GT Vollebees

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Exciting first 2 sets. Then imploded a la Louisville last year. The last 3 sets were not even close. We just can't seem to get over that hump vs Pitt and Louisville. This would've been a signature win for sure and boosted us in the rankings and RPI. Hoping for a strong finish. Let's host the tourney!!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s a different match if we’re 100% healthy. Boezi, Manyang, and Price have played well, but they’re not Mogridge. She’s a difference maker in the middle. Instead of a 5-1, we’re playing a 6-2, which is good for depth, but still missing Liv. bTW, where’s Fischer? She was to go-to earlier in the season and last year when they needed a big sub.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, what a nail biter. Way too close and UVA was 8-7 coming in.

Something is off and you're right forensic, not having Mogridge really hurts. Also noticed that our kills were not hitting the floor but going straight to the UVA players and to their credit, they had many fantastic digs. We were also out of system a lot. And definitely not seeing many blocks compared to all the blocks we saw from the Morrissette and Moss duo and seems like the slides have become non-existent.

Afedo not playing anymore... reason? Slump? She had been such a difference maker earlier. Collier going back to 5-1 and sticking to it?
Otene seems to go really hot (like first 2 sets of Pitt) and also really cold.
Good to see Engeman finally get playing time. Not sure if she's ever played before but this is the first time I've seen her play in a match (did she play at all her frosh year? Can't remember). Does anyone know what injury she sustained last year? Did she tear something in the knee?

Grinded out the win but it does make me worry about the matches ahead with better teams with better records than UVA...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The team is really good, but something is off a bit right now. Mogridge is the obvious answer, but our sets are still not great much of the time. This match should not have had the drama.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
The team is really good, but something is off a bit right now. Mogridge is the obvious answer, but our sets are still not great much of the time. This match should not have had the drama.
I've been trying to lay off setting as it's a recurring theme but agree... our setting is not great and having an obvious impact to getting clean attacks (or lack of).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What's weird is all the subbing in of players that usually don't get any burn. I think we had Sanden, Patterson, and Engeman in at the same time. Didn't see Manyang, Harper, or Fischer. Did D'Amico play at all? Is she hurt? I think I saw Boezi for a hot minute only. It seems that Mogridge's injury has thrown us in akimbo and Collier hasn't figured it out yet.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What's weird is all the subbing in of players that usually don't get any burn. I think we had Sanden, Patterson, and Engeman in at the same time. Didn't see Manyang, Harper, or Fischer. Did D'Amico play at all? Is she hurt? I think I saw Boezi for a hot minute only. It seems that Mogridge's injury has thrown us in akimbo and Collier hasn't figured it out yet.
I think she is trying to find more than Mogridge's alternative. As good as we are individually, the team isn't playing consistently at the level we need. I won't be surprised to see us drop a bit after a 10 set weekend (three straight 5-set matches). Fortunately we won the matches where we were favored.

On the flip side, those four matches were all on the road. That was a grueling stretch.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
D'Amico played in set 1 and Afedo sets 1 and 2. I actually started watching from set 3 and didn't see either of them for the rest of the match. Harper came in very briefly (I think - set 4?) and we tried subbing in Fischer for Soares at the end of set 4 for a play but then ref said late sub and wouldn't allow it. UVA played a very clean game... can't remember seeing many service errors and out of bounds attacks.

For the rest of October, we have FSU, Da U, Duke, UNC, Boston College, and Syracuse. They all are winnable on paper.
November is a killer schedule (Pitt again and Louisville twice). Hope to avenge the Pitt loss at home and at least split one with the Cards.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
D'Amico played in set 1 and Afedo sets 1 and 2. I actually started watching from set 3 and didn't see either of them for the rest of the match. Harper came in very briefly (I think - set 4?) and we tried subbing in Fischer for Soares at the end of set 4 for a play but then ref said late sub and wouldn't allow it. UVA played a very clean game... can't remember seeing many service errors and out of bounds attacks.

For the rest of October, we have FSU, Da U, Duke, UNC, Boston College, and Syracuse. They all are winnable on paper.
November is a killer schedule (Pitt again and Louisville twice). Hope to avenge the Pitt loss at home and at least split one with the Cards.
I came in about the same time. I think I watched UVa score the last 3 points to win the 2nd set.

We were slow to rotate on the blocks and there were plenty of open lanes for them to put the ball away. That was the difference between how we played today and how we usually play.

I agree, we're ready to get home and play some games in Heisman.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck

Coach tried to give D'Amico some run in set two but you see how that went. Her sets are just not where they need to be and that has been a recurring theme for a few weeks now. She seems to have lost all her timing with the middles and that has forced us out wide making it much too easy to block us. After her chance in set 2 she never saw the court again. Hopefully she can get her mojo back because it is always great to have the option of two different setters to allow for key defensive rotations at critical points in the match. So this problem combined with Mogridge's injury have made us look a little out of sorts. I agree with the other poster about how valuable Mogridge's presence is in the middle. At 6'4" and a strong build she was getting us consistent blocks in the middle which we are missing now. It didn't hurt us as much today as it did on Friday when Pitt's middles ate us up. If we can get back to full strength soon I think we have a good chance at taking the top spot in the conference. Until then let's hope all the court time others are seeing now pays off in the long run. Giving more players some court time definitely helps team morale and who knows, maybe we find another star. Nobody knew who Lou Gehrig was until Wally Pipp got hurt.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Was at the match. Man! This might've been the longest match I've ever attended. I almost went home early in the 4th set. Glad I didn't!
Michelle was trying all kinds of things to find our rhythm. She put D'Amico back in. Harper. Engeman. We finally seemed to find our gear in mid 4th when things started clicking and the ladies seemed to start playing with no fear. O'tene definitely stepped up 4th and 5th sets and was on fire. O'Keefe was crazy.

Refs were getting lots of flak... I thought the head ref was horrible... he just seemed like he didn't see anything. Re-watching at home... maybe not as bad as we felt at O'Keefe.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Without Mogridge in the middle, we are just a really good team. With Mogridge, we are an elite team. She's not limping, she's not favoring her leg. I wonder what's keeping her out. Do we have any idea of what the injury is?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Without Mogridge in the middle, we are just a really good team. With Mogridge, we are an elite team. She's not limping, she's not favoring her leg. I wonder what's keeping her out. Do we have any idea of what the injury is?
Agree, but I would rather her come back free from injury rather than risking another. Clearly, we are not the same team without her.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Was at the match. Man! This might've been the longest match I've ever attended. I almost went home early in the 4th set. Glad I didn't!
Michelle was trying all kinds of things to find our rhythm. She put D'Amico back in. Harper. Engeman. We finally seemed to find our gear in mid 4th when things started clicking and the ladies seemed to start playing with no fear. O'tene definitely stepped up 4th and 5th sets and was on fire. O'Keefe was crazy.

Refs were getting lots of flak... I thought the head ref was horrible... he just seemed like he didn't see anything. Re-watching at home... maybe not as bad as we felt at O'Keefe.

Seems Michelle is a really good coach at adjusting I was watching the game and a show and wondered what the difference was in the 4th set. It was a different swagger and attitude.

Will all this experience for more players will pay off later in the season / post season? Hope so, time to bring in the backup QB.

Agree, but I would rather her come back free from injury rather than risking another. Clearly, we are not the same team without her.

100%. Re injuries take a lot longer to heal. Post season performance is the goal. Need to get her back and the rust off before the post season?

Last edited: