GT .vs. Clemson

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
So CBG told Bolden to putz around and turn the ball over?
No he didnt. But he recruited him and chose to put him back on the floor. Im looking at it like this.... We lose Miller,Golden and Holsey. We have Heyward and Jorg back with 1 coming off a knee injury. So we have alot to replace and that wont be done in 1 year. So we get the next class in and up to speed, then we lose MGH,RCJr, and Bolden. Its a bad looking cycle that I dont feel CBG can stop. We need alot of guys to step up and play better to even stand a chance of not being in the bottom of the league. I cant watch these offensive slop fests much longer.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No he didnt. But he recruited him and chose to put him back on the floor. Im looking at it like this.... We lose Miller,Golden and Holsey. We have Heyward and Jorg back with 1 coming off a knee injury. So we have alot to replace and that wont be done in 1 year. So we get the next class in and up to speed, then we lose MGH,RCJr, and Bolden. Its a bad looking cycle that I dont feel CBG can stop. We need alot of guys to step up and play better to even stand a chance of not being in the bottom of the league. I cant watch these offensive slop fests much longer.

Can't disagree with any of that... It's so disappointing...

Assume the "87" is when you got out, if so you were there doing some great time with CBC, Price, Dalrymple, Joseph, Salley, Neal, etc. Makes the current group difficult to watch.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Nope im a youngin. Was born in 87 but i played bball my entire life up until college so i know a thing or 2 about how the game is supposed to be played and we arent doing that. Im a big history junkie so I know all about those guys. Ive been saying for a while we dont need superstars , just get a few role players and have a strong big man and an above average PG. Just not a huge fan of how we look in halfcourt sets. If we had alot of transition stuff happening itd help out some but we grt no easy buckets.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

Re next years team. With Heyward & Jorgenson at PG, Bolden & Jackson maybe to help and share the 2 & 3 spots with Georges-Hunt and Poole we will be in a world of hurt in the back court unless someone steps up. Six guys to play 3 positions. That leaves Carter, Sampson, Stephens and Lammers to man the 4 & 5 spots. That is 10 players on a ship. That makes the effort at Anas Mahmoud crucial.

Whatllyahave

Georgia Tech Fan
Many of our turnovers are just careless. Sloppy, weak passes, dribbling into double teams...sigh. I pine for the days when I looked forward to the next game.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Many of our turnovers are just careless. Sloppy, weak passes, dribbling into double teams...sigh. I pine for the days when I looked forward to the next game.
Everything we do looks scripted... like we never improvise to get good looks. Plus nobody can make an entry pass except maybe Holsey. Its just poor coaching IMO and i think its time for a new philosophy

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Clemson just isnt that good of a team... But they are well coached so tbeh are doing exactly how we SHOULD be doing. The coaching is the reason they are in the spot they are in and were in the spot that we are in.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't watch the game, I am at the point where I do not even care to watch this team play, which saddens me deeply to say. I love GT basketball just as all GT sports and I really enjoy college basketball in general, but this team is incredibly painful to watch. I look at teams like Clemson who has equal or probably less talent on their roster and their coach gets 10x more out of them then BG does. BG as we stated in the other thread has no offensive game plan or sets and can tell he is in over his head as an ACC coach. I love when the other teams runs a set play that is effective and works and then the camera pans to BG and he looks like "welp I don't know what to do to stop it..." Bolden, MGH, Carter were supposed to be the backbone of our team and carried really high expectations for the program but I feel like overall they have regressed from last season. Bolden is like Jekyll and Hyde every game, he will make a good play offensively and then let his man completely go on the defensive end the very next possession. Or he will play good defense for once then come down and throw the ball away. He looks like he is in a daze for about 90% of the game, maybe its just his natural facial expression but he looks disinterested...The only ones on the team that might start at an actual good Bball program is Miller and 100%healthy Carter, everyone else is really about the caliber of a bench player on a good team. The potential in guys like MGH may be there but you wont see it under BG.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I didn't watch the game, I am at the point where I do not even care to watch this team play, which saddens me deeply to say. I love GT basketball just as all GT sports and I really enjoy college basketball in general, but this team is incredibly painful to watch. I look at teams like Clemson who has equal or probably less talent on their roster and their coach gets 10x more out of them then BG does. BG as we stated in the other thread has no offensive game plan or sets and can tell he is in over his head as an ACC coach. I love when the other teams runs a set play that is effective and works and then the camera pans to BG and he looks like "welp I don't know what to do to stop it..." Bolden, MGH, Carter were supposed to be the backbone of our team and carried really high expectations for the program but I feel like overall they have regressed from last season. Bolden is like Jekyll and Hyde every game, he will make a good play offensively and then let his man completely go on the defensive end the very next possession. Or he will play good defense for once then come down and throw the ball away. He looks like he is in a daze for about 90% of the game, maybe its just his natural facial expression but he looks disinterested...The only ones on the team that might start at an actual good Bball program is Miller and 100%healthy Carter, everyone else is really about the caliber of a bench player on a good team. The potential in guys like MGH may be there but you wont see it under BG.

