GT v BC Ireland Game - IT'S ON!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the conclusion, though Navy played ND in Ireland in 2012.

"College football has something of a cult following and a lot of people LOVE the GT offence in particular so they’ll be looking forward to that." - AJC: Tech’s spread option popular in Ireland?

And you're right - everyone here would agree GT has always run the option faster than Navy (y)
I had forgotten the Navy visit, but if people think they liked that, what is not to like -- in Ireland -- about a team with a press gang foreman for a coach, a team of deception, trickery, slight of hand, larceny, general waywardness, obvious skulduggery, running a sneaky, high speed shell game, with a leprechaun named Tweedle Shortlegs, playing quarterback (hey, that is the official leprechaun handle here; it is in the book) with mysterious powers to point one to treasure, six or seven times a game? I predict Tech will be the national team of Ireland and Boston College can bring all the Irishmen they want.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
How we make it a home game for GT:

We should run some rugby pitch lines during pre-game, show the Irish fans that we combine American football with Rugby toughness and strategy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Just rent a car with a gps, get a book of B&B vouchers and a map and the the Island is yours. If you want it even more stress free, plan your stops ahead of time and make B&B reservations, that's what I did. (There's websites to facilitate this.) I can honestly say it was the best vacation I ever took.... ever!
I've only been once as part of a cruise (my mother liked cruises and she was paying the freight). It was great. Driving on the right is no biggie after the first 2 - 3 hours either. Oth, you do have to remember the biggest single piece of advice about the Isles: like the UK, Eire is a country full of foreigners who speak English. This can lead to problems unless you keep your guard up. They react differently. Example: my friend and I were going down the street after a beer or two (or three … who was counting?) and passed a bank that said it was loaning – and I quote – "free money". It was on a big poster out front. So we went in and asked the teller for some; it seemed like the obvious thing to do. They almost called the cops. An American bank would have laughed it off, but they thought we were making fun of them (we were) and were pretty upset. We left, had another beer next door (those pubs are everywhere) and got back on the boat. We behaved better in Dublin.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There would be obstacles for sure, but it would be interesting to see if Miami would move a Tech game to Havana. Not '16, but the next time they are home to Tech? (Though I just read a Post piece on tarpon fishermen and the bribes being demanded, in an out. Seems the sins of the Batista regime did not die with Castro.)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There would be obstacles for sure, but it would be interesting to see if Miami would move a Tech game to Havana. Not '16, but the next time they are home to Tech? (Though I just read a Post piece on tarpon fishermen and the bribes being demanded, in an out. Seems the sins of the Batista regime did not die with Castro.)

Castro's not dead.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
This stadium (mostly used for soccer/futbol) is much cooler looking than the other venue (Croke park, used for Gaelic football) they were originally considering.
Wow that us a beautiful venue...should be a great trip and show well on television...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Is it too much to hope, just too much, that Russell will spot a dazzling venue and even more dazzling matchup in a dazzling TV game, and dazzle us with uniforms for that game? Just once? Or is the same person who once designed Air Force fatigues, for which ugly would have been an improvement, now working for Russell?

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Is it too much to hope, just too much, that Russell will spot a dazzling venue and even more dazzling matchup in a dazzling TV game, and dazzle us with uniforms for that game? Just once? Or is the same person who once designed Air Force fatigues, for which ugly would have been an improvement, now working for Russell?

Mods - please remove this post. :rolleyes:

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Does anyone know of a good hotel to stay at, one that would be close to the stadium.?
Stayed at a hostel above the temple bar the last time I was in Dublin. I guess that is about 2 miles away from the stadium, and it was a pretty centralized location to everything else in the city. However, I think I'll be staying in an actual hotel this time around as I'm no longer a broke college student.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Stayed at a hostel above the temple bar the last time I was in Dublin. I guess that is about 2 miles away from the stadium, and it was a pretty centralized location to everything else in the city. However, I think I'll be staying in an actual hotel this time around as I'm no longer a broke college student.
Thank you, I'm hoping to stay at a nice hotel if I end up going.

Animal02

Banned
Has anyone researched the travel packages GT is offering? Wondering for price if accommodations and tours are a good deal or not.
If you want premium everthing and no flexibility. :oops:. Ireland is an easy place to travel on your own. My suggestion is go two weeks early, get a rental car and a package of B&B vouchers, and get hotel reservations for the weekend in Dublin. Driving on the wrong side of the road is no big deal. Castle ruins are considered public so there is access into farmers fields if you see one you want to explore. The country is small enough you can be anywhere in a few hours. Make a big loop around the country.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Has anyone researched the travel packages GT is offering? Wondering for price if accommodations and tours are a good deal or not.

Like @Animal02 says, get a car and do your own thing. I really dislike travel packages where you travel in a group since other people tend to go slow or want to ship or do other things than my wife and I would like to do (walk several miles between meals and tour). If we find a place that looks good, it is really nice to just stop and have a carafe of wine. But package deals are really good if you want someone to take care of most things for you. I like researching areas and figuring things out so the preparation is enjoyable to me.

When my wife and I have traveled in Italy and France, we use the trains since the system is so good and we like staying in smaller cities like Sienna. I don't think the trains would be as good for Ireland as it is so rural so I'd get a car. We book hotels / B&Bs in advance from http://www.hotels.com/search.do?res...rooms=1&q-room-0-adults=2&q-room-0-children=0

Generally we will book and pay well in advance and get really great rates. It has worked out since we haven't had to skip places we booked. The most important thing is to carefully read the reviews and make sure you are comfortable with the level of amenities and also that the reviews appear to be from real customers. Once we get to an area, we like to ask at the hotel for local food recommendations.

Animal02

Banned
Like @Animal02 says, get a car and do your own thing. I really dislike travel packages where you travel in a group since other people tend to go slow or want to ship or do other things than my wife and I would like to do (walk several miles between meals and tour). If we find a place that looks good, it is really nice to just stop and have a carafe of wine. But package deals are really good if you want someone to take care of most things for you. I like researching areas and figuring things out so the preparation is enjoyable to me.

When my wife and I have traveled in Italy and France, we use the trains since the system is so good and we like staying in smaller cities like Sienna. I don't think the trains would be as good for Ireland as it is so rural so I'd get a car. We book hotels / B&Bs in advance from http://www.hotels.com/search.do?resolved-location=CITY:691513:UNKNOWN:UNKNOWN&destination-id=691513&q-destination=Dublin, Ireland&q-localised-check-in=09/01/15&q-localised-check-out=09/02/15&q-rooms=1&q-room-0-adults=2&q-room-0-children=0

Generally we will book and pay well in advance and get really great rates. It has worked out since we haven't had to skip places we booked. The most important thing is to carefully read the reviews and make sure you are comfortable with the level of amenities and also that the reviews appear to be from real customers. Once we get to an area, we like to ask at the hotel for local food recommendations.

Package deals are good when traveling in areas that language and safety can be an issue (Did the package in Egypt, Peru, and China) I agree about the trains in mainland Europe. Did a rental care in Jordan and Romania as well as Ireland. Of all the places I traveled, the people of Ireland were the most friendly and welcoming.........except for the waitress that admonished me for ordering a Guiness in Kinsale........Murohy's was the only thing to order in County Cork. :cautious: