GT @ PITT (2/21/2023) GAME THREAD

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We have lost close games due to poor execution with a couple of minutes left. Bad passes, poor shot selection, no one taking charge (usually the PG), turnovers. Still struggling at times with in bounding the ball. This has been tough to watch at times. So close at times.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Because the opponent will call plays directed at a player with 3 fouls knowing he cannot play aggressive defense with so much time left
Which is exactly what Burton did when Terry came back in with four. He lasted a couple possessions, got scored on since he couldn’t defend effectively, and then committed yet another lazy foul to end his evening.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
my heart is torn. I like Pastner as a person and the improved play makes the angel side of me want to give him another chance. But the devil side of me remembers that 9 game losing streak...

I plan to be at that Louisville game, to support our seniors. More importantly, this might be JP's last home game. I know a lot of people hate him and want him gone, but he's still given me alot of fond memories in his tenure. The 2016-17 and 2020-21 seasons will always be remembered.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
my heart is torn. I like Pastner as a person and the improved play makes the angel side of me want to give him another chance. But the devil side of me remembers that 9 game losing streak...

I plan to be at that Louisville game, to support our seniors. More importantly, this might be JP's last home game. I know a lot of people hate him and want him gone, but he's still given me alot of fond memories in his tenure. The 2016-17 and 2020-21 seasons will always be remembered.
I am not sure it is hate as much as very, very disappointed in what has become of the MBB program the last two years. He has not been able to get a recruiting pipeline going here. If he had a couple of big time centers coming in via transfer portal then maybe give him another year. We have some good wing players but a 6' 7" center is at a huge disadvantage. He has played well above his pay grade for the most part.
I assume it is too early for anything out of the transfer portal so it's not looking good for his future. He could ultimately be successful at a lower level and I expect he would get hired elsewhere. Sometimes wrong place at the wrong time.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Apologize if this is a duplicate post - but saw KQ’s post that Pitt’s roster is older than OKC Thunder’s, with 23 and 24 year olds. But not a surprise with Pitt - they did that with Pickett in FB. If your 23 and 24 year olds can’t dominate/outmuscle mostly 19 and 20 year olds (in any major college sport), you’re a really bad coach.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We have lost close games due to poor execution with a couple of minutes left. Bad passes, poor shot selection, no one taking charge (usually the PG), turnovers. Still struggling at times with in bounding the ball. This has been tough to watch at times. So close at times.
Given that we have gone "iron man" by playing only 6 recently, my theory is that we get worn down in end game situations. Especially as the 40 minute role for these guys has only really come about in the last half dozen games or so.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Given that we have gone "iron man" by playing only 6 recently, my theory is that we get worn down in end game situations. Especially as the 40 minute role for these guys has only really come about in the last half dozen games or so.
Been very disappointing that Pastner has failed to build depth on his teams among other flaws in his roster construction. Insert meme *get old stay old* but that hasn't happened

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

I definitely don't 'hate' him. Sports isn't that important to my life existence. I like him a lot as a person. He is much more authentic to me than say, CollinsGeoff. I just think we've hit our plateau.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I like Pastner personally also and have rooted for him to succeed . But it is just not going to happen.

On the positive side, after the game last night, the ACC network showed a documentary on Lethal Weapon 3 from 1990. It was nice to remember the way things once were. I would love to be that relevant but it might be tough in the era of the NIL and transfer portal. But we can at least be better than we have been.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Been very disappointing that Pastner has failed to build depth on his teams among other flaws in his roster construction. Insert meme *get old stay old* but that hasn't happened
I think the roster construction is blamed too much. While not ideal, this team has played fairly well recently. If the roster was a tragic flaw this couldn't happen.

Pastner struggles mightily almost every year to find combinations of players that can function. I don't know how that can be fixed but, if it can be, there is some hope.

If he remains the coach for this next season he needs to figure out the line up before February. Heck, before mid-December.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the roster construction is blamed too much. While not ideal, this team has played fairly well recently. If the roster was a tragic flaw this couldn't happen.

Pastner struggles mightily almost every year to find combinations of players that can function. I don't know how that can be fixed but, if it can be, there is some hope.

