GT Vollebees

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I read somewhere that we hosted several teams last week for some volleyball scrimmages. Anyone hear how did? Who had outstanding perfomances for us? Wondering how some of the newcomers performed also.

Cls66

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t understand the total black out of the results. Why hold a tournament and publish a schedule and never tell what happened.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t understand the total black out of the results. Why hold a tournament and publish a schedule and never tell what happened.
I did see a brief hype video from the Volleybees account and it looked like there was a good crowd there. Would be nice if someone who was there could fill us in.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I am really nervous about this year for the volleybees. We have lost so much talent the last couple of years and I am not sure who are going to be the "go to" hitters when we absolutely have to have a point. Anyone have insight on the prospective lineup?

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I am really nervous about this year for the volleybees. We have lost so much talent the last couple of years and I am not sure who are going to be the "go to" hitters when we absolutely have to have a point. Anyone have insight on the prospective lineup?
We have Otene, D'amico, Bertolino and Pimentel back. I think Laura Fischer will play outside and middle at 6'3". Plus we have DeAndra Pierce who transferred from Texas to play the middle. I think everyone worries because we lost an All American player that we will not be able to recover. There is still a lot of talent on this team plus our opponents are all losing some of their best players as well. I also believe that our coaching makes players improve.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We have Otene, D'amico, Bertolino and Pimentel back. I think Laura Fischer will play outside and middle at 6'3". Plus we have DeAndra Pierce who transferred from Texas to play the middle. I think everyone worries because we lost an All American player that we will not be able to recover. There is still a lot of talent on this team plus our opponents are all losing some of their best players as well. I also believe that our coaching makes players improve.
Speaking for myself and looking only at outside hitters: I did not think that Otene was not terribly impressive last year - maybe she makes a massive jump in production. Bertolino is a terrific player but does not appear to have the height or the hops to be a dominant outside hitter. Given her defensive stats and dig rate, her best position might be libero. I truly hope that Fischer becomes our killer outside hitter - I haven't seen her play enough to have a good feel. Who else have we got? Pierce is a middle blocker/mid hitter; the others you mentioned are a setter and a libero.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking for myself and looking only at outside hitters: I did not think that Otene was not terribly impressive last year - maybe she makes a massive jump in production. Bertolino is a terrific player but does not appear to have the height or the hops to be a dominant outside hitter. Given her defensive stats and dig rate, her best position might be libero. I truly hope that Fischer becomes our killer outside hitter - I haven't seen her play enough to have a good feel. Who else have we got? Pierce is a middle blocker/mid hitter; the others you mentioned are a setter and a libero.
First of all I disagree with your assessment of Otene. I think she plays with great power. I agree about Bertolino, she tends to play more of a finesse game. On her national team I think she plays libero. As far as other outside possibilities I think either Mikayla White or Leia Harper could help there.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GT swept MTSU in the first exhibition game. Ugaly then beat MTSU, 2-0. Game 3, the Mutts swept the Volleybees 3-0(I didn’t care to tell you that bit of news). Exhibitions.

Cls66

Georgia Tech Fan
GT swept MTSU in the first exhibition game. Ugaly then beat MTSU, 2-0. Game 3, the Mutts swept the Volleybees 3-0(I didn’t care to tell you that bit of news). Exhibitions.
Thanks for the report. What were the highlights?

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I was just reading about our most recent volleyball signing class. I transfer middle blocker from TCU, 2 international setters (Turkey and Brazil) and 2 international outside hitters (Brazil and Russia). Looks like a very impressive class!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was just reading about our most recent volleyball signing class. I transfer middle blocker from TCU, 2 international setters (Turkey and Brazil) and 2 international outside hitters (Brazil and Russia). Looks like a very impressive class!
Can you post the link? Thanks.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking forward to the Turkish setter. Looks like we have a Brazilian setter as well?
I went to the uga spring match (missed the MTSU match b/c I was at the football game). Julia and Breland played part time, off and on but mostly stayed on the sidelines. Saw Deandra Pierce get a lot of playing time. At first, I wasn't aware she was a transfer from Texas... She's very thin so I thought she was a new freshman player. I think the team will struggle this year but hope I'm wrong!

Really looking forward to Paris 2024 to see Julia play again in person! (hopefully)

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking forward to the Turkish setter. Looks like we have a Brazilian setter as well?
I went to the uga spring match (missed the MTSU match b/c I was at the football game). Julia and Breland played part time, off and on but mostly stayed on the sidelines. Saw Deandra Pierce get a lot of playing time. At first, I wasn't aware she was a transfer from Texas... She's very thin so I thought she was a new freshman player. I think the team will struggle this year but hope I'm wrong!

Really looking forward to Paris 2024 to see Julia play again in person! (hopefully)
Not sure they will struggle. Looking at the new player bios these players have a ton of experience and much of it on an international level. The transfers from Texas and TCU have some good experience on the collegiate level. What will be interesting is to see if we go with a larger and deeper rotation than we have in the past. Color me intrigued to see how all this new talent plays out. What IS apparent to me is Tech volleyball appears to be drawing a lot more interest than we have in the past from a recruiting standpoint with a lot of international flavor.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure they will struggle. Looking at the new player bios these players have a ton of experience and much of it on an international level. The transfers from Texas and TCU have some good experience on the collegiate level. What will be interesting is to see if we go with a larger and deeper rotation than we have in the past. Color me intrigued to see how all this new talent plays out. What IS apparent to me is Tech volleyball appears to be drawing a lot more interest than we have in the past from a recruiting standpoint with a lot of international flavor.
Yeah I hope you're right! I looked at the 2 new Brazilian players and they seem to have U18 national team experience? Definitely ballers considering Julia and Mariana were also both on the youth national teams. Pretty excited about the new players. It does make me wonder if the US players or non-transfer players we have recruited in the last 3 years or so will ever get much playing time...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I hope you're right! I looked at the 2 new Brazilian players and they seem to have U18 national team experience? Definitely ballers considering Julia and Mariana were also both on the youth national teams. Pretty excited about the new players. It does make me wonder if the US players or non-transfer players we have recruited in the last 3 years or so will ever get much playing time...
If they earn it, they will.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
If they earn it, they will.
Yeah I think coach has shown she will put the best players on the floor no matter who they are or where they come from. I think the South American players have a bit of an advantage because they grow up playing a style of volleyball that coach Collier prefers to run. She has also demonstrated that if you don't perform she is not afraid to replace you. I think her success at Tech has made us a "destination" program which is attracting players who may have looked elsewhere before. Personally I believe recruiting will continue to improve and the women may have to get used to playing in McCamish as the fan base grows.