GT Hoops General Topics

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Actually not a terrible spot for the shocking number of turnovers we've committed in some recent games. Take care of the ball a little better and we're right there.

/

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm an analytics skeptic when it comes to sport (and other things). With that disclaimer aside, I think the fundamental problem with this