Film Room GT v Vt 2018 Film Review

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
After the VT game, Foster called the play a QB sweep and in the presser CPJ called it an option.

Curious if anyone has closely examined the play to see:
1. Is it an option or designed QB keep?
2. Are there two versions: an option version and a designed keep version?
3. Is this the same play ran by TQM against UT in the game at MB stadium? That was the first time I remember seeing it.
4. Which position is the pitchman if it is an option?
5. Can the play be considered a variation of the speed option and what are the key differences between it and the speed option?
We've been talking about this a lot, and I think the consensus is "we aren't sure".

In my opinion it's an option. If you watch here, we leave the first defender outside the WR unblocked. The defender has no intention of taking the QB so Oliver appears to never consider the pitch. The AB is watching the QB the whole time though

Funny enough, the poster of the video thinks it's a sweep too! In the video description he says
I'm pretty sure the 'QB Sweeps' are correct as opposed to 'Lead Option' - at no point is Oliver looking to pitch the ball - either that or Louisville made the reads super easy
I disagree with him here and think Louisville was just making it easy.

Here is an example of them not making it easy and TO jukes the option key

Deleted member 2897

The nice thing about these types of plays is that if you want to fire LBs into the gaps, go for it. There is no mesh to disrupt, and the QB is already off to the races one side or the other. And since you've fired a gap or two, you now have less people to protect the edges...and at the edges you now have an AB lead blocking and a BB coming up to block too. So you get a good numbers advantage on one side or the other. In this particular case in the last video, we line up with a bunch formation so the safeties were in tight, Louisville didn't fire anybody into the gaps, and we STILL got 8 yards. Our OL did a great job penetrating to the 2nd level and sealing inside...as did the WR playside and that AB and BB.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
In this particular case in the last video, we line up with a bunch formation so the safeties were in tight

I am pretty sure we have only run this play from our tight formation. With as much tape as there is on this play now, I am interested to see what Miami will bring into it.

Deleted member 2897

I am pretty sure we have only run this play from our tight formation. With as much tape as there is on this play now, I am interested to see what Miami will bring into it.

That's also the formation where we sent Ricky Jeune long against VPISU for the game winning TD catch in 2017 and it was the formation we sent Qua Searcy out of against North Carolina last week. So fire them safeties too if you want! :D

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
After the VT game, Foster called the play a QB sweep and in the presser CPJ called it an option.

Curious if anyone has closely examined the play to see:
1. Is it an option or designed QB keep?
2. Are there two versions: an option version and a designed keep version?
3. Is this the same play ran by TQM against UT in the game at MB stadium? That was the first time I remember seeing it.
4. Which position is the pitchman if it is an option?
5. Can the play be considered a variation of the speed option and what are the key differences between it and the speed option?

Now that your thread has been merged into the vpi thread, see my post above with the videos.

Several of the Zone options that we ran against vpi were "Power Lead" variant, so I have to change my answer to your 2nd question. There are more variants, and yes the "Power Lead" variant doesn't appear to have a pitch option. Rather than trailing, the back-side A-Back cuts across right behind the line of scrimmage and gets ahead of the play.

I think we have previously only used that motion on Speed Options and pass plays.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is just a power option where the BBack is the lead from the tight set... I think it is a called keeper from CPJ. You can see an obvious pitch read in the UNC clip... but keep in mind it is a called keeper and one guy defeats his block to ruin the play.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is just a power option where the BBack is the lead from the tight set... I think it is a called keeper from CPJ. You can see an obvious pitch read in the UNC clip... but keep in mind it is a called keeper and one guy defeats his block to ruin the play.

Yeah, I (and I'm just trying to figure it out from new the last couple of weeks) think that each of those was technically an option and that TO is just committing to keep it pretty early (whether told to by CPJ (probably) or not). TO comes out from behind center and seems to take his first steps with both hands on the ball which seems to me to scream option.

But, again, I'm just guessing. It would have been nice to see him pitch on that last one.

I kind of think I remember a late pitch in the UNC game where the A-Back is parallel to TO going up the sideline. Does that sound familiar to you?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think there is a difference between this and our normal load options. We have no pulling lineman and we seem to just block the man head up.
I would like someone to tell me if this is a different play because it looks the same to me:

The difference here being Pitt attacked this behind the line of scrimmage forcing the read. In all the other clips, you can see the CB slow playing it after the LOS. I believe the only thing that makes this a "called keep" is the defensive scheme, not the actual play call.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think there is a difference between this and our normal load options. We have no pulling lineman and we seem to just block the man head up.
I would like someone to tell me if this is a different play because it looks the same to me:

The difference here being Pitt attacked this behind the line of scrimmage forcing the read. In all the other clips, you can see the CB slow playing it after the LOS. I believe the only thing that makes this a "called keep" is the defensive scheme, not the actual play call.

Yeah, that's a Load Option, imo, and not the Zone Option we've been looking at.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Another example with Marshall running it, but in the USF game.

It just looks like the CB takes himself so far out of the play it looks like a called keep.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I just rechecked and TO never pitches on the tight set lead/power option. He does pitch on the speed option. Notice this is with the B-Back.

Just to be picky because I'm trying to get this new terminology down myself, I knew that he didn't pitch on the Lead Power variant of the Zone Option (the A-Back is leading). I was wondering if he pitched in one that looked like that last clip where the A-Back is trailing. That being said, I accept your answer that he did not pitch to an A-back along the sideline. Thanks!!!!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that's a Load Option, imo, and not the Zone Option we've been looking at.
I am struggling to see what is different about it though. The BB leads in both. The playside AB chips and goes to second level in both. The WR goes up and seals in both. What makes it different?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think they have two versions and one is a true option. The DE is not blocked and one where he is blocked. It may be a call in how they line up or just precalled.

There were no “blocked DE” tight set plays that resulted in a ABack pitch... that I saw... but I went pretty quick.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Here is the play when it is a 100% keep:

Notice motion AB leads this time. I still feel like we are optioning the CB on the playside on the plays with trailing AB, but he takes himself out of the play so early that the QB is just tucking.