GT-ND

LibertyTurns

Banned
MGH 40 minutes. To many. But do you win with him playing 35 minutes?

MGH 7 assists. Return of PGU?
Cremins never took anyone out until they were completely gassed. Then they got 2 mins max & right back in. Saw him at the game last night along with Dennis Scott. Perhaps Bobby clued coach in on how to substitute? Some of you historians have any idea how many minutes Price averaged? I swear it had to be 37-38 mins/game. Rest of the team had to average 30+ mins/game. The only reason they ever came out was exhaustion or foul trouble.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Cremins never took anyone out until they were completely gassed. Then they got 2 mins max & right back in. Saw him at the game last night along with Dennis Scott. Perhaps Bobby clued coach in on how to substitute? Some of you historians have any idea how many minutes Price averaged? I swear it had to be 37-38 mins/game. Rest of the team had to average 30+ mins/game. The only reason they ever came out was exhaustion or foul trouble.

Cremins never had a long bench.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Keep Heath, Jorgy, and Tadric on the bench and our results will improve. He ran MGH at the point against UVA and we got the win. Why did CBG wait til the end of the season to revisit?!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Not to be outdone, the SEC also beat #19 Notre Dame last night. Kudos to ESPN for getting the scoop.

upload_2016-2-21_21-17-4.png

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Correct. Cremins played 6 maybe 7 guys unless fouls forced him to the bench. But minutes add up over the season. See Price against Georgetown. No legs left.
But MGH last night was the best point guard play GT has had in years, IMO. As I asked earlier, would we have wo if MGH had played 35 minutes.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Minutes are a trade off. You want your best guys on the floor as much as possible, but a fatigued athlete will never be as good as he was when fresh. But, maybe your fatigued PG is still better than your fresh sub, so you have make that decision. I wonder, at times, about how CBG builds his rotation plan, but I think he gives his top players about the right number of minutes. A tired MGH probably does not make that play.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Minutes are a trade off. You want your best guys on the floor as much as possible, but a fatigued athlete will never be as good as he was when fresh. But, maybe your fatigued PG is still better than your fresh sub, so you have make that decision. I wonder, at times, about how CBG builds his rotation plan, but I think he gives his top players about the right number of minutes. A tired MGH probably does not make that play.
So you're saying it's a good thing MGH didn't play more than 40 minutes? ;)

I agree with your general point. Still all things being equal I prefer a short bench, 7-8 deep. Unless you're UNC or Kentucky, which 99% of teams are not, you're already handicapping yourself going deeper than 8. I'd rather have 80-90% MGH than 100% of our deeper options.

Coach K and Boeheim have done alright for themselves over the years going 7-8 deep. Brey is doing it and ND is on their best 2-year stretch in I don't know how long. There are plenty of examples. Also who plays doesn't change game-to-game. Those teams develop consistency and fluidity with more familiarity.

There are times when it bites them for sure, but on the whole we're talking about college athletes who play competitively about 2x per week. Manage practices and in-game substitution patterns and you can squeeze out the juice.

Correct. Cremins played 6 maybe 7 guys unless fouls forced him to the bench. But minutes add up over the season. See Price against Georgetown. No legs left.
But MGH last night was the best point guard play GT has had in years, IMO. As I asked earlier, would we have wo if MGH had played 35 minutes.

Partially true. Cremins played a limited number of players in order make good on recruiting promises made to players to have a certain amount of playing time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that CBG does the same thing every year: play 10+ guys with good minutes through ooc and early conference games, then cut the minutes of non-starters in the middle of the conference schedule, and then go iron-man the last couple of weeks trying to get wins but killing legs for the tournament. Maybe that's just my bad memory though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Cremins never had a long bench.

Yup...one of the things people were critical of. Always thought the guys were gassed because they played so many minutes.

Tough to balance it out really. I guess CBG realizes time is running out for the guys that compromise this year's team. He's going to squeeze every minute out of the top 5-7 guys he can.

We know one thing, if we don't go on a mini run now, EVERY player will be resting come March.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So you're saying it's a good thing MGH didn't play more than 40 minutes? ;)

I agree with your general point. Still all things being equal I prefer a short bench, 7-8 deep. Unless you're UNC or Kentucky, which 99% of teams are not, you're already handicapping yourself going deeper than 8. I'd rather have 80-90% MGH than 100% of our deeper options.

Coach K and Boeheim have done alright for themselves over the years going 7-8 deep. Brey is doing it and ND is on their best 2-year stretch in I don't know how long. There are plenty of examples. Also who plays doesn't change game-to-game. Those teams develop consistency and fluidity with more familiarity.

There are times when it bites them for sure, but on the whole we're talking about college athletes who play competitively about 2x per week. Manage practices and in-game substitution patterns and you can squeeze out the juice.
That's funny. I did not realize he never came out. He has a strong body and is clearly in great shape. So, my point remains, "A tired MGH probably does not make that play." Thanks for the polite way you said I was full of ****. I needed that!