GT now no. 10 in Baseball America

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Latest on Hurter is that we won’t see him again this season. Not sure of specifics.

Awful news for him and us (if this is correct which I have no reason to doubt given you've been right in the past). He has been our second best starter. Losing him will really hurt in tournaments like the ACC or NCAA when having four quality starters really helps the bull pen. Looks like Willingham and Roedig will have to be starters which will limit their relieving role. Or could go to English as a starter again to get more innings from him.

Anyone know the link to the Massey Needs Report? Or whoever does the needs report? I just looked at https://www.masseyratings.com/cbase/compare.htm and couldn't find it.

I think we get a National Seed without ACC tourney if we win both our ACC series and only lose 2 of 10 remaining (assume no Ga Southern reschedule please!). Any more losses and it gets dicey and start needing more ACC tourney wins. I don't think we will end the regular season with an rpi of 8 or better without going undefeated given the weakness of our remaining opponents at home. That's why I was looking for the Needs Report.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Awful news for him and us (if this is correct which I have no reason to doubt given you've been right in the past). He has been our second best starter. Losing him will really hurt in tournaments like the ACC or NCAA when having four quality starters really helps the bull pen. Looks like Willingham and Roedig will have to be starters which will limit their relieving role. Or could go to English as a starter again to get more innings from him.

Anyone know the link to the Massey Needs Report? Or whoever does the needs report? I just looked at https://www.masseyratings.com/cbase/compare.htm and couldn't find it.

I think we get a National Seed without ACC tourney if we win both our ACC series and only lose 2 of 10 remaining (assume no Ga Southern reschedule please!). Any more losses and it gets dicey and start needing more ACC tourney wins. I don't think we will end the regular season with an rpi of 8 or better without going undefeated given the weakness of our remaining opponents at home. That's why I was looking for the Needs Report.

Here's your link. While they note it's an estimate, and depends on a lot of things, it doesn't look like we'll finish in the top 8 RPI.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/rpineeds.html

I did listen to d1 baseball's podcast this morning, and they seem to think 20 ACC wins is a lock national seed for us. They're very high on our resume.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you @GTNavyNuke. 8-2 or better over the last ten games here... should be a great resume. As long as those 2 losses are 1 to Duke & 1 to Pitt. That would mean Tech will have won 9 of 10 (9 straight) ACC series... and more than likely the Coastal champ (although not necessarily). If they do that & fail to win Coastal, that makes it a little less impressive, I think.

Deleted member 2897

I agree with you @GTNavyNuke. 8-2 or better over the last ten games here... should be a great resume. As long as those 2 losses are 1 to Duke & 1 to Pitt. That would mean Tech will have won 9 of 10 (9 straight) ACC series... and more than likely the Coastal champ (although not necessarily). If they do that & fail to win Coastal, that makes it a little less impressive, I think.

If we win 9 ACC series and the only 1 we didn't win was against a ranked Miami team, on the road, where we lost the lead in B9...and don't get a high ranking/hosting, that will be obscene.

Ramblin'Man

Banned
Latest on Hurter is that we won’t see him again this season. Not sure of specifics.

Figures, GT isn't allowed to have nice things. ( Won't see him next season either) We had a legit chance to make it Omaha and do some damage with him as our #3 starter. Our odds of winning that third game now going forward just dropped from like 75%+ to 25% or less with the options we have to take his place, this is a HUGE Blow.

Now I think we will have a hard time advancing out of our regional. What a shame, finally looked like everything was coming together. "Lucy" the injury bug calls us GT fans Block heads once again and yanks the ball away from us just as we are about to kick it......:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Figures, GT isn't allowed to have nice things. ( Won't see him next season either) We had a legit chance to make it Omaha and do some damage with him as our #3 starter. Our odds of winning that third game now going forward just dropped from like 75%+ to 25% or less with the options we have to take his place, this is a HUGE Blow.

Now I think we will have a hard time advancing out of our regional. What a shame, finally looked like everything was coming together. "Lucy" the injury bug calls us GT fans Block heads once again and yanks the ball away from us just as we are about to kick it......:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Sure cuts down on our margin for error. Can't get in the loser's bracket in the regionals for sure, but I guess that is never a good thing anyway. Could still win the Supers without ever needing a third starter.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

