GT @ PITT (2/21/2023) GAME THREAD

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You liked his reply, so you can’t say you didn’t see it. Direct response to my qypuestuon about what the issue was with recruiting pre-NIL
You've been around long enough to know that it has been far more than Duke. Saying Like Duke doesn't mean they were the only ones.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
According to the almighty mods, it's because Duke paid players millions and bought them houses. Which is interesting since I can only think of one impact recruit from Atlanta going to Duke in the past 20 or 30 years (Carter). So apparently all those high school kids knew Duke was paying someone else, so they all chose not to go to Tech. At least that's the best "logic" I can glean from their posts
Carter went to Pace Academy. During his years there, Pace had a football team that was unsually successful compared to their decades long record of football mediocrity. I believe their FB coach at the time took recruiting (as is common among private HS's in the Atl area) to a whole different level and hence their success during this coach's stint there. That coach is no longer there and Pace's FB team is regressing to their mean. I believe there was "something in the water" at Pace during the years that Carter was there and their very successful (and unusually so) football team.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Carter went to Pace Academy. During his years there, Pace had a football team that was unsually successful compared to their decades long record of football mediocrity. I believe their FB coach at the time took recruiting (as is common among private HS's in the Atl area) to a whole different level and hence their success during this coach's stint there. That coach is no longer there and Pace's FB team is regressing to their mean. I believe there was "something in the water" at Pace during the years that Carter was there and their very successful (and unusually so) football team.
Yes, Pace's "decades long record of football mediocrity" began in 2008, the first year they had a football team, though technically they played 1 exhibition game in 2007 as they started up.

That is not to say that they did not choose to greatly emphasize their athletic teams in that period, by whatever means.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Carter went to Pace Academy. During his years there, Pace had a football team that was unsually successful compared to their decades long record of football mediocrity.
This is comical, as noted by the poster above. Pace has only been open for about 50 years and football has only been a sport for just over 10.

My kid goes to Pace and there has definitely been an uptick in interest in and attention paid to athletics in the past 12 years. Sharman White isn't coaching there if there isn't institutional and monetary support for the players he wants. Chris Slade was the football coach from '09 (I believe that was his first year) until this year. Very successful but has lingering health issues from the NFL and believe he wanted a break before looking for a bigger job.

Recruiting at the Holy Trinity of Atlanta private schools is a long tradition. Lovett has been paying athletes for a LONG time (some of the recipients are friends of mine and kids of my friends) and Westminster wrote the book on recruiting kids to win games. Pace has joined the fray and is right there with the others.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
My bad. I assumed that they were playing FB throughout their existence. Just never heard of any success but I guess that's why. They never wanted to get into it.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
This is comical, as noted by the poster above. Pace has only been open for about 50 years and football has only been a sport for just over 10.

My kid goes to Pace and there has definitely been an uptick in interest in and attention paid to athletics in the past 12 years. Sharman White isn't coaching there if there isn't institutional and monetary support for the players he wants. Chris Slade was the football coach from '09 (I believe that was his first year) until this year. Very successful but has lingering health issues from the NFL and believe he wanted a break before looking for a bigger job.

Recruiting at the Holy Trinity of Atlanta private schools is a long tradition. Lovett has been paying athletes for a LONG time (some of the recipients are friends of mine and kids of my friends) and Westminster wrote the book on recruiting kids to win games. Pace has joined the fray and is right there with the others.
I thought Marist was the Gold Standard for 'cruitin.

Did Hamilton Jordan's kid actually go there as portrayed in Argo?

Last edited:

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
The gold standard for high school Georgia basketball recruiting for a long time was David Boyd. I believe it finally caught up to him about a decade ago now or something.
Milton basketball was a wagon when he had it rolling

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I think most of the big Atlanta high schools recruit I don't know who is the best / worst, but I think it's safe to assume they're all doing it. I just mentioned the Trinity since it started with a comment about Pace and there have been well chronicled issues revolving around recruiting between the three schools recently.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
The gold standard for high school Georgia basketball recruiting for a long time was David Boyd. I believe it finally caught up to him about a decade ago now or something.

Yea, he recruited like a mofo at Berkmar too. I played in Gwinnett and it was ridiculous.