GT now no. 10 in Baseball America

GTonFowlerSt

Georgia Tech Fan
Which ranking system is used to determine seeds for hosting super regionals? Is it Baseball America, RPI, or D1Baseball Top 25? I've always used D1 Baseball Top 25, but now I'm not sure.

Deleted member 2897

I think the committee is similar to how the basketball tournament is done. They look at rankings, RPI, how you finished the season, SOS...and it generally and roughly mirrors these rankings. But you'll see some differences because some folks won't get as high a ranking and vice versa.

For example, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi State, and Louisville are all ahead of us in RPI, but all have pretty horrible out of conference SOS. Mississippi State's is #205 for example.

In conference play, these 4 teams are 15-6, 13-8, 13-8, and 15-6. We are 15-9. Not much difference. Overall, they have 11 losses, 12, 9, and 9. We have 14. There is a gap on that line. But that's where SOS comes in. Arkansas only played 5 games in the bottom quartile. We played 7. Georgia played 15, Mississippi Stated played 12, and Louisville played 13. That's the difference in records right there. If we would have played 5 more horrible teams in the bottom quartile, we'd be 35-9.

So I suspect if the season ended today, we'd be picked higher than a couple of those teams and lower than a couple. And Tennessee is right ahead of us in RPI. They started out 15-0 but have gone 16-14 since then. I bet we would jump them.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The ACC passed the PAC 12 this week in RPI. We had a lot to do with that!! Matter of fact we've helped all season long in this way with big series wins over SEC foes. Clemson not so much.http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/conferencerpi
The Pac-12 is extremely top heavy. Stanford, UCLA, and Oregon State are all top 10 teams and legitimate Omaha teams. After that, it's pretty much just Arizona State and Arizona.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Hate to say it, but we have got to sweep Western Carolina and Pitt. Can't afford a loss in those 6 games or against Mercer.
We *could* but why tempt fate. A loss there would hurt.

Mostly, I would like to see us tune up our pitching staff for the coming tournaments. Let Hurter get himself back into starter's shape. Get far enough ahead in a couple or three of these games where we can really give other guys experience on the mound. Let X work a bit more....let English get a couple of low-stress outings to prove to himself his hand is just fine.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

Mostly, I would like to see us tune up our pitching staff for the coming tournaments. Let Hurter get himself back into starter's shape. Get far enough ahead in a couple or three of these games where we can really give other guys experience on the mound. Let X work a bit more....let English get a couple of low-stress outings to prove to himself his hand is just fine.

Is there any such thing as us "getting far enough ahead" in any game this year to be able to play around with anything?

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Latest on Hurter is that we won’t see him again this season. Not sure of specifics.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
History tells us that’s an 8 run lead with 3 innings left. “Sad”.
We give up too many runs in final 3 innings. This shows runs by innings for season.
20190429_215346.jpg

Edit: Our low 9th inning output is a little deceptive because we play majority of our games at home... and win many... thus often don't bat in 9th.