Film Room GT V UNC Video Breakdown

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Watched about the first half of this...a few takeaways:

1. We've got to get Marcus Marshall the ball. There are several plays on that first drive that may explode if the B back makes a cut
2. There's a receiver that everyone is excited about that needs to get a little better at blocking
3. We still did not do a great job of blocking the Mike linebacker. If this doesn't improve it's going to be a long season

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The O improved... although the Defense they faced was not nearly as good as ND or Duke.

No doubt Summers is big for Saturday and some more vision at BB would help. Brad is blocking well for a true freshman.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The O improved... although the Defense they faced was not nearly as good as ND or Duke.

No doubt Summers is big for Saturday and some more vision at BB would help. Brad is blocking well for a true freshman.

Fwiw, I think UNC's D is much improved. I agree that they're probably not as good as Duke or ND, but may be. Still, they're not the dumpster fire that they were last year, imo. Given that they haven't faced great offenses before us, they still allowed only 17 vs SC and 14 vs IL and two others.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

This is the key part of your statement...unfortunately it's not well enough to spring big plays on the edge. On that first drive in your video where he went down field...you alluded to it, but I think he was supposed to crack back on the safety and just went the wrong way.

...and the offense improved at first, but kind of digressed in the second half. I can't find a breakdown anywhere, but I'd be interested to see our second half rushing totals. I don't think they were very good.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I think UNC's D is much improved. I agree that they're probably not as good as Duke or ND, but may be. Still, they're not the dumpster fire that they were last year, imo. Given that they haven't faced great offenses before us, they still allowed only 17 vs SC and 14 vs IL and two others.
What killed me was seeing that kid who committed to GT only to not get in due to grades then easily accepted into UNC have a critical sack.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks man. I learn so much from these! If Marcus Marshall can get in and hit those holes we're gonna have a great day.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Wow thanks for the thorough video. The big question I have is what is our answer to the defensive end forcing out OT to the inside? We seemed solid at getting the mike with our guards, but the OT has no chance when they are getting shoved to the middle of the field. I don't know enough, but would straight up blocking the end with the tackle be a good choice? I don't know what the does to the other read keys though.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Still too many plays where OL's charge off the snap only to hit NO ONE.
I hear you Chesse but you have to consider the context of some of these "block nobody plays". For example, our playside OT is supposed to release on the TO and pick up the LB running towards the pitch lane. He has to take an angle that allows him to actually get a piece of the LB. Well, if he takes the right angle and the GIVE happens on the MESH, the OT may end up having nobody to block because all the players have reacted to the handoff. 'Happens sometimes when nobody did wrong.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On the last play did you really say, "you've got to catch the ball"! Give me a break!

I did say we got to catch the ball. I was, however, extremely tired from some very long work days as my voice might have shown. In fact, I was falling asleep as I ended the video lol.

Declinometer

Banned
I did say we got to catch the ball. I was, however, extremely tired from some very long work days as my voice might have shown. In fact, I was falling asleep as I ended the video lol.
I was hoping you didn't. The ball hit the ground before it reached the receiver and the DB broke on the pass preventing the WR from even getting to it. It was a desperation pass that wasn't catchable. I am surprised you said that because usually your commentary is pretty good.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

We do APPRECIATE all the you do for this site and those of us that are just not that football literate of the X's and O's. You along with Eric (is he ok?), Boomer, Cheese, AE87, John and many others (too long to list) make this site special and the best football site out there ( I have seen none better). Thanks for all you do! OBTW - when I see these films it just drives home the point that it is about execution and just a couple of plays a game can be the difference. Victory was so close, yet, so far away.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you think my videos may be of use to opposing teams? I put them on not published in YouTube. I would be interested in any feedback. Laugh at me and tell me not to worry.....

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm sure that colleges don't have enough money to pay coaches to look at game film and figure out what we do without your help.
Do you think my videos may be of use to opposing teams? I put them on not published in YouTube. I would be interested in any feedback. Laugh at me and tell me not to worry.....