GT @ UL Mon 2/1 ACCN

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
They will have to. Alvarado, Wright, and Devoe aren't playing 40 minutes today.
This makes me think if you take UL 1st half spread it hits with ease. I can see Pastner pulling a couple key guys with 3 minutes left in the first half to "manage the load" for the guys. UL -2 first half should be a lock. We may come out hot, then slow down as the FSU game and travel creeps up on us. 2nd half we need to come out swinging. Hopefully we have some of MJs secret stuff for the 2nd half (Space Jam reference) and we can hit them in the mouth with a 10-0 run.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The match up between Jose and Jones will be an interesting one. Jones is a hell of a player and his transition to ACC play has been smooth as could possibly be hoped for. It'll be interesting to see how he does against both Jose's defense individually, and our team defense as a whole.

Overall, I don't have a great feel for how good UL is. They've beaten Duke and VT, but lost to Miami and Clemson on the road. They got absolutely destroyed by Wisconsin in a game that Jones missed. They also were handled by FSU fairly easily in a similar situation to what we have now (Sat game into Mon game).

If we keep Jones in control I think we should win. That being said, fatigue can certainly play an issue as we haven't really shot all that well lately. Maybe we're due.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I am completely fine with Moses taking a couple of 3s a game if he is open. He is actually our 4th best shooter percentage wise (35%) ahead of guys like Parham and Moore and right behind Usher. I don't want him taking bad shots but if he can continue hitting at a 35% clip I don't mind a few wide open.

Deleted member 2897

SOLID quote from the UL 247 forum.

"Perhaps the Wizzanator? Seriously, this will be one of the better teams we've beat this year if we can beat GT.".

Its true. Their 'good wins' are beating a decent VT by 2 points at home and beating a decent Duke team by 5 points at home. That's it. They don't have any signature wins yet. They're absolutely a good team, but nobody knows how good or not yet.

slugboy

Staff member
The match up between Jose and Jones will be an interesting one. Jones is a hell of a player and his transition to ACC play has been smooth as could possibly be hoped for. It'll be interesting to see how he does against both Jose's defense individually, and our team defense as a whole.

Overall, I don't have a great feel for how good UL is. They've beaten Duke and VT, but lost to Miami and Clemson on the road. They got absolutely destroyed by Wisconsin in a game that Jones missed. They also were handled by FSU fairly easily in a similar situation to what we have now (Sat game into Mon game).

If we keep Jones in control I think we should win. That being said, fatigue can certainly play an issue as we haven't really shot all that well lately. Maybe we're due.
Wisconsin is top 15 in the polls, KenPom, and top 20 in Net, and they were ranked higher. It’s not a good look to get destroyed, but it wasn’t against a nobody.
I guess it was good they didn’t play Baylor or Gonzaga.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That's in this thread somewhere that the Women's game is scheduled for 7pm
I guess the men’s games have the same number of fans at them these days. There is tv though. I guarantee there would be more eyeballs watching the spurtle commercial with the men’s game on than the women’s game. ACCN needed to flex their muscle!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Wisconsin is top 15 in the polls, KenPom, and top 20 in Net, and they were ranked higher. It’s not a good look to get destroyed, but it wasn’t against a nobody.
I guess it was good they didn’t play Baylor or Gonzaga.

Even a solid loss, 10-15 wouldn't really raise an eyebrow from me. They lost by 37 though. They had 8 assists to 18 turnovers. My main point about that was how much they lean on Jones it looks like.

That would be the big if.

He is 20% for his career from 3.

I mean, talking about career numbers for Moses Wright is a bit silly.

He shouldn't be hunting for 3s (and hasn't) but he has the range to hit them and even if he hits them at a 30% clip it's probably worth it for him to take one or two a game to help keep defenders honest.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'll post this here because of the matchup today.

Gauntlet has been thrown. Anonymous quotes for teams around the country. Since it's a paid subscription, I won't paste the write up for GT and UL, but I'll paraphrase:

GT: Tricky defense, Jose + Devoe most underrated guard tandem in ACC, short bench. (Nothing new there)

UL: Jones + Johnson are best guard tandem in ACC, Bigs are average, and overall talent not as good as in the past.

So watch the guard matchup today. It will be key. My money is on Jose and Devoe.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hope Bubba can guard Jones for at least some time each half to give Jose a break. As much energy/emotion as he left on the floor with FSU I would love to see him not have to go one on one with Jones all day long.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Facts are rarely silly.

Anyone who watches Moses shoot a three point shot and not think that should occur only when WIDE open and rarely is probably silly.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
A bit of a blessing in disguise is that Bubba can probably go all 40 mins today. I still believe Kyle can play a few more minutes to help Jose and Devoe today than what Pastner does. Too bad we don’t have a Maxwell or Meka who could give us some hustle minutes.

These guys all played AAU basketball. They have to be use to playing multiple games a day, weekend.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
A bit of a blessing in disguise is that Bubba can probably go all 40 mins today. I still believe Kyle can play a few more minutes to help Jose and Devoe today than what Pastner does. Too bad we don’t have a Maxwell or Meka who could give us some hustle minutes.

These guys all played AAU basketball. They have to be use to playing multiple games a day, weekend.

I keep seeing this analogy and it really doesn't work compared to NCAA games. Even high end AAU tournaments are divided so the first couple of games are in pods against lower competition where the stars float and the bench plays a lot. There are then a couple of crossover games against similar competition but the games are still no where near as intense as an ACC game. So in a weekend the teams play a couple of hard games but no where near ACC level intensity. Especially GT/FSU level intensity.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Couple of things, as I get caught back up on the thread:

1) True story, some of you may recall over the holidays I was watching GT Men's BBall with my B-i-L who is a Dartmouth alum. Never really had a real NCAA Basketball team to cheer for, then his wife (my S-i-L) went to UVA so he was starting to follow them. After watching a few of our games, and hearing the back story on guys like Moses and Jose he has become a GT Fan. In honor of this I purchased a Spurtle for him (kinda jokingly as we kept seeing those adverts, well I am hear to tell you he says it is a workhorse in the Kitchen, and calls it the "Alvarado of meal prep" @LibertyTurns

@TheSwarmWritLarge I have made my annoyance with two guys who are warriors for us (Devoe and Moses) when they play eachother's game. Moses should rarely be a catch and shoot from distance guy, and Devoe shouldn't be working the post / trying to take anyone other than a guard off the dribble, BUT they do both have to do some of that to keep the lanes open and the style of O we have been playing this year going. I will be the first to admit, I sometimes get lost to my enthusiasm for the team and the guys and voice frustration when I, in my uninformed non-coach status, deign it to be too frequently.

@Techster yeah, agreed, I hope someone makes sure Jose sees that they are the better tandem.. As the great MJ once said..

giphy-40-1589810118.gif