Sums up my feelings as well. I really followed the team a while ago but simply have lost interest due to the ineptitude of play and lack of hope on the horizon.

I really wanted CBG to succeed, I think he is good man but the bottom line is that He is in over his head in the ACC and this is a very unforgiving Basketball league.

I do however think our AD is the perfect person to hire the next GT coach. I hope the financial restrictions will be gone by that time and we will be able to really see who we can attract. GT is a very attractive Basketball school, despite our recent failures, the talent that surrounds Atlanta is incredible and the history of this institute of putting their players into the league is great and a very big selling point with potential recruits.

This is sad as I grew up on the Thrillerdome and that was one of the main reasons I became a Tech fan. I took my 6 year old son to a game and the atmosphere was horrible. My son didn't have a really good time and that was due in large part to the lack of excitement and attendance. You can't fault Tech people for staying home when the product has been consistently bad for a long time.

Here is a Tech fan hoping this will change.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Don't give up hope, Jacket fans! I have been saying that I think this team has one more ACC regular season win in them, and that would put us at that magical 5-ACC-win mark. That's one better than I thought at the start of the season!

But setting all sarcasm aside, I can't possibly see how anyone couldn't see this was coming way back when the rumors were floating around that Tech's next head coach might be Brian Gregory. I remember those days well. How everyone was breathlessly bandying names around like Shaka Smart and Chris Mooney. And then out of nowhere this rumor came up that Gregory had been offered the job and was strongly considering it. Most Tech fans scoffed at the idea of Tech offering the job to a guy who was on the verge of being run out of Dayton, with rumors of player dissatisfaction with the coach. Savvy fans chalked it up to a common tactic by agents to float false rumors of job offers being considered by their client as a way to boost his perceived value to other schools, and that there was really no link between Gregory and Tech. But lo and behold, as is the case with most rumors, there was at least a grain of truth to this one, and more than just a grain, as we all soon discovered. Yet, then the whitewashing of Brian Gregory's record began in earnest, and soon he was being hailed as the next great basketball mind. By God, the next Tom Izzo himself was coming to set the ACC straight. Voices of dissent were quieted. "Just give him time." "Let him get his players." "It's a process." Okay. Please, let's not act like this all has been one big disappointment. We got what we paid for. There has been no disappointment. There has been no surprise. We got exactly what we expected.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Atomic Jacket is right about the we got what we paid for thing. CBG was never expected to become a great head coach. But he was given the opportunity while Tech was hurting for money. Hes had some pretty bad breaks since getting here. Im convinced that there is no way that CBG can turn this around by himself. Hes in way over his head in the ACC and GT needs somebody who can coach and sell the program well. Neither are grtting done right no

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I personally was not happy when CBG was hired...after I thought about it for the money we offered we could have got a worse coach. I though CBG would come in and get the culture turned around somewhat and get the team on the right track...I thought that was his ceiling.