If he remains the coach for this next season he needs to figure out the line up before February. Heck, before mid-December.
I really would like to see how many games we would have won/lost if he completely bags the Princeton offense for a more up tempo style. Games we should have been pushing the ball we allowed more slower teams to get back & set up their defense

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Someone explain to me one more time again why a basketball program that sits in the midst of a talent rich area has so much trouble recruiting. Why do we seem to be perpetually short on having key personnel? Seems we are always a couple of playmakers short.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Someone explain to me one more time again why a basketball program that sits in the midst of a talent rich area has so much trouble recruiting.
According to the almighty mods, it's because Duke paid players millions and bought them houses. Which is interesting since I can only think of one impact recruit from Atlanta going to Duke in the past 20 or 30 years (Carter). So apparently all those high school kids knew Duke was paying someone else, so they all chose not to go to Tech. At least that's the best "logic" I can glean from their posts

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
According to the almighty mods, it's because Duke paid players millions and bought them houses. Which is interesting since I can only think of one impact recruit from Atlanta going to Duke in the past 20 or 30 years (Carter). So apparently all those high school kids knew Duke was paying someone else, so they all chose not to go to Tech. At least that's the best "logic" I can glean from their posts
I don't think you really believe that. While Duke certainly made many guys comfortable once Capel got there, I don't recall anyone directly saying Duke took more than a couple of players that might have gone to GT. Duke was fishing from a different pool than us once Capel got there with the knowledge of the bag dropping circuit. UNC has been in that pool for a LONG time. Cremins could play there but one and dones and none and dones killed his methods.

Hewitt was still pulling in some top players in his later years. Gregory got some good players. Pastner has gotten a few, albeit not the same lofty rankings.

I reiterate from above, we have more talent than the consensus believes. The last 2 years have a couple of issues: 1. Lack of on-floor leadership (this is partially recruiting or recruiting priorities) and 2. An inability to identify functional lineups for months.

I think Pastner's goofy style needs a leader like Jose to function reasonably. It is interesting that he saw that at the beginning. And he did see that then. He talked about Jose's leadership before he got here.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I haven’t seen anyone, mod or otherwise, saying we can’t recruit because “Duke”.

Many posters are saying we haven’t played the “buy players” game since CPH and have paid the price. Now with NIL there is a “this is still dirty pool, but not against the rules” aspect to it and I’m hopeful GT will start competing with [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅100)̲̅$̲̅] to go get the impact guys we need (a 5 for sure and ideally also a ready to go PG).

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t seen anyone, mod or otherwise, saying we can’t recruit because “Duke”.

Many posters are saying we haven’t played the “buy players” game since CPH and have paid the price. Now with NIL there is a “this is still dirty pool, but not against the rules” aspect to it and I’m hopeful GT will start competing with [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅100)̲̅$̲̅] to go get the impact guys we need (a 5 for sure and ideally also a ready to go PG).
The funny part is it really does not take a lot of money to build a competitive basketball team. Miami threw like $1m combined at Pack and Wong. Omier might get some $$$ too and they are a national championship dark horse. That’s barely a third of our head coach salary. Georgia’s football team is probably 8 figures - that is of course beyond our bounds. $1m for basketball on the other hand?

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The funny part is it really does not take a lot of money to build a competitive basketball team. Miami threw like $1m combined at Pack and Wong. Omier might get some $$$ too and they are a national championship dark horse. That’s barely a third of our head coach salary. Georgia’s football team is probably 8 figures - that is of course beyond our bounds. $1m for basketball on the other hand?
I agree it shouldn’t be an issue for us, but it has been to date. I’ve no doubt that CPH dropped bags, but since him we haven’t done it. Full stop.

We also did not organize NIL under ADTS because he didn’t support it. Love it or hate it that’s where we are at. We didn’t have an infrastructure to tap when NIL went from dark money to reported.

That doesn’t negate the fact that we hadn’t been spending the dark money previously either which is why we aren’t bagging those hyper talented ATL players.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer

We didn't illegally drop bags like dook.
You liked his reply, so you can’t say you didn’t see it. Direct response to my qypuestuon about what the issue was with recruiting pre-NIL