GT Taxpayer Money Story

Deleted member 2897

If it’s in a year or two, not good. Who wants to bet it’s over a decade or more? I’m going to guess it goes back close to 2000. If anywhere close to that, it’s a non-story and journalism malpractice.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
If it’s in a year or two, not good. Who wants to bet it’s over a decade or more? I’m going to guess it goes back close to 2000. If anywhere close to that, it’s a non-story and journalism malpractice.
Article says over two years. Also, doesn’t really matter. No institution funds can pay for food unless it is a business oriented meeting...unless GTRI somehow doesn’t follow same BOR policy.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What's the difference between this and paying a rapper (giving him condoms too) to perform at the halftime of a football game?

LibertyTurns

Banned
There’s 14k employees so this comes to a whopping $35/yr in morale boosting efforts.

I guess when you compare this to a $5 value meal it’s a HUGE deal.

This mutt homer needs to spend more time dumpster diving if he wants to crack a big expose.

Deleted member 2897

There’s 14k employees so this comes to a whopping $35/yr in morale boosting efforts.

This mutt homer needs to spend more time dumpster diving if he wants to crack a big expose.

Over 2 years. So that s $17.50 per year. So if they give an employee a $20 gift card to Starbucks for a Christmas present it’s scandalous.

Dwag humpers suck at math.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
GT has been doing an annual trip to six flags in the first few weeks and the aquarium every year in the spring through student activity fees given to the Student Government Association, which gives money to SCPC (a tier 2 organization, which means they more or less get a lump sum at the begining of the year IIRC). If that is what its going towards, its most definitely over a ton of years, as it happened all 5 i was at tech.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer

That's if it was for all employees & not a small pool of employees & their families. Don't have all the details yet.
City of Atlanta and ugly shirt contest etc.......?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
More BoR Whining, AUC blaming, not knowing the difference between an athletic assn & university funding crap.

This is a continuing problem at GT (IF, I realize, true) But we have had previous HillNerds go to jail, IIRC, and fired for stealing taxpayer money by abusing state credit cards. And no way to minimize this by playing the whiny azz "why is everyone picking on me" childish game.

I don't care how much per person it cost. These bastards are government employees and do not have a right to spend taxpayer $ in a frivolous way, GT or not.

Perfect example of an elitist attitude that hurts GT. Some GT people are so smart they don't know to wipe their azz.

IF guilty, I hope they are fired or jailed.

And this hurts GT to everyone that only wants to whine about it.

Deleted member 2897

IF guilty, I hope they are fired or jailed.

Guilty of what? Looking at their revenue, it looks like they spend (if they spend $500k/year every year) 0.1% of their revenue on employee benefits. If you send an employee and their spouse to Six Flags and cover their food cost, that's likely the average $100/employee right there. ($1 million over 2 years divided by 2,000 GTRI employees.) If they pay for the whole family, its even more. I don't know all the details, and 1 million dollars sounds terrible...but I'll be interested to see what it entails.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It is designated as taxpayer funds, iiuc. Meaning they shouldn't do it.
If GTRI wants to build that cost into the billings they charge companies to entertain, then add a "fee" (kind of like the fees section for classes) a nd use those funds to the entertainment.

Deleted member 2897

It is designated as taxpayer funds, iiuc. Meaning they shouldn't do it.
If GTRI wants to build that cost into the billings they charge companies to entertain, then add a "fee" (kind of like the fees section for classes) a nd use those funds to the entertainment.

That sounds odd to me. If I wanted to contract a company, I just want to pay a $/hour rate. Don’t charge me other fees to cover entertainment or I’ll just try to negotiate those away.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That sounds odd to me. If I wanted to contract a company, I just want to pay a $/hour rate. Don’t charge me other fees to cover entertainment or I’ll just try to negotiate those away.
Obviously has never been involved in an open kimono moment.

Deleted member 2897

Obviously has never been involved in an open kimono moment.

Hahahahaha!

I worked for a company before who had only 1 customer. (Toyota). We negotiated margins and SG&A percentages they thought were fair. If I had gone in there and started listing all our company outings and everything that was inside that stuff...that’s just asking for pushback. I dunno, just my opinion...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Exactly! (too bad students cant' do that for some of the ridiculous fees that they are charged) I.e. it wouldn't fly. That's one of the reasons why companies that bill the government (defense contractors know this) have to show the number of hours employees spend on projects.