He has another year in my mind though.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I personally was not happy when CBG was hired...after I thought about it for the money we offered we could have got a worse coach. I though CBG would come in and get the culture turned around somewhat and get the team on the right track...I thought that was his ceiling.

He has another year in my mind though.
Im not aware of the $$$ ramifications of letting him go after this year, but I think next year will be his final year unless the team has some sort of magic season like UVA is having right now.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CBG benefits from the misplaced heat on CPJ, imo. He's had sone bad breaks but has still under performed his talent, imo,

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
CBG benefits from the misplaced heat on CPJ, imo. He's had sone bad breaks but has still under performed his talent, imo,
I agree. Im not as worried about football as I am basketball. I dont believe Bball has the recruiting restrictions and hoops to jump through like football does so we should definitely be keeping the big fish in state. I dont say alot of good things about Hewitt but he had recruiting down pat. Unfortunately he couldnt coach his way out of a wet paper bag. CBG doesnt have alot of things in his favor at the current time. I just feel MB is waiting on the funds to make a hire that he approves of. Our train is off track and I believe its time for a new conductor. Just need to be more diligent in the hiring process and get someone with a track record of winning with good offensove sets

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some comments on CBG.
  1. Agree with the concept of we got what we paid for.
  2. Believe that he took this oppty for a combo of Dayton fan base being a little tired and the reality that I think he does aspire for bigger & better things in his career down the road (i.e. - in the mix for Mich St when Izzo is done). To do that, he needed to get on a bigger stage. I think this was the biggest motivating opportunity for him to take the GT job, given the financial constraints.
  3. I think if he lands the big fish, Jaylen Brown plus complementary players, we're recruiting for 2015, he's getting the 5th year if we have an adequate 4th season. If we are terrible next year, I think all bets are off, for both him and, if he signs a November LOI, Jaylen Brown. Jaylen Brown is CBG's Derrick Favors.
  4. I don't think the $$$ ramifications of letting him go are anywhere near what they were with Hewitt, thank goodness.
  5. I do think he's had a lot of tough breaks this year, we're pretty banged up at this point, and quite honestly, I threw out my expectations the second Robert Carter. That said, except for the 2nd half meltdown against Clemson, win or lose, I think the players have really busted their behinds during ACC play.
  6. The flip side for the increased effort during ACC, we've had many many mental errors, unforced turnovers, and too many instances of opposing teams adjusting, while we haven't. Part of that is player execution and part of that is not having go-to plays to afford us easy baskets. That's coaching. Example... Mark Gottfried is not considered a great game coach, but he's go Bobby Lutz, former Charlotte HC, who is, on his bench. Same with the asst HC at FSU to Leonard Hamilton. Not sure we have the resources to provide that just yet, so CBG has to be able to step that up on his own.
  7. We, Coach Schmidt, specifically, have shown an ability to develop big men (Daniel Miller, I think Carter will be a stud when all said & done, Kam has played well within himself), but our guards haven't developed as expected. I don't know why that is. Is it a function of Dollar & Postorino being better at recruiting than player development? Have the guards just not put in the time or are they not mentally up for the challenge. MGH has shown tons of ability, but been somewhat inconsistent. I think Bolden's tough summer and shaky start to the season left him shook and not being able to come back, but he's certainly demonstrated talent. Heyward has played ok, given what he's had to do compared to expectations of what he should be doing. Won't even get into the Pooles.
  8. I like him and would love to see him succeed here, but I learned my lesson on ripping off the band aid last go around. I was a Hewitt apologist for too long. I won't make that mistake again.
Ok, I'm starting to ramble and can probably think of more items, but let me stop there. It's been a frustrating season, without a doubt. That said, I implore all of you to remain steadfast in your support of GT hoops at this point. I'm pretty confident if a change needs to occur, it will occur at the right time when we have the right resources allocated for the situation.