GT @ Syracuse 2/28/23 GAME THREAD

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
@CuseJacket and @Connell62 it is now clear that Syracuse does not play that zone with anything close to the same skill as past teams. But we are playing much better basketball now that Pastner is sticking with the guys who can play. 27 assists is just cruel.

I know something changed mentally with these guys, but how many triple doubles has any GT player ever recorded? Miles with 30? Three players with 20+? What did Pastner say that finally clicked with these guys?

I mean, it could just be that it took time for things to click. Coleman, Kelly, and Moore are true sophs, while Terry and Franklin are new faces. Ideally we'd have had Sturdivant and Howard who are in year 3 lead us early while they adjusted but that didn't happen. Sucks that it took so long, but we return, or plan to return, everyone but Franklin so the last month of play bodes well for that, and the year beyond we'll still have Kelly, Coleman, Moore, and Smith. In some ways this kind of reminds me of 19-20 where we started bad, 8-11 (3-6) before going on a run of 9-3 (one was Morehouse) to close out the year which was a good sign for the following year where we returned everyone except Banks. Of course that year also had Jose being injured early and Usher joining midway, and the turn around started earlier, but that "core" was juniors of Jose, Moses and Ush along with one soph in Mike, while a big group of our core this year are sophs (Kelly, Coleman, Moore, Smith) so perhaps we're getting that momentum going earlier. Whether we build on it is still to be shown, but the last month at least should give us hope for the next couple years.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Good win tonight and nice to see several guys have really nice games. I would temper my enthusiasm a tad given that Syracuse is 3-7 over their last 10 and they've gotten blown out of their last four games in a row. I think in addition to Tech playing much better the Cuse kids have given up, packed it in and are looking to the portal.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
they want him to keep his job.
Unfortunately, this late season run may have saved his job. Final call should depend on his ability to convince guys to stay and get some solid transfers. Only HS commit I’ve heard of is Blue Cain - hopefully we get a few more.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Welp, Jackets had a game tonite. Lemme just stroll into the postgame thread. See how it went....

austin powers film GIF

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone know where Devion Smith is?

Didn’t see Howard, Maxwell and Meka wasn’t dressed out.

Any info on smith would be great cause we will need depth to make any kind of ACC run…

JacketMicMan

Georgia Tech Fan
Unfortunately, this late season run may have saved his job. Final call should depend on his ability to convince guys to stay and get some solid transfers. Only HS commit I’ve heard of is Blue Cain - hopefully we get a few more.
With only Franklin and Boyd on senior night, how many open scholarships do we have. blue takes Franklin’s ship and ?

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I may be hallucinating. I've never quite seen anything like this. If it was a division 2 team it might make sense. I feel sorry for Syracuse, my father's hometown. Praise to all of the Tech players who played way above their stats. Afraid to wake up tomorrow morning...all will be back to reality.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
With only Franklin and Boyd on senior night, how many open scholarships do we have. blue takes Franklin’s ship and ?

We currently have one open spot.

I imagine that number will go to at least 3 and maybe 4. Ideally, we'd have a couple guys we've kept warm and once the openings come up we can make offers to fill the spots. But we need to keep at least one open to go look int the portal.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer

Any info on smith would be great cause we will need depth to make any kind of ACC run…
Smith is out with an ankle injury so makes sense he’s not traveling. I’m not sure about the other guys but I have noticed our bench has looked awfully thin the last few games just from an optics standpoint.

Regardless, I think Smith and Moore are the only two outside of the starting five who may play again, barring a blow out. And I’m not even sure they’ll play much (if at all).

jdcroft2001

Georgia Tech Fan
A few thoughts about the game…

The game is much easier when you make shots and play decent defense.

Javon Franklin was the most athletic guy on the court.

Deebo is much bigger in person. Needs to learn how to showcase that and bully defenders down low. His 3 point percentage will go up if he does.

Miles and Deebo were kind enough to give the obligatory “what’s up” to the only Tech fans in attendance. And Miles with “thanks for coming” after his post game interview.

Josh Pastner is almost as fun to watch as the players.

Lastly, we will definitely be at the game in Syracuse next year.

jdcroft2001

Georgia Tech Fan

Didn’t see Devion Smith, Tristan Maxwell or Rodney Howard on the bench tonight.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
So I admittedly didn’t watch this. And when I heard we made 18 three I thought man that’s amazing. Then I looked and we were 18-40 from 3.

We attempted 40 three point shots in a game? Yikes. I’m glad we were on tonight!
I think that had a lot to do with Syracuse’s zone. Fortunately, we were hitting them tonight. Fun game to watch!