I agree that we have a better chance of winning with Hurter on the mound. However, we've now played 2 games where he's given us 2-2/3 IP and 1 IP. Won the first, could have won the second with Roedig taking over vs Clemson, but our defense and bullpen let us down (and offense if you consider the bases loaded 1 out DP we hit into). I believe Willingham and Roedig can get the job done. Other guys will have to step up as well, but we have one of the deepest pitching staffs talent wise than we've had in a while. Just need some guys to step up for the last 6 - 7 weeks of the season.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I agree that we have a better chance of winning with Hurter on the mound. However, we've now played 2 games where he's given us 2-2/3 IP and 1 IP. Won the first, could have won the second with Roedig taking over vs Clemson, but our defense and bullpen let us down (and offense if you consider the bases loaded 1 out DP we hit into). I believe Willingham and Roedig can get the job done. Other guys will have to step up as well, but we have one of the deepest pitching staffs talent wise than we've had in a while. Just need some guys to step up for the last 6 - 7 weeks of the season.
I totally agree with this. I have a lot of faith in Roedig. We just need one of Gibson, Winborne, or Lee to step up and actually pitch to their talent level. I would also like to see more of Chapman and Barlow.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I totally agree with this. I have a lot of faith in Roedig. We just need one of Gibson, Winborne, or Lee to step up and actually pitch to their talent level. I would also like to see more of Chapman and Barlow.

And I forgot to mention Roedig's start in place of Hurter vs. NC when we got the win. Love Hurter. Want him to be healthy. But there are a lot of pitchers that are at the point of their college careers where they need to step up. And I think we're going to see more of Chapman, Perhaps Barlow as well. Go Jackets! Make me go to Omaha!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

IIWII. I wouldn't have picked us to win the UNC series without X or Hunter starting.

In any event, let's wait til we hear more. @RoosterJacket may be right or his sources may not be correct.

I'm kind of enjoying not playing tonight and resting on our laurels as well as letting our guys rest and recover. I guess no practices during exam prep and exam week? Any one have an idea of the practice schedule? We may be rusty this weekend, but at least we aren't playing Duke this weekend.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
IIWII. I wouldn't have picked us to win the UNC series without X or Hunter starting.

In any event, let's wait til we hear more. @RoosterJacket may be right or his sources may not be correct.

I'm kind of enjoying not playing tonight and resting on our laurels as well as letting our guys rest and recover. I guess no practices during exam prep and exam week? Any one have an idea of the practice schedule? We may be rusty this weekend, but at least we aren't playing Duke this weekend.
Not going back to listen... but based on my memory, CDH said (after Sunday's game)... Mon was a day off & Tues-Thurs would be "light" work... the players are "busy" this week.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Hope my source is wrong...partly because I was also just told X won’t pitch this weekend due to the soreness he was having earlier this season flaring back up. Could potentially be back for Duke series though. Sure hope I’ve been lied to!!! I mean, one team can’t have this much bad luck, right??

Hope my source is wrong...partly because I was also just told X won’t pitch this weekend due to the soreness he was having earlier this season flaring back up. Could potentially be back for Duke series though. Sure hope I’ve been lied to!!! I mean, one team can’t have this much bad luck, right??

Hyperbole much? If BY the grace of God Hurter is able to continue on the season and postseason, I think it would be more likely that your sources were just mistaken, not that they just lied to you. Just hope for the best at this point.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Hyperbole much? If BY the grace of God Hurter is able to continue on the season and postseason, I think it would be more likely that your sources were just mistaken, not that they just lied to you. Just hope for the best at this point.
I’ve never seen many hyperboles on message forums ;)

Deleted member 2897

This morning we sit at #7 in RPI.

3 against WC.
3 against Duke.
1 Mercer.
3 against Pitt.

9-1 finish is 39-15 and we’ll have a high ranking.
8-2 finish is 38-16 and my guess is we finish around 10-13.

I want to sweep our non-conference games. But most important is ACC finish. If we go 4-2, we have a pretty good chance of winning the Coastal. 5-1, and nobody will catch us.

Duke comes first. 2-1 sets us up for a chance at 5-1. If we go 1-2, it will be a hair on fire push for a sweep.

Let’s go 3-0 this week so we can head to Duke with a head of steam.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Pitchers getting lame at this time of the season is common. The ugag Friday pitcher was pulled to "rest". Miami was missing two of their weekend starters last weekend. The list goes on.........

X not pitching this weekend is "new". But resting him given the importance of this series makes sense. X hasn't been sharp and has been less effective over the last 6 weeks. Rest makes sense and lets hope that takes care of things. Hope to see him start Friday week versus Duke. We'll need him and our bats for that series.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This morning we sit at #7 in RPI.

3 against WC.
3 against Duke.
1 Mercer.
3 against Pitt.

9-1 finish is 39-15 and we’ll have a high ranking.
8-2 finish is 38-16 and my guess is we finish around 10-13.

I want to sweep our non-conference games. But most important is ACC finish. If we go 4-2, we have a pretty good chance of winning the Coastal. 5-1, and nobody will catch us.

Duke comes first. 2-1 sets us up for a chance at 5-1. If we go 1-2, it will be a hair on fire push for a sweep.

Let’s go 3-0 this week so we can head to Duke with a head of steam.

The Georgia Southern game of 19 Feb is shown as postponed on the GT site schedule. Any word on whether will play @Ga Southern (#66 rpi)?