we can simply say we are a much better team. If we play really hard for the full 40 minutes we have a chance to win any g as me. If we play a sloppy game with less than full effort we will likely lose any ACCT game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Love the question!

Perhaps mods can make a separate thread?

If Tech wins the first game I honestly believe their energy will go up. Still would not expect them to go far but would hate to play them if I’m a team with aspirations.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
With this team winning the first game will be hard. We are simply an inconsistent team that can play very well or very poorly.

There are no ACC teams where we can simply say we are a much better team. If we play really hard for the full 40 minutes we have a chance to win any g as me. If we play a sloppy game with less than full effort we will likely lose any ACCT game.
Very true. If we keep Tuesday and Saturday competitive against WF and UVA after these Miami/Free Shoes wins, that will show 4 straight games of consistency for the first time all season. But even then, we are very capable of going out and laying an egg. Hopefully none of our players are hungover after a night out in DC this tournament;)