GT Vollebees

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Louisville embarrassed and destroyed Penn State today... which isn't what I was hoping for for PSU to finish out strong...:rolleyes:
I am not surprised. UL will be tough again this year. We played PSU our first game with a lot of new faces. This group should improve as we get further into the season.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I noticed #3 Anna Boezi got some quality minutes this weekend and appeared to play pretty well. I wasn't able to watch the games this weekend. Does anyone know if Boezi is playing on the outside or middle?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I noticed #3 Anna Boezi got some quality minutes this weekend and appeared to play pretty well. I wasn't able to watch the games this weekend. Does anyone know if Boezi is playing on the outside or middle?
Unless you paid money for Rattlers+, no one was able to watch the games this weekend. Hopefully, they'll pop up on YouTube, but I somehow doubt it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Whoever votes for the AVCA rankings are absolutely idiots. Tech is 7-0 without playing a single home game. We have two Top15 away wins and a Top10 neutral-site win. Meanwhile, Minnesota is ahead of us with 3 losses. Texas is ahead of us with 2 losses. 5 undefeated teams. 1-4 and then us at 10. Ridiculously high lack of respect for a program that has been pretty damn good the past couple of years and has been dominating. Florida (#3) beat USF 3-2 the day after we spanked them 3-0.

It will be interesting to see how precipitous a fall we take when we stumble and get our first loss.

Ohio State #19 and 3-4 and Kentucky #21 at 2-4. What are these voters thinking?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Whoever votes for the AVCA rankings are absolutely idiots. Tech is 7-0 without playing a single home game. We have two Top15 away wins and a Top10 neutral-site win. Meanwhile, Minnesota is ahead of us with 3 losses. Texas is ahead of us with 2 losses. 5 undefeated teams. 1-4 and then us at 10. Ridiculously high lack of respect for a program that has been pretty damn good the past couple of years and has been dominating. Florida (#3) beat USF 3-2 the day after we spanked them 3-0.

It will be interesting to see how precipitous a fall we take when we stumble and get our first loss.

Ohio State #19 and 3-4 and Kentucky #21 at 2-4. What are these voters thinking?
My thoughts exactly.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Somebody is paying attention
Well the rankings never bother me... Michella Chester, she's a beat reporter for NCAA volleyball but sometimes I wonder about her volleyball knowledge bc I don't see her having played the game. But she went to uga and lives in ATL so she may have a soft spot for us (not complaining). I'd rather be that we be underdogs. PSU win is looking to be a bust and the past weekend with 3 wins were really cupcake matches. Let's see how we really do this year against Louisville and Pitt.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Well the rankings never bother me... Michella Chester, she's a beat reporter for NCAA volleyball but sometimes I wonder about her volleyball knowledge bc I don't see her having played the game. But she went to uga and lives in ATL so she may have a soft spot for us (not complaining). I'd rather be that we be underdogs. PSU win is looking to be a bust and the past weekend with 3 wins were really cupcake matches. Let's see how we really do this year against Louisville and Pitt.
I don't disagree with you. But come tournament time, I want us to have the highest seed possible so we have home court advantage until the tourney shifts to the neutral sites. Coming to Tampa this year for the championships! I want to see the entire GTSwarm community here for that (assuming we get to the finals)!

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't disagree with you. But come tournament time, I want us to have the highest seed possible so we have home court advantage until the tourney shifts to the neutral sites. Coming to Tampa this year for the championships! I want to see the entire GTSwarm community here for that (assuming we get to the finals)!
Tampa would for final 4 right?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Either we’re way off our game or UGa is better than their record shows. Because they are blocking and hitting better than Tech

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Just got back from the game. McCamish was pretty full and the energy was great. Great to see so many young kids and teens at this game and being inspired.
So the first set, we did what everyone's expected tho towards the end of the set, uga was closing in pretty close.
2nd set started as a disaster. We have a tendency of doing this the last few years. Win set 1 and drop set 2. At one point, we came back from a 13-19 deficit to then go down to the wire and unfortunately lost.

What's clear for the rest of the match is that Mendes/D'Amico/Bertolino stopped becoming effective. Mendes just could not get a kill and her spikes would be too weak or blocked. I'm trying to remember if how it was for Bergmann's freshman year in 2019... we had a pretty good run then after a disappointing start. Can we do the same this year?

The player combo that was working was Soares/Manyang/Mogridge. It's a mystery why Michelle brought back D'Amico and Mendes at the end of set 2 when the set was on the line (which we dropped).

Set 3, Michelle didn't bring in Soares and Manyang until uga was at 23 points. My friend that came to the game, his first volleyball game ever, commented "the coach really doesn't like to do subs, huh?"

Set 4, more good from Soares and Manyang. It's just frustrating when they have to be rotated out. We'd go up and get within 2 or even tie a few times, then fall back.

Some clear issues that are not new: bad first touch, which leads to not great sets, which doesn't give our hitters a good ball to make the kill - tho even with a good set, Mendes stopped being effective after the first set. I've said this last year - D'Amico continues to make sets that are too low esp when setting to the middle, which doesn't give good angles for our hitters. uga also stepped up and played with more vigor. Their blocking game clearly shined from set 2 on. Their #2 is a difference maker. Our usual expectations from Mendes, Mogridge, Pierce, and Bertolino didn't pan out and they were stuffed a lot of times or their spikes were defended well. Pimentel made some key errors sets on the line. Otene looked tired. uga is pretty good and we are not as good as what we'd like to believe... can't take away anything from them.

I think this was a good wake up call. We'll probably drop to 18 or 20 or something like that in the rankings. Forget about the ridiculous #6 ranking by Michella Chester (maybe that went to our heads). We're clearly not as good as that. However, let's believe our Lady Jackets will be back strong after this. Penn State and even Texas are having some bad games this year.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the match. The digs were outstanding, the setting was horrible. The hitting was almost nonexistent at times, but too many balls were sent to hitters too far back and also right in the heart of the defense. I lost count of how many lollipops Tech floated just over the net that got smashed back down. Incredibly, most of the time when Georgia floated a ball just above the net, our hitters did nothing with them.
I don't expect aces from Mogridge, but she needs to sit on the bench until she can serve the ball over the net. Yes, it was that bad.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree... our Achilles heel is setting the last 2 years. Also gone are slides that Moss and Morrissette used to do and we rarely see any backcourt attacks.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll say this... Bertolino's jump serve is sick! So glad it's in her arsenal this year. It reminds me of Kaiser's serve but we're getting a lot more aces and connected points out of Berto's.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this... Bertolino's jump serve is sick! So glad it's in her arsenal this year. It reminds me of Kaiser's serve but we're getting a lot more aces and connected points out of Berto's.
Yes, it is. You can almost feel the opposition’s fear when she throws it up to the rafters.