GT Hoops - Georgia State Panthers - 9PM

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
I hear you on the changing offense midstream thing. But I think the games against the higher-level teams have shown we simply can't stand pat. Changing now is not ideal but staying with what we were doing would be a death knell (am I using that right?).

Agree on our finishing. We struggle there but defenses sagging on our bigs exacerbates that trait exponentially.

I must also say, my expectations on Smith were way too high. He has great physical tools but he needs development. And that's perfectly fine. He's a young player, so that should be expected. I, for some reason, had a vision of him stepping in and giving us what Jose was giving us. That's totally unfair to Smith.

I say that because I get the sense that many of us may be in the same boat as I was. He'll be really good for us once he's further down the road. For now, I just want to see him play within himself. Use his tools to impact the game. He can be a weapon for us.
We have guys that can score, we can utilize early offense (primary break) Khalid has proven he can do that. We walk the ball up the court, last night we got easy transition baskets a plus!! We have guys that can score in our 1/2 court offense, but as been mentioned times before or drive to paint touch is good, but we don’t finish because of a crowd of sagging defenders and those guys are not doing a good job of finding the guys spotted up on the perimeter for wide open looks. They still try to force shots up

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
For those asking for changes to the offense, we have seen changes early on in the last few games. I wasn’t able to watch the USC game, but against LSU, Rodney was rolling to the low post after a curl handoff, and the guys got it back to him for several close shots at the basket. Unfortunately, Rodney didn’t convert enough of the looks he got (3-11). Last night against State, Rodney started the game below the block (almost on the baseline) which opened up the lane quite a bit. Devoe hit usher on a beautiful back door cut for a dunk. Devoe also hit Smith on a beautiful baseline cut, but Smith was challenged at the rim and couldn’t finish. We also found Rodney open behind the defense a couple of times. Unfortunately, he was set up so deep that he was behind the backboard and had trouble finishing from that awkward position. One of the times actually ended up as a turnover because his foot was on the baseline when he caught a dish from a slasher in the lane.

The point is, Pastner is working on changing things up and adding some wrinkles other than the Princeton high post, point series stuff, and, in my opinion, the changes have worked for some high quality scoring opportunities, some of which have resulted in baskets. Unfortunately, some good looks have also been missed by guys not being able to convert.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
For those asking for changes to the offense, we have seen changes early on in the last few games. I wasn’t able to watch the USC game, but against LSU, Rodney was rolling to the low post after a curl handoff, and the guys got it back to him for several close shots at the basket. Unfortunately, Rodney didn’t convert enough of the looks he got (3-11). Last night against State, Rodney started the game below the block (almost on the baseline) which opened up the lane quite a bit. Devoe hit usher on a beautiful back door cut for a dunk. Devoe also hit Smith on a beautiful baseline cut, but Smith was challenged at the rim and couldn’t finish. We also found Rodney open behind the defense a couple of times. Unfortunately, he was set up so deep that he was behind the backboard and had trouble finishing from that awkward position. One of the times actually ended up as a turnover because his foot was on the baseline when he caught a dish from a slasher in the lane.

The point is, Pastner is working on changing things up and adding some wrinkles other than the Princeton high post, point series stuff, and, in my opinion, the changes have worked for some high quality scoring opportunities, some of which have resulted in baskets. Unfortunately, some good looks have also been missed by guys not being able to convert.
Devoe & Deebo are shooting 50% or better from the 3pt line which are both top 10 numbers in the ACC. Khalid is better than 50% in transition baskets IMO those numbers warrant a change or at least some game by game adjustments

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
P.s. I’m sorry to those posters that don’t like for some of us to harp about fan turnout, but I have to say it… lame crowd last night. Holliday break obviously explains the lack of students. Nine o’clock tip will be another excuse. Ticket availability was “low” on ramblinwreck.com, but there was no one there. Looked well below 50% capacity, and by my estimate, I would put State fans at close to equal to Tech fans, numbers wise, and definitely noise wise. Luckily the small Tech contingent finally came alive in about the last 5 minutes of regulation and the overtime, led by section 110 (I may be biased since I was yelling so loud I couldn’t really hear what others were doing 😆). Shout out to my 8 year old son. I thought he would probably fall asleep after the concession sugar rush wore off, but he was going strong til the end at around midnight, and should probably get some credit for a couple of misses by State down the stretch 😆.
GO JACKETS!

slugboy

Staff member
... Ticket availability was “low” on ramblinwreck.com, but there was no one there…
That was really weird.
1. Go to ramblinwreck.com. Look at the tickets for the game
2. Look through all the sections. See that there’s low to no availability in most sections
3. Decide game is going to be crowded
4. Later, the arena is almost empty.

I guess we have a bunch of pre-purchased tickets that are either going on stub hub or going unused ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Devoe & Deebo are shooting 50% or better from the 3pt line which are both top 10 numbers in the ACC. Khalid is better than 50% in transition baskets IMO those numbers warrant a change or at least some game by game adjustments
I agree. The team needs some adjustments on offense. I may not have done a good job communicating it, but I was trying to say the team has begun to make a few adjustments, and I think the adjustments they have made are good ones and have worked to a degree. Like you, I would like to see more adjustments, and specifically to get deebo and mike some open looks with their feet set, although that may be wishful thinking for mike considering the way defenses have been and will most likely continue to play him.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
E32A6650-69DA-4657-8738-3CC11EA6AD1E.jpeg

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
That was really weird.
1. Go to ramblinwreck.com. Look at the tickets for the game
2. Look through all the sections. See that there’s low to no availability in most sections
3. Decide game is going to be crowded
4. Later, the arena is almost empty.

