GT in the NIT

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Malik Pope has really turned it on for them. They have some really nice players. But they also have difficult times scoring at times. Not looking at numbers I am not sure how they shoot the 3. Maybe we pack the middle?

I need to get control of my life. Work is preventing me from high level fan hood.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have no feel for this game. I know the guys will play hard, but they will need to take care of the ball, execute and make some shots.
If you take care of the ball you can get some good looks.

Pope concerns me a little. 6'10 and can shoot the three. That is not a great matchup for us at PF.
Shirgley has come back from injury and hit 6-8 threes in their last 2 games.

All the intangibles work against GT in this game. Looks like they are expecting another sellout tonight. So they will definately have a home crowd. The travel is awful. Late game in Columbia with a post midnight flight back to Atlanta. Then a flight yesterday afternoon to San Diego. At least it is spring break week for GT so they don't have to worry about classes. SD ST has won like 90%+ of their home games under Fisher, they lose very seldom there.

Given the short turnaround you are doing alot of in game adjusting as you don't have a ton of time to prepare.
SD ST is a very strong defensive team that is playing much better offensively recently. They probably should have been an NCAA team (would have been their 7th in a row).

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no feel for this game. I know the guys will play hard, but they will need to take care of the ball, execute and make some shots.
If you take care of the ball you can get some good looks.

Pope concerns me a little. 6'10 and can shoot the three. That is not a great matchup for us at PF.
Shirgley has come back from injury and hit 6-8 threes in their last 2 games.

All the intangibles work against GT in this game. Looks like they are expecting another sellout tonight. So they will definately have a home crowd. The travel is awful. Late game in Columbia with a post midnight flight back to Atlanta. Then a flight yesterday afternoon to San Diego. At least it is spring break week for GT so they don't have to worry about classes. SD ST has won like 90%+ of their home games under Fisher, they lose very seldom there.

Given the short turnaround you are doing alot of in game adjusting as you don't have a ton of time to prepare.
SD ST is a very strong defensive team that is playing much better offensively recently. They probably should have been an NCAA team (would have been their 7th in a row).
Not sure it much matters, but I saw a tweet that said the team spent the night in Columbia on Tuesday night then flew out Wed AM to San Diego. Still a lot of travel.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Travel blows but the team being able to sleep in ACTUAL beds vs trying to sleep on plane flights and deal with going through an airport just to get home and sleep only to wake up and travel again is a small plus

Techster

Helluva Engineer
SDSU under Fisher reminds me of an uptempo Wisconsin in terms of personnel. They always have bigs who can handle the ball, and float out to the perimeter and shoot. That's been a tough matchup for us this season as our bigs seem lost defending out there.

Should be an interesting game given how things are clicking for us in pretty much every phase (except uniforms...I kid...kinda).

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
team flew charter flight direct from Columbia to San Diego. Will be a tough match up with sell out crowd and having to travel cross country

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm feeling it. Adam smith has another big game. Drops 30 (6-10 on 3s) and we win by 8.

78-70. MGH senior season run continues.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
SD are physical down low, but SCar had that reputation.

Our bubble could burst, but if we play close to our last two games, we should do well.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
They look so gassed, but the game plan has been pretty bad too. Officiating is pretty suspect too, though

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I just don't get it. Marcus gets mauled and nothing. Wrist tap on the other end is a no brainier foul?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Oof. Well, it was fun to watch for the last month and a half. Most fun I've had watching us play basketball since the ACC Tournament with Favors. Maybe we can get another stretch like this before 2022

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just not their night. Scheduling really put them in a tough spot with all the travel. Felt like every awful shot San Diego St. took banked in, rattled in or bounced before dropping in.

Thanks to the seniors and especially MGH. You couldn't craft a better representative of Georgia Tech.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
They looked like they had lost with 5 mins left in the game. Smith couldn't get the outside shot going and we regressed bad. This wasn't the same team that came from 18 down to beat Clemson.

MGH is one of my favorite players ever at GT and I hope he gets a chance in the NBA even if he has to take the hard road to get there.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
They looked like they had lost with 5 mins left in the game. Smith couldn't get the outside shot going and we regressed bad. This wasn't the same team that came from 18 down to beat Clemson.

MGH is one of my favorite players ever at GT and I hope he gets a chance in the NBA even if he has to take the hard road to get there.
You're right, we were a better team than the one that got down 18 to Clemson though. Unfortunately our opponent was a better team and we couldn't hide our dirty laundry in the last 8 minutes.

I enjoyed this group of seniors and thought they gave great effort this year. Hope they are all successful moving forward on and off the court. They represented Tech well.