Film Room GT v Vt 2018 Film Review

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Now, that was fun to watch! And I wasn't watching as closely as I should have. I was getting on Oliver's case about not running the midline correctly. Wrong. He did a great job. In fact, he was running the midline and speed options well. Since we weren't running too many TOs it's hard to tell if he's ready for that, but he did well on the ones we did run.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting this link. I read the series and it is very illuminating. We did some things - the QB sweep - at VT that aren't in there, but most everything is.

Also, reading this series is the definitive proof that the O is much more complex then the "high school offense" crowd is willing to admit. Indeed, although the number of plays is limited, the number of - heh, heh - options on each makes for an extremely complex scheme for Ds to figure out. Oth, the rules are fairly simple for the O, especially for the skill positions. Good thing too; if they weren't nobody could ever learn how to play QB.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Midline might be the most commonly used play in this offense. Even though inside veer is the core play, many defenses use fronts that conflict the inside veer, and midline is designed specifically to take advantage of those fronts.

People played our offense differently in 2015 than they do now. I wonder if this is still the case, or if we call midline more based on the QB we have. We seemed to run more midline with Nesbitt and Washington than with Vad, JT, Marshall. I wonder if that is a consequence of defenses, qb, or both (I'm guessing both). Oliver certainly seemed to get a few midlines going and we did run some against Louisville and Duke. It just seemed to be more bread and butter with Tevin and Nesbitt.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Well done, as usual.

Not that the "tight formation" hasn't been used before, but to this layman it seemed to be used more often than usual last Thursday night. And when Tech does use it, Tech is using, essentially, tight ends (!) -- by alignment if not by title -- in the offense. Of course, standard flexbone nomenclature doesn't use the words "tight ends," but instead refers to the wide receiver being in a "nasty" position, a yard or so outside the tackle -- pretty darn close to where a TE is in a more conventional formation. (Frankly, TEs in conventional offenses call to mind a different physique than that of a typical wide receiver; nonetheless, by alignment in the tight formation, Tech wide receivers (by title) are functioning as tight ends.)

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well done, as usual.

Not that the "tight formation" hasn't been used before, but to this layman it seemed to be used more often than usual last Thursday night. And when Tech does use it, Tech is using, essentially, tight ends (!) -- by alignment if not by title -- in the offense. Of course, standard flexbone nomenclature doesn't use the words "tight ends," but instead refers to the wide receiver being in a "nasty" position, a yard or so outside the tackle -- pretty darn close to where a TE is in a more conventional formation. (Frankly, TEs in conventional offenses call to mind a different physique than that of a typical wide receiver; nonetheless, by alignment in the tight formation, Tech wide receivers (by title) are functioning as tight ends.)
Our wide receivers block as much as a traditional tight end anyway so it’s a wash.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nice job as always @Longestday There's apparently a reason why we weren't familiar with the "Zone Option," apparently we haven't run it before this year. Here's a couple videos on it.

Everytime the guy says "inside knee to the crotch," drink

The Power Lead variant doesn't appear to be an option since the pitch a-back also becomes a blocker, iiuc.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
@Longestday i just got around to watching this last night. Excellent job as always and thanks for doing these. I had a saying back in 2009 that the Midline is Money - I'm a happy guy when we can run that. It's almost a guarantee of 5-6 yards. Oliver reminds me of Nez running that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Nice job as always @Longestday There's apparently a reason why we weren't familiar with the "Zone Option," apparently we haven't run it before this year. Here's a couple videos on it.

Everytime the guy says "inside knee to the crotch," drink

The Power Lead variant doesn't appear to be an option since the pitch a-back also becomes a blocker, iiuc.

CPJ said it’s the same play we ran 30 times versus South Florida.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
After the VT game, Foster called the play a QB sweep and in the presser CPJ called it an option.

Curious if anyone has closely examined the play to see:
1. Is it an option or designed QB keep?
2. Are there two versions: an option version and a designed keep version?
3. Is this the same play ran by TQM against UT in the game at MB stadium? That was the first time I remember seeing it.
4. Which position is the pitchman if it is an option?
5. Can the play be considered a variation of the speed option and what are the key differences between it and the speed option?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
1. It is a Zone Option, in which the QB keeps unless forced to pitch. As others have said, the OL is Zone blocking which is what most "Spread" teams do, iiuc, so I'm guessing that it looks like a QB sweep from a zone-blocking team.
2. No (other than that CPJ, as with any option play, can dictate the option to be followed)
3. I don't think so. A coach who coaches coaches on the flexbone option said that this was the first year we've run it.
4. The trailing A-Back is the pitch option.
5. No. The Speed Option is a double option with the B-Back as the pitch option. Also, I think we typically man block our Speed Option.