GT @ UL Mon 2/1 ACCN

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thought I’d start this off since this game is basically 24 hours away.

I’m a bit concerned about this game. I think with normal scheduling we beat them.

Louisville’s last game was Wednesday and they don’t have to travel. We have 1 day of rest and are traveling to them. On top of that with our thin rotation I’m worried about our guys running out of gas. We were 2 minutes shy of 3 guys playing all 40 minutes, which we have happen a decent amount but this quick turn around will be rough. Gonna need some solid performance from our bench on this one I think.

That being said, I do think we are the better team.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm concerned as well. More so about our guys having legs during the last 10 minutes of that game. Our guys played a ton of minutes against FSU. They have less than 48 hour turnaround and have to travel. Howard got about 5 minutes against FSU and did not look terrible. Maybe he can give us a few to help buy Moses a few minutes rest in the second half.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
In addition IMHO this will be a really hard matchup for Jose. Jones is almost the mirror image of a quick tough gritty and good guard. Hate that Jose has to do this on limited rest.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
1st team All-ACC guard competition tomorrow, imo, between Alvarado and Carlik Jones.

Jones had more pre-season and early season pub, but the stats seem to favor Jose now (and 2.9 steals/game is absurd).

Alvarado
1612112281995.png

Jones
1612112306028.png

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Louisville is talented, nationally ranked, well coached, and playing at home on good rest.

Let's go get a road win at the KFC Yum! Center (what a goofy name for an arena).

/

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Gonna need a big day from Sturdivant, Howard, and Saba tomorrow for this win. We should be able to tell early on if the defensive energy is there on < 48 hours rest. It'll be tough but I won't be too upset with the outcome either way after the gritty performance yesterday. I wanted 2-3 during this Clem/UVa/Duke/FSU/UL stretch. 3-2 would just be icing on an already beautiful cake.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If we can't win 2 games in 2 days, do we need to be in the tourney? This is a good time to test our short bench.
I had a similar thought though not as extreme. This is a NCAAT turnaround.

But there are major differences: 1) our opponent doesn’t have the same turnaround nor 2) travel requirement. They’ll have been planning for us for 4-5 days and we are playing on their home court.

Basically, this is a harder turn than the NCAAT and the timing factor says little about our readiness for the Big Dance.

Deleted member 2897

If we can't win 2 games in 2 days, do we need to be in the tourney? This is a good time to test our short bench.

Playing 2 ranked teams back to back in the tournament would be at the earliest in the sweet sixteen round. I’ll be fine with that arrangement then. Not now. Furthermore, the teams you play against then haven’t had rest either.

We should be 10 point underdogs on the road with this scheduling. Let’s just scrap and find a way to steal one.

I had a similar thought though not as extreme. This is a NCAAT turnaround.

But there are major differences: 1) our opponent doesn’t have the same turnaround nor 2) travel requirement. They’ll have been planning for us for 4-5 days and we are playing on their home court.

Basically, this is a harder turn than the NCAAT and the timing factor says little about our readiness for the Big Dance.

My comment was more about what we can do with only 7-8 players on 1 day rest in the tourney and less about what Louisville can do on more rest. We'll still have to play the same guys on almost exactly the same rest. I think it's still a good gauge.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'll say it again...close losses don't get you into the Dance. Winning one game at home against a ranked team doesn't cut it. And our start to the season gives us precious little room for sliding.

We need to win some games....like 8 out of the next 10 or so, to feel good about things. If we lose the next two, I think we are in deep, deep trouble.