GT Vollebees

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice sweep 3-0 (25-16, 25-14, 25-21) at Virginia Tech last night. This was Michelle Collier's 101st win at GT making her the winningest VB coach at GT.

Next match at Wake Forest on Sunday @ 1 PM. TV: ACC Network Extra. This should be a good matchup for the Jackets. Wake is 11-3 (3-0) and just swept Clemson.

Nice recovery with 6-1 run in hard fought first set. 25-22.

Thanks for the heads up.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pretty close, but a win is a win.
1696191446479.png

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn’t get to watch today. Was Mogridge able to play?
Nope she didn't play at all. At least she wasn't on clutches so that's a good sign.
A lot more time to Pierce. Also some floor time to Boezi and Harper. I like what I'm seeing with Harper. D'Amico played briefly but was subbed out for Soares who played much of the game and Cukur getting some time as well.
Grinded out the win... had me really worried in the 4th and 5th sets. Bertolino's serves are a difference maker and contributed to us going up big at the beginning of the 5th set that left us in a good position.
I feel like what WF did today was like when we play against Pitt and Louisville... we sometimes get really close and then they find a way to win (except for that one win against Pitt we have) but at least now we're in the conversation and pretty universally accepted as a solid #3 behind them.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's great to see these freshmen getting minutes in close matches. I love coach Collier's willingness to take risks this year to give these young women experience.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a nice write-up from the match yesterday. The writer knows volleyball.

Great write-up. Thanks for the link. I'm reading the articles for the past games as well.

Looks like he's pointing out our setting inconsistencies. I'm not sure what to make of D'Amico - she's clearly improved compared to last season and was hoping she'd finish out the season strong but we're seeing inconsistent performances. It does give a lot of playing time to Soares so that should carry over well for next year. For me, it's always nice to see players who's been buried in the depth chart actually get some playing time this year like Harper, Boezi, and Sanden. Who's going to be our libero next year?

Pitt's gonna be a tough tough match... hoping for the best.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
It's great to see these freshmen getting minutes in close matches. I love coach Collier's willingness to take risks this year to give these young women experience.
This depth may help make a difference in determining the top couple of spots in the conference by the end if the season. With yesterday's upset of Louisville in 4 sets by the Wolfpack the top spot in the ACC is up for grabs. Currently we have 4 teams at 4-0 and three more teams at 3-1. Should be a fun few weeks to see how it all shakes out.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I swear, I felt like crawling through the TV and punching that commentator in the throat. How unprofessional is it to not pronounce the names to the players correctly? I mean, really, how hard it is to go to one of the staff or the SID and ask how to pronounce these foreign names correctly? I swear, how unprofessional.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Huge use of depth. Freshmen had significant minutes. Don’t know if D’Amico is hurt, but she’s was double hitting all weekend, which leads me to believe either a wrist or finger issues. Subbed out in the 1st and never went back in. Boezi and Harper got a ton of minutes. I was surprised to not see Laura Fischer more. Only at the end. Lauren Sanden and Elizabeth Patterson were also in for a while. I really like when she brings in Soares and Manyang on the 6/2.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I swear, I felt like crawling through the TV and punching that commentator in the throat. How unprofessional is it to not pronounce the names to the players correctly? I mean, really, how hard it is to go to one of the staff or the SID and ask how to pronounce these foreign names correctly? I swear, how unprofessional.
I bothers me a little but not something you can expect all the time... esp if you don't know how to pronounce "Michelle" or "Collier" in Portuguese. I asked my friend in Rio how to pronounce Soares and it's not "Sore-res" or "Swa-res" like I always hear on TV. It's more like "Soowah-resh". So basically it's not what we think.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Just finished watching the NC State vs Louisville match. NC State was on fire! No wonder they gave us a good run for the money. Wow, what a fun match! Their coach with all that international and Olympic experience really seems to be paying off. This only raises our stock for beating them and that's great since our wins over Penn State and OSU went bust. Maybe the rest of the conference is catching up akin to what happens with women's soccer this year with the world catching up and surpassing the USWNT. I remember when we'd lose to Louisville 0-3 a few years ago and look at where we are now. Really cool to see so many ACC teams having a good season thus far.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Huge use of depth. Freshmen had significant minutes. Don’t know if D’Amico is hurt, but she’s was double hitting all weekend, which leads me to believe either a wrist or finger issues. Subbed out in the 1st and never went back in. Boezi and Harper got a ton of minutes. I was surprised to not see Laura Fischer more. Only at the end. Lauren Sanden and Elizabeth Patterson were also in for a while. I really like when she brings in Soares and Manyang on the 6/2.
I wondered the same about D’Amico.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I bothers me a little but not something you can expect all the time... esp if you don't know how to pronounce "Michelle" or "Collier" in Portuguese. I asked my friend in Rio how to pronounce Soares and it's not "Sore-res" or "Swa-res" like I always hear on TV. It's more like "Soowah-resh". So basically it's not what we think.
Replying to my own post lol.
So according to my friend, Heloise Soares is pronounced like "eh-lo-eezy swah-resh" (no h sound if in front of word but h is "r" sound in Portuguese)