GT Hoops - Georgia State Panthers - 9PM

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While not the Georgia State program of year's past, this is a must-win game for us for many reasons.

Most importantly, we need to get off the snide after losing four in a row. With conference play right around the corner, we need a reset over these next two games.

We cannot get caught by surprise tonight. GSU came into the season with high expectations, but they haven't played well against the better teams on their schedule.

Make no mistake, we will need to bring the energy, but this is a game we should win. They're not great defensively, so we must attack.

Tonight and Thursday night should be about playing clean and refocusing before conference play.

Things to watch for:

• Post rotation - Just a hunch, but I suspect we start seeing more of Saba.
  • Freshmen - We've been saying it all year, but now it is time, freshmen need to step up.
  • Turnovers - Target should be 12 or less. We will be good shape, especially if we're making shots.

In addition to limiting the turnovers, I want to see us playing good defense without fouling. Offensively, let's see some good execution, making open shots.

I'm excited because I think that facing the better competition will have us ready to play. Just hope we don't come out flat with it being a late game.

slugboy

Staff member
There are seats available, but it looks like most are already sold?

https://ramblinwreck.evenue.net/cgi...=&dataAccId=314&locale=en_US&siteId=ev_gatech.

Usher and Moore are game time decisions on the injury report.

GT is favored by 5.5 points. It's been a few games since I could type that. Over/under is 147--so we need to score in the 70s or find some missing defense and hit the under hard.

Looks like a Bally Sports Southeast broadcast here in the ATL: https://theacc.com/sports/2021/12/1/MBB_RSN_GAST_GT_21.aspx.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
We need to get back in the win column in the worst way, but this game makes me nervous. We are favored by a small margin (-5), and this team has had our number recently. They also are ranked significantly ahead of us in many offensive and defensive team statistics categories, though, granted they have played significantly lesser competition than us.

I hope it’s true that most seats are sold, but I hope it’s not mostly gsu fans. I’ll be there cheering the white and gold. GO JACKETS!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I too think we may (should) see more of Saba

I Also will be interested to see if we will see less of the modified Princeton

It would be great if we can force more TOs or otherwise find ways to get out in transition

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'm really enjoying the pace this game. I feel like we aren't half court offense Princeton offense'ing defenses to death this game.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Those are the only look at the final score will think it is an easy game.
I'm overall happy with this game. If we really drive home that fast paced first half offense, I think we can have a great ACC schedule. Big issues with the second half offense but I expect Josh is smart enough to figure that out.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow. What a win! Sure, we never should have let up a 15-point lead to go down 6 late in the second half, but we made the plays to win it, and Usher took over in the OT. 9 points by Usher alone in the OT sealed this win, that's for sure. And, boy, did we need it. I am not sure what happened with Howard (did he get hurt?), but I think we learned tonight that Meka is ready for more playing time (and Saba played pretty well too). There was even a Maxwell sighting! By the end, our best 5 was Usher, Meka, Moore, Kelly (would have been devoe if not for horrible calls), and Sturdivant.

Great win. MUCH needed win. May this be the start of something beautiful. Go Jackets!

slugboy

Staff member
Those are the only look at the final score will think it is an easy game.
First half: Looked like we’d win big, but should be winning even bigger
Second half: Scoring drought to beat all scoring droughts. Thought we were going to lose, but made it to overtime
OT: Remembered how to score and play defense. Won by 10, could have been more.

over/under was 147, and even after OT we ended up “under”.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Every win is a good win! Usher stepped up on a night we needed him (even though he almost got a T for calling timeout). I was glad to see a lot of these young guys play. Meka had a real nice game. Maxwell with a big shot. Sturdivant is my man at PG. Smith has to learn to play within himself. He’s so athletic, but he gets out of control at times. Saba gave us some good minutes as well. Glad to get a win on a night Devoe was ice cold.