I guess we have a bunch of pre-purchased tickets that are either going on stub hub or going unused ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?
Weird indeed. I don’t know what to think. Unfortunately, I do think that Tech has a healthy contingent of season ticket holders that are, shall we say, selective about the games that they attend, but I don’t think that tells the whole story about situations where supposedly most tickets are sold but there is low turnout at the actual games.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree. The team needs some adjustments on offense. I may not have done a good job communicating it, but I was trying to say the team has begun to make a few adjustments, and I think the adjustments they have made are good ones and have worked to a degree. Like you, I would like to see more adjustments, and specifically to get deebo and mike some open looks with their feet set, although that may be wishful thinking for mike considering the way defenses have been and will most likely continue to play him.
If we ran those guys off screens it wouldn’t be so hard to double Devoe the longer he has ball in his hand trying to create something while dribbling, it is easier for teams to double him. This may be far- fetched but something similar to Thompson & Curry is what we can start taking advantage with those guys especially with Bubba getting ready to come back you can Pick & Roll with Moore, Saba, Howard, & Meka. Or you 2 game or triangle with Parham, Devoe, Coleman all legitimate outside shooters or drivers and those defenders will have to make a choice ( stay or help).

slugboy

Staff member
Weird indeed. I don’t know what to think. Unfortunately, I do think that Tech has a healthy contingent of season ticket holders that are, shall we say, selective about the games that they attend, but I don’t think that tells the whole story about situations where supposedly most tickets are sold but there is low turnout at the actual games.
It looks like people bought to see teams like Duke, and are putting the rest out on Stubhub and Seatgeek

1FEEB22D-B7E4-432E-9746-673B60E4EBAF.png

MidtownJacket

Staff member
If we ran those guys off screens it wouldn’t be so hard to double Devoe the longer he has ball in his hand trying to create something while dribbling, it is easier for teams to double him. This may be far- fetched but something similar to Thompson & Curry is what we can start taking advantage with those guys especially with Bubba getting ready to come back you can Pick & Roll with Moore, Saba, Howard, & Meka. Or you 2 game or triangle with Parham, Devoe, Coleman all legitimate outside shooters or drivers and those defenders will have to make a choice ( stay or help).
I’m here for this. You’re spot on about how the calculus changes when we have another shooting threat with some seasoning on him.

I can’t wait to see what we roll out when they guys are all heathy and Bubba is back.

Also CJP has been saying Meka is working himself back into shape. Going to be a difference maker for our O Rebounding there too

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

The changes seem to help. We don't do it much though. Let's scrap the modified Princeton completely. We have different personnel that does not fit that scheme.

Ben Lammers isn't walking through that door.

As YlJacket mentioned, the horns look may be a better fit. You can have the same type of backdoor cuts without relying on the big man to be the primary passer.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
a lot of posts over the last month pinning hopes for offensive improvement on bubba. that was not anywhere near the narrative offseason/preseason. i dont recall anyone suggesting our offensive production would include bubba as a primary/secondary scoring threat. seems like wishful thinking to me. i like bubba. i think bubba will help. i dont think bubba is going to give us a scoring threat at the 1 that other teams need to scheme for or adjust to. hope i am wrong, but i dont see a history that suggests bubba is going to transform our offense and how teams defend us.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
With a line of shooting of 39% from field, 40% from 3 pt and 79 on FTs, we should not be close to OT. But a terrible 23 TOs and giving up 12 Off Rebs led to that.Nice to win but as others have said --a LONG way to go to be good.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Devoe and Debo can shoot from 3 point land. Usher had a career game last night but his history says not to expect that regularly. Bubba is a quality player but in his 2 years at GT his shooting percents are poor. Overall 38% and from 3 point range 32%. He does a lot of other things well and he values possession of the ball better than anyone on the team. We have way too many turnovers as a team. Last year was the exception in the CJP era regarding turnovers. We were very good at limiting them last year!

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
not a fan of horns sets (thousands of them) in general. not a fan of it for our roster either. same issue presents itself. 5-man playing zone defense in the paint. i'm a bit more friendly toward horns sets/actions that flow (seamlessly) into continuity offenses. i've never seen pastner run "bunches" of set plays with variety and counters, which is what many horns coaches do. cant just run one or two of them. in my limited history studying pastner, its almost all continuity. he does not seem like a set play guy. very very small playbook with the variations coming via player reads on the fly and occasional "called actions" inside the princeton continuity.

generally speaking, this team screams for 4-out/1-in, imo. with some of our traditional 5-out princeton mixed in, i think it would be a great mix/balance/variety. and if next year saba develops into a perimeter threat at the 5-spot, i still like the diversity of using both 5-out and 4-out with our projected roster next year.

the new stuff referenced earlier with our 5-man in the dunker spot i am curious to watch more closely. i missed several of the recent games and only saw it a couple times last night, did not get a close look. wondering if it was "princeton low." not sure, just a hunch. could be way off.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
P.s. I’m sorry to those posters that don’t like for some of us to harp about fan turnout, but I have to say it… lame crowd last night. Holliday break obviously explains the lack of students. Nine o’clock tip will be another excuse. Ticket availability was “low” on ramblinwreck.com, but there was no one there. Looked well below 50% capacity, and by my estimate, I would put State fans at close to equal to Tech fans, numbers wise, and definitely noise wise. Luckily the small Tech contingent finally came alive in about the last 5 minutes of regulation and the overtime, led by section 110 (I may be biased since I was yelling so loud I couldn’t really hear what others were doing 😆). Shout out to my 8 year old son. I thought he would probably fall asleep after the concession sugar rush wore off, but he was going strong til the end at around midnight, and should probably get some credit for a couple of misses by State down the stretch 😆.
GO JACKETS!
There is no way the Tar Heels holding Tech season tickets are coming downtown while UNC has a game.