GT Ranked 48th in Preseason SP+ Projections

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Nothing to do with the schedule? Win 3 games again and the talk will be about nothing but the schedule. If you are just going to measure how good the team is then I am gullible but show me. Right now, I don't think we are a very good football team but more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I put Tech in the bottom third until shown otherwise.
I need this team to do three things next year, and IMO it's a very low bar:
1) Play 3 consistently "improving" ( admittedly subjective ) games in a row - only one of which can be coming off a bye week- not a COVID schedule.
2) Reduce penalties by a " noticeable" ( again subjective ) amount over the last 2 years.
3) Spring a mild upset.
If only those three things are done, I will feel better. Not good, but better.

LibertyTurns

Banned
So, for clarification, the 3O wasn't designed to score? I trying to determine if you really believe that or if you're just trolling with this line...
The change in regimes was dictated by CPJ’s retirement. We hired a coach to take the program in a completely different direction. What has been communicated is:

A. We’re going to run a high powered NFL style offense. I’m sure it’s not because we wanted to score less points. We believe it’s a superior scheme. You wouldn‘t purposefully select an inferior scheme would you?
B. Migrating from the old less effective offense to this new stye would help us recruit at an elite level. Ostensibly to have better players executing a better offense to yield better results.
C. We increased staff levels to compete as well.
D. The new scheme is coupled with better coaches. We’ve upgraded at every position except maybe 1, the jury is out, but across the board they’re superior.
E. We’re marketing like nothing we’ve seen before.

Amazing to me we’ve got such low expectations from our fanbase. Imagine what the competition is saying about us.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The change in regimes was dictated by CPJ’s retirement. We hired a coach to take the program in a completely different direction. What has been communicated is:

A. We’re going to run a high powered NFL style offense. I’m sure it’s not because we wanted to score less points. We believe it’s a superior scheme. You wouldn‘t purposefully select an inferior scheme would you?
B. Migrating from the old less effective offense to this new stye would help us recruit at an elite level. Ostensibly to have better players executing a better offense to yield better results.
C. We increased staff levels to compete as well.
D. The new scheme is coupled with better coaches. We’ve upgraded at every position except maybe 1, the jury is out, but across the board they’re superior.
E. We’re marketing like nothing we’ve seen before.

Amazing to me we’ve got such low expectations from our fanbase. Imagine what the competition is saying about us.

That's a whole lot of words to not answer the question...

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The old scheme was clearly not designed to score nearly as much. It would be crazy to go from a higher scoring scheme to a lower scoring one, right?
Well I assume you're talking about the tempo increase that allows us to potentially score more per game, but there's a flip side to that. It also opens you up to getting scored on more per game when you're defense is not that good (see Clemson and other games).

Any offense can work as long as the coaching is good enough and the last offense was pretty dang good to elite. Anyone who says otherwise just didn't like the style points imo.

That's not to say we can't match the production with the new offense, we just need to now compete for players that can execute at a high level in an offense that many more people run, or bring in some stud offensive coaches who can develope players into effective executors of the scheme they want to run. We still don't know what we have yet with regards to anything.

I share your sentiment that this coming season we have enough to put a much better product than what we have seen the first two years. I don't think anyone should settle for less than 6 wins (still nothing to get crazy about) but 6 wins would at least show progress.

The old scheme was clearly not designed to score nearly as much. It would be crazy to go from a higher scoring scheme to a lower scoring one, right?
But that is exactly what we did. CPJ averaged over 30 points per game. Gailey 19 and Collins is right at that 19 point. The point about limiting possessions is more important. CPJs scheme puts more pressure on the opposing offense.

LibertyTurns

Banned
But that is exactly what we did. CPJ averaged over 30 points per game. Gailey 19 and Collins is right at that 19 point. The point about limiting possessions is more important. CPJs scheme puts more pressure on the opposing offense.
We’re scoring less because of Goober not the scheme. The faster we figure that out the better.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I need this team to do three things next year, and IMO it's a very low bar:
1) Play 3 consistently "improving" ( admittedly subjective ) games in a row - only one of which can be coming off a bye week- not a COVID schedule.
2) Reduce penalties by a " noticeable" ( again subjective ) amount over the last 2 years.
3) Spring a mild upset.
If only those three things are done, I will feel better. Not good, but better.
Seems reasonable...bet they can't do it. Hope you feel better.

TheNaturalScientist

Jolly Good Fellow
What do you consider unacceptable?
Regressing or staying the same. There was huge progression in 2020 compared to 2019. However, that did not translate to more wins due to Covid. So, if there is more progress in 2021 we should win more games. 4>3. However, 4 isn’t good enough, we need to be competitive in each and every game which I mentioned in my post above. If we continue to get better then I can see us winning 8-10 games in a couple of seasons. We just haven’t been there in the trenches imo

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

There go the goal posts. You've successfully moved them. Your statement was that it wasn't designed to score. You called it "sandlot."

It wasn't hurry up high tempo, but it was in fact, designed to score, and could be quite explosive when executed correctly. If you want to debate offenses, you should probably have a better understanding of the one you are trying to denigrate before you post nonsense like this...

And currently, CGCs scheme isn't outscoring CPJs, so is that crazy by your definition?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Regressing or staying the same. There was huge progression in 2020 compared to 2019. However, that did not translate to more wins due to Covid. So, if there is more progress in 2021 we should win more games. 4>3. However, 4 isn’t good enough, we need to be competitive in each and every game which I mentioned in my post above. If we continue to get better then I can see us winning 8-10 games in a couple of seasons. We just haven’t been there in the trenches imo
I agree with you. I think there are more than enough pieces in place to call next season's floor 6 wins.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
There go the goal posts. You've successfully moved them. Your statement was that it wasn't designed to score. You called it "sandlot."

It wasn't hurry up high tempo, but it was in fact, designed to score, and could be quite explosive when executed correctly. If you want to debate offenses, you should probably have a better understanding of the one you are trying to denigrate before you post nonsense like this...

And currently, CGCs scheme isn't outscoring CPJs, so is that crazy by your definition?
Paul Johnson's offense is designed to make first downs and score TDs in goal to go. NFL offenses are designed to get yards in bunches and kick field goals in goal to go.