GT vs. f$u Ireland Game Tickets

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
Got the email about ticket pre-sale opening today for a $100 deposit.

Was very excited to get in the ticket queue as flights and all other travel's been booked, but was shocked to see the actual ticket prices for just basic, normal seats.

1000008507.jpg

Was this how it was in 2016? Is this typical?

Again, just shocked at the high price, was thinking they'd be close to chik fil a kickoff game prices, if anything.

Last edited:

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Got the email about ticket pre-sale opening today for a $100 deposit.

Was very excited to get in the ticket queue as flights and all other travel's been booked, but was shocked to see the actual ticket prices for just basic, normal seats.

View attachment 15674

Was this how it was in 2016? Is this typical?

Again, just shocked at the high price, was thinking they'd be close to chik fil a kickoff game prices, if anything.
I too was surprised by the cost. I was expecting something in the $100-150 range for the non-premium, upper level seats.

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
Same, and it's such a wide range of sections where you could end up.... either the bottom corners or anywhere along the whole upper deck.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Is that really the lowest price for a ticket? If so, my plan of going to the game is scotched. I was thinking the tickets would start at a hundred or so dollars. Still going to Ireland for a vacation because I've always wanted to go, but maybe late September. They've priced me out of the market.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
According to the Tech ticket website:

Standalone Game Tickets​

Game tickets are currently only available through official travel and hospitality packages. Individual game tickets will become available on February 15 through the Georgia Tech Athletics Ticket Office.

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
Is that really the lowest price for a ticket? If so, my plan of going to the game is scotched. I was thinking the tickets would start at a hundred or so dollars. Still going to Ireland for a vacation because I've always wanted to go, but maybe late September. They've priced me out of the market.
Yeah, we planned a whole vacation around going to the game and exploring Ireland. Now it's looking like we're not actually going to the game, at least not through GT Athletics.

I just can't justify paying more than season tickets for a single game when it's already costing so much to get over there.

Fingers crossed we can find cheaper tickets once they're available on ticketmaster in March, or if I can get some Irish co-workers to get some cheaper tickets for me.

Edit: That link may not be helpful, so here's the screenshot.

1000008525.jpg

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
According to the Tech ticket website:

Standalone Game Tickets​

Game tickets are currently only available through official travel and hospitality packages. Individual game tickets will become available on February 15 through the Georgia Tech Athletics Ticket Office.
I was expecting the February date as well, but yesterday I got an email from GT saying the tickets were on sale. I followed the link and got to the same site Buzzn3 shows above. We already have flights booked and a Globus tour of Ireland that leaves the day after the game, but I’m seriously considering not going to the game now. There are 5 of us going, so you’re talking about more than $1200 for the tickets.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I think the tickets are relatively expensive. That said, is anyone who chose to go on a vaca to Ireland because of the game, now having second thoughts about purchasing tickets?

If so, are you considering the trip cost holistically, with the game as part of the overall experience? I expect for most that game tickets will comprise no more than 10-20% of your total cost, and only about 5-10% more to your total than what you may have expected with a much cheaper ticket price.

It is a personal choice and obviously I don't know everyone's financial situation, but if you are put off by an extra 5-10% in total trip cost to see Tech play an important conference game, perhaps you can't really afford the trip.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think the tickets are relatively expensive. That said, is anyone who chose to go on a vaca to Ireland because of the game, now having second thoughts about purchasing tickets?

If so, are you considering the trip cost holistically, with the game as part of the overall experience? I expect for most that game tickets will comprise no more than 10-20% of your total cost, and only about 5-10% more to your total than what you may have expected with a much cheaper ticket price.

