GT providing the blueprint

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...s-fsu-faced-offense-oregon-20141210-post.html

I hope this is not a repost but a good article. I know @AE87 would love these stats. I thought this was interesting:

It feels weird writing that the Yellow Jackets field an offense on pace with Oregon’s, but they ranked inside the top 20 nationally in all the aforementioned categories, and did so against considerably better defenses: Oregon’s: Offensive Strength of Schedule is 33rd nationally, Georgia Tech’s is 3rd.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
People see a roster littered with 3 stars and draw their conclusions from there. Actual top results against top defenses....... pffffffffft. What does that matter?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know I am a TECH fan, but I do not believe I have seen a game where I felt I saw an offense better than ours. I was impressed with Oregon vs Arizona, but I still wouldn't place them ahead of us.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think GT's offense is pretty damn good. The only offense I was more impressed with was a locked in Winston at FSU. It funny I dont even think we maximized our explosiveness.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Oregon’s Offensive Strength of Schedule is 33rd nationally, Georgia Tech’s is 3rd

Wow. I knew we faced some good defenses, but I didn't appreciate that we faced a lot of good defenses. Here's the top 25:

1. Clemson - W
2. Virginia Tech - W
7. Virginia - W
10. Mississippi State - ???
17. Florida State - L
21. Georgia - W

I wish we had Smelter and Zenon come New Years Eve, but damn our guys are doing work out there.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Oregon is the media darling in college football and Mariota deserves to win the Heisman Trophy and most certainly will. That being said, FSU will beat the ducks for a few reasons, most notably whenever Oregon has been in a tough game the past several years they have lost. They are what is referred to as a front runner but not battle tested. Arizona and Stanford have proven that the past couple of years.

Probably the best quote in the past twenty-five years came from Mike Tyson before a fight when the media was telling him that his opponent had figured out a "blue print" to beat him: "everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth."

While Winston is not a very popular person off the field, find me a better clutch QB on the field. FSU has been hit in the mouth plenty this season and has come back in every game to win. That is impressive. Oregon will have difficulty against the speed of FSU and if Winston keeps his focus as he showed aginst GT last week, then the Seminoles will advance. like them or not.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Oregon's D is much better than ours. Their O is not as unpredictable.
I expect more drives & more stops. I can see it close or a blowout either way.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Had a lady today who is basically a Georgia fan by default, never watched much football and her husband is diehard uga. She said this year is the first year she has ever watched tech play a game. It was against FSU, she said " I love yalls offense, how fast it moves and everything. I really enjoyed watching them." The point is the spread option can be just as entertaining as Oregon's when run correctly. I actually think that if we keep developing QBs as true options QBs, the spread option is the most effective offense in the country also. Most games you might average 5-6 yards per play and look like a juggernaut moving up and down the field scoring several points. Then games where the other team is getting the best of you, the nature of the offense still gets you positive yards and eats clock keeping you in the game. Unlike when Oregon has a bad day on offense its alot of quick 3 and outs and a long day for them.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Oregon's problem is the PAC 12 problem: they have simply forgotten how to play D out there. There is two decent Ds in the entire conference - Stanford and (I'm being generous here) Arizona. I don't blame them. Ever since Brooks and McKay retired, there hasn't been a single coach out there, except Harbaugh, who pays much attention to D. Result = the good teams out there lose the concentration necessary to play good D against their opponents and tend to depend on their Os to pull their chestnuts out of the fire.

I expect FSU to beat them by anywhere from 7 to 14 points. As I said before, if there's a team in the country that knows how to respond to adversity, it's the Criminoles.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
If F$U whoops Oregon (and I do expect F$U to win a nailbiter), then F$U owes us some crab legs or something.

I don't know about that—@YJAlleyCat and I already had our crab legs, for the ACC championship game. They were tasty—despite the fact that we didn't 'Jameis' them out of the store...

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
Oregon is the media darling in college football and Mariota deserves to win the Heisman Trophy and most certainly will. That being said, FSU will beat the ducks for a few reasons, most notably whenever Oregon has been in a tough game the past several years they have lost. They are what is referred to as a front runner but not battle tested. Arizona and Stanford have proven that the past couple of years.

Probably the best quote in the past twenty-five years came from Mike Tyson before a fight when the media was telling him that his opponent had figured out a "blue print" to beat him: "everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth."

While Winston is not a very popular person off the field, find me a better clutch QB on the field. FSU has been hit in the mouth plenty this season and has come back in every game to win. That is impressive. Oregon will have difficulty against the speed of FSU and if Winston keeps his focus as he showed aginst GT last week, then the Seminoles will advance. like them or not.

I'm pulling for FSU for no other reason than to vindicate the ACC, to vindicate the GT Yellow Jackets, to make our Home game victory over them next year all the more sweeter, and to make all of those pundits eat crow for devaluing a team that has won 29 straight ballgames just because most of those wins were in the ACC. I live for the moment when they say "...and the Seminoles of Florida State pull off the upset over the Ohio State Buckeyes and have extended their streak to 31 victories in a row..."

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Casual college football fans don't consider our offense as prolific as Oregon, Clemson, Auburn, etc. because of the pace at which we play.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Doesnt everyone know the acc is dogsh-- how can u believe these stats and articles. The acc sucks. Period.

Jeez guys.

Its a better league than the pac 12 and not far off from the sec west. Period. People are freaking idiots nationally.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Would take our offense, run well, any day over theirs but if we swapped uniforms, I would be forced to root for them :) All I could think of during the Oregon-Oregon State game was that whoever selected the uniforms should be shot.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Forgot to mention that it has been GREAT to see Tech being mentioned in such a positive light in numerous media pieces lately. This has got to have at least some positive recruiting impact.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Had a lady today who is basically a Georgia fan by default, never watched much football and her husband is diehard uga. She said this year is the first year she has ever watched tech play a game. It was against FSU, she said " I love yalls offense, how fast it moves and everything. I really enjoyed watching them." The point is the spread option can be just as entertaining as Oregon's when run correctly. I actually think that if we keep developing QBs as true options QBs, the spread option is the most effective offense in the country also. Most games you might average 5-6 yards per play and look like a juggernaut moving up and down the field scoring several points. Then games where the other team is getting the best of you, the nature of the offense still gets you positive yards and eats clock keeping you in the game. Unlike when Oregon has a bad day on offense its alot of quick 3 and outs and a long day for them.

I think what makes OUR offense AS difficult, or perhaps MORE difficult, to defend, than those like Oregon, is that we run ours from UNDER CENTER, rather than from the Shotgun, and our B-Back dive play gets downhill so fast that it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the inside defendors to stop that potential run first. This is almost as critical to opening up our outside game and passing game and has defenders heads on swivels as them looking for our cut blocks. THIS is why we control the Time of Possession in most games, and give our Defense a chance to make adjustments and rest on the sidelines.

Also, with our patented "death marches," which eat ToP, it also puts more pressure on opposing Offenses, which can make them more antsy or overly aggressive, and force turnovers, which we've seen more of this season. My point is that our Offense seems to dictate more of the overall game "strategy" than just putting up Offensive "style" points.