GT vs #17 Ole Miss GAME THREAD

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I don't normally start these threads on a sunday afternoon but THIS IS A BIG GAME so I'm starting it now.

Unlike every road game before where I simply watched GT from home, I will actually be in Oxford to cheer on the Jackets! I'm excited and win or lose it's gonna be a fun trip for me and my family.

As for the game itself, my thoughts are that our offense is probably able to put up 25-40 points, but our defense will HAVE to dig their heels in and be better.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
If you’re on the fence about attending this one, you gotta go. Football is an emotions-driven game and the players absolutely notice that massive gold section in the corner. Every standing ovation when the defense takes the field gives them just that little more push and swagger. Plus you’ll have fun - away games are awesome.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t expect it to happen but can you imagine how the football world would get shaken up if Tech pulled off an upset! It wouldn’t be quite like Colorado beating TCU but, honestly, it wouldn’t be far behind.

Ole Miss is kind of a dark horse in the SEC with many looking for big things from this year while Tech still suffers from the perception that developed during the CGC tenure. It would be a major event nationally.

Kind of makes me want the win that much more knowing the earthquake it would trigger.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Unlike every road game before where I simply watched GT from home, I will actually be in Oxford to cheer on the Jackets! I'm excited and win or lose it's gonna be a fun trip for me and my family.
Here's some advice:

a. Ditch your parents upon arrival
b. Score early and often
c. Drink lots of whiskey
d. Find your way back before your parents drive home

There's some mighty hot women in Oxford. You're gonna have the time of your life as long as you execute the first 3 of the above steps. Step #4 is optional, there's other ways to get home but you may not want to leave. Staying there is an option.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think GT covers that ....our defense will likely be severely outmanned and our offense will likely play/score less than they did against L'ville. Hope I'm wrong, but I think GT could lose by A LOT in this one.
I don't like it, but I think you're right. Unless Thacker has been holding back, I don't think we have a prayer to even slow Ole Miss down. Hopefully we can score, but we'll need to perfect on O and ST to have a chance.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I don't think GT covers that ....our defense will likely be severely outmanned and our offense will likely play/score less than they did against L'ville. Hope I'm wrong, but I think GT could lose by A LOT in this one.

Your last two posts have been “we’re getting blown out by Ole Miss” I don’t think you’ve posted in years lol. Is this Geoff?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Hoping the thack attack makes a return for this game. D is going to need to step up big time for this one
In the weird emotional way college football works I have a hunch the Jackets D will be fired up for this game because of the defections.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Minimum we should score is 17. I think we at least get to 24 and it's possible we get into the 30's.

I just don't know about our defense. On one hand you can see us pretty easily giving up 56, maybe we generate some turnovers and keep them in the high 20's. Their QB seems to have gotten more accurate which is not good considering we have trouble with LBs covering and our tackling in space is very suspect.

My guess is unfortunately 52-31, we get a garbage late TD to make it seem closer than it really was. My heart says Thack's boys play out of their minds and we rip off an unexpected victory 38-31. It would be very GT to leave Oxford with a W when everyone has us penciled in for a L.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Not expecting a win, but I think we have a shot at covering the spread.
A few things have changed since our 42-0 drubbing last year. We’ve not been blanked since Key took over. In 2022 our anemic offense was averaging about 14 points/game when TFG left, which includes the cupcake game. Under Key, it improved to about 18 points/game for the last 8 despite our troubles at QB and a straight ACC schedule and uga. This year, with the huge caveat that we’re only 2 games in and one was a cupcake, we’ve averaged 41 pts/game. On the negative side, we are going to need some playmakers to emerge on D. It's also our first true road game this year. All that to say Ole Miss may equal or better their offensive production from last year, but I think we’ll also score enough to beat the spread.
It will be a good test for the new offense, which I'm hoping can keep our defense off the field for a few plays.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Here's some advice:

a. Ditch your parents upon arrival
b. Score early and often
c. Drink lots of whiskey
d. Find your way back before your parents drive home

There's some mighty hot women in Oxford. You're gonna have the time of your life as long as you execute the first 3 of the above steps. Step #4 is optional, there's other ways to get home but you may not want to leave. Staying there is an option.
😂 thanks but I’m more of a Sprite person.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
A 42-24 type of thing wouldn’t shock me but I don’t see them getting 50 and I don’t see us getting under 20 so covering seems realistic. And an upset within the realm of the possible.

We’ve only seen two games so it’s hard to be super confidence in this offense being the huge leap that it appears to be. But I’m encouraged by big yard and point numbers DESPITE a bunch of miscues like missed FGs and scoring range turnovers.

Bust out the ol bend but don’t break and hope for turnovers.