GT @ Syracuse 2/28/23 GAME THREAD

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Something tells me that Cuse is packing it in for the season. They've gotten boat raced in their last three games.

Duke 77 Cuse 55
Clemson 91 - Cuse 73
Pittsburgh 92 - Cuse 89

Their zone D has been getting exploited. If we can keep Girard in check, there is absolutely no reason that we cannot beat Syracuse.

Especially if we can shoot it a decent clip from outside like we have the past few games. Let's put it this way, I am far more concerned about BC than Cuse.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Something tells me that Cuse is packing it in for the season. They've gotten boat raced in their last three games.

Duke 77 Cuse 55
Clemson 91 - Cuse 73
Pittsburgh 92 - Cuse 89

Their zone D has been getting exploited. If we can keep Girard in check, there is absolutely no reason that we cannot beat Syracuse.

Especially if we can shoot it a decent clip from outside like we have the past few games. Let's put it this way, I am far more concerned about BC than Cuse.

After looking at the box score, I think that all three teams just played poised and moved the ball against the zone. Pitt had 27 assists on 32 made baskets.

Duke did shoot 13/26 (50%) from 3, and it is hard to beat any team that shoots that high of % on that many attempts, but they still had 22 assists.

Same story with Clemson (28 assists). Poise and understanding where the ball needs to go (and when) against the zone is huge.

It will be interesting to see how far our team's mental game has come since the last time we played them.

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Saturday Night Live Nbc GIF by HULU

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
Tech has their best game of the season tomorrow night. Even better than the Miami game. Why? Pastner is playing for something. The cuse isn't.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse is bad. Girard can shoot, but that’s it. Edwards is ok, but not great. Mintz is really good, but he has to carry the load. That’s about it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Syracuse is bad. Girard can shoot, but that’s it. Edwards is ok, but not great. Mintz is really good, but he has to carry the load. That’s about it.
Pretty accurate. I'd say Edwards is pretty good though, especially defensively, and it would be a shame if he's not 2nd or 3rd team All-ACC. Offensively nearly every team goes straight to the double-team on him. That includes Duke, who threw two 7-footers at him.

Defensive game plan is basically the same from most teams. Double Edwards. Face guard Girard. That means you're spreading the floor and creating driving lanes for Mintz, but that's a tradeoff most teams accept. Cuse's 5 forwards are still enigmas (4 frosh, 1 soph).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
After looking at the box score, I think that all three teams just played poised and moved the ball against the zone. Pitt had 27 assists on 32 made baskets.

Duke did shoot 13/26 (50%) from 3, and it is hard to beat any team that shoots that high of % on that many attempts, but they still had 22 assists.

Same story with Clemson (28 assists). Poise and understanding where the ball needs to go (and when) against the zone is huge.

It will be interesting to see how far our team's mental game has come since the last time we played them.
The 'Cuse zone is bad. If it weren't for Edwards, it'd probably be historically bad. Girard is small and slow, diminishing the "long, lanky" reputation of years past where passing lanes were nonexistent. The forwards are 4 true frosh and 1 true soph. Boeheim is reaping what he sowed there.

One thing to note is that most teams have inflated assist numbers against 'Cuse and the zone. The reason is that most scoring opportunities are off a pass, whereas against man you can produce more off of dribble-drive/iso opportunities. We've seen this in our box scores in years past.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The 'Cuse zone is bad. If it weren't for Edwards, it'd probably be historically bad. Girard is small and slow, diminishing the "long, lanky" reputation of years past where passing lanes were nonexistent. The forwards are 4 true frosh and 1 true soph. Boeheim is reaping what he sowed there.