It is a personal choice and obviously I don't know everyone's financial situation, but if you are put off by an extra 5-10% in total trip cost to see Tech play an important conference game, perhaps you can't really afford the trip.
I'm not rich but I can afford the trip just fine. I could afford a $245 steak just fine, too, but I wouldn't enjoy it knowing how much it cost, and how I could probably enjoy a meal at McDonald's just as much if not more - but that's just me. Wifey and I are going on the trip, because I've always wanted to go to Ireland and she would like to go, too. The game dovetailed with our plans perfectly, until I found out how much are the tickets. Everybody has their price. I'm simply not paying $245 for a football ticket. And if nobody else would, either, tickets wouldn't cost $245. I don't begrudge anyone their tickets - have fun at the game. But I'm just not paying it. I'll watch the game from my sofa and go to Ireland in September, unless I can somehow find tickets cheaper. Like I said, everybody has their price, some more and some less. The top price I would be willing to pay is ~$150.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I'm not rich but I can afford the trip just fine. I could afford a $245 steak just fine, too, but I wouldn't enjoy it knowing how much it cost, and how I could probably enjoy a meal at McDonald's just as much if not more - but that's just me. Wifey and I are going on the trip, because I've always wanted to go to Ireland and she would like to go, too. The game dovetailed with our plans perfectly, until I found out how much are the tickets. Everybody has their price. I'm simply not paying $245 for a football ticket. And if nobody else would, either, tickets wouldn't cost $245. I don't begrudge anyone their tickets - have fun at the game. But I'm just not paying it. I'll watch the game from my sofa and go to Ireland in September, unless I can somehow find tickets cheaper. Like I said, everybody has their price, some more and some less. The top price I would be willing to pay is ~$150.
That's a fair response, and the qualifier is that you were planning the trip regardless of the game. I was directing my comment (and strictly personal opinion) on those who seem to have chosen to travel because of the game, but are now having second thoughts due to the ticket prices.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That's a fair response, and the qualifier is that you were planning the trip regardless of the game. I was directing my comment (and strictly personal opinion) on those who seem to have chosen to travel because of the game, but are now having second thoughts due to the ticket prices.
Well, I'm somewhat in the same boat. Only difference is we haven't gotten our tickets yet and will now be going sometime after the game. But we originally wanted to include the game in our plans.
But yeah, always wanted to go to Ireland regardless.

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
We'd also been discussing a trip to Ireland for years, it just appeared the stars had aligned to conveniently pair that trip with a GT game, as we had also greatly enjoyed our recent trip to Tampa.

Similar to bobongo though, we have no problem affording the trip, just not seeing the value to justify paying that much for tickets to a single game, for us.

We planned the trip around the game to accommodate attending, and based our schedule off the date and location, but it's certainly not the only reason we're crossing the pond.

We'll try to snag some tickets off the European market for €60-80, but if not, we'll still be wearing our GT swag as we drive around Ireland, partaking in the pre-game festivities, and then watching the game from a Dublin pub.

SouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I just looked back at my tickets from the first Ireland game vs BC and they were only $65 a piece! I was expecting they’d maybe be $20 dollars or so more than that this time around but $245 is crazy. I bought through Ticketmaster the first time so maybe they will be lower. I was in the upper deck even with the goal line last game and it’s not a bad seat really.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Tickets for European football (aka soccer) are in line with the proposed ticket prices. We got some standing area tickets for $100 for a Chelsea match a few years ago. Fun but fraught with peril if you weren't in Blue and Yellow. Seated tix started at $300 for that match and were well over $1000 for good seats

Dobeedobeedo

Georgia Tech Fan
Be patient, be calm, have confidence. The price outside the stadium gameday and at the bookies locations around Dublin days before would be within your range easily.
My advice is based on attending about 12 events during the Athens 2004 Summer Olympics including the Closing ceremony and spent less than $500 total.
I’ve not been pleased with the GT entertainment and football pricing.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I just looked back at my tickets from the first Ireland game vs BC and they were only $65 a piece! I was expecting they’d maybe be $20 dollars or so more than that this time around but $245 is crazy. I bought through Ticketmaster the first time so maybe they will be lower. I was in the upper deck even with the goal line last game and it’s not a bad seat really.
Did you buy tickets through Tech? Were there tickets available like the day of? I'd be shocked if this game sold out.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
HELP! HELP!! Has anyone purchased tickets yet? I got an email from GT saying season ticket holders or Alex-Tharpe contributors can prepurchase tix with priority up to Feb 12. We have already committed well over $10,000 for the trip over and an extended tour situation. So I would bite the bullet and pay $500 or so for 2 tix but I would like to be able to purchase through the GT priority situation to get good seats and to know where they are located. It looks like, if I buy through Aer Lingus, I have no idea where and what kind of seats we would end up with. And I keep running into a wall when I try to go through the GT link to ticket buying. Can anyone please give me some feedback with what kind of results you might have had? The sooner the better because it looks like the “priority” situation runs out Feb 12!