One thing to note is that most teams have inflated assist numbers against 'Cuse and the zone. The reason is that most scoring opportunities are off a pass, whereas against man you can produce more off of dribble-drive/iso opportunities. We've seen this in our box scores in years past.
All that aside, Cuse has two winnable games at home to finish the regular season above .500. A win in the ACCT and they have a decent season with the NIT ahead of them. I believe we can beat them if we continue our good play, but less than that will not be enough.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All that aside, Cuse has two winnable games at home to finish the regular season above .500. A win in the ACCT and they have a decent season with the NIT ahead of them. I believe we can beat them if we continue our good play, but less than that will not be enough.
You would have to ask @CuseJacket to confirm, but by Cuse standards, I do not believe that is considered a decent season.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You would have to ask @CuseJacket to confirm, but by Cuse standards, I do not believe that is considered a decent season.
I think most of us have memories of the great Cuse teams of old. But, that memory is not the current Cuse normal. They made a nice run in the 2021 NCAAT when many questioned whether they deserved an invite with a 16-9 record. Maybe @CuseJacket will disagree, but this year is not unlike the last several. With two wins this week they would be 18-11. I think that qualifies as decent season.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Tech has their best game of the season tomorrow night. Even better than the Miami game. Why? Pastner is playing for something. The cuse isn't.
I get the feeling that it's gonna be close like last year's game up there. Idk if we win but we should be able to compete with them.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Pulled this over to a more appropriate thread.

100%
I think most of us have memories of the great Cuse teams of old. But, that memory is not the current Cuse normal. They made a nice run in the 2021 NCAAT when many questioned whether they deserved an invite with a 16-9 record. Maybe @CuseJacket will disagree, but this year is not unlike the last several. With two wins this week they would be 18-11. I think that qualifies as decent season.
Yea, gotta disagree vehemently. This season is not close to 'decent' by any 'Cuse fan's standards. 80's, 90's, 00's and at least half of '10's they were among the top 10-15 programs in the country on average. Can slice it by final fours, tournament seeding, rankings, wins, etc.

You are correct in contextualizing this season around the downward trend the last 5-7 years. No one is content with that though just because it's more of the same. Outside of Duke, UNC, and Louisville, I don't think there's a program with higher expectations of their program in general in the ACC. There might be a tie with UVA due to recent success with Bennett, but expectations are certainly higher than FSU/Miami who have only been relevant in the last 5-7 years, imo.

'Cuse is still top 4 in the country in attendance, which in and of itself is a downward trend, but shows the level of support and in some ways the level of expectations.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I go back to the Jimmy Lee(Kirkwood in Broome County) & Rudy Hackett days, in which this would not be a season Jim B. wants to remember.

jdcroft2001

Georgia Tech Fan
I am a lurking GT fan in upstate New York. My son and I are going to this game tonight. It is his first college basketball game.

This has been a rough season, no doubt, but the team seems to finally be playing up to their potential. Hoping for a blowout, expecting tight competition, praying not to be buried.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I am a lurking GT fan in upstate New York. My son and I are going to this game tonight. It is his first college basketball game.

This has been a rough season, no doubt, but the team seems to finally be playing up to their potential. Hoping for a blowout, expecting tight competition, praying not to be buried.
Hope he has a great time! We know you will teach him right. Please post more.

Signed,
Born in Binghamton and memorable Summertimes spent in the Upstate.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Hope he has a great time! We know you will teach him right. Please post more.

Signed,
Born in Binghamton and memorable Summertimes spent in the Upstate.
LOL on "Upstate" from Binghamton. I guess it depends on your reference point. My father was born and raised in Brooklyn. His siblings eventually set roots in Staten Island, Queens, and New Jersey, while he settled in the summer house my Grandfather built in "upstate" New York in Westchester County... My cousins have considered Westchester County "upstate" since I've been alive...

I, on the other hand, attended college in Oneonta, NY (my father went to Union College in Schenectady), and my mom's family lives in the Potsdam area, which is basically South Canada... So I do have an idea of what Upstate NY is, versus my cousins that think that the 1.5 hour drive from Staten Island to Westchester County is "upstate"... I guess it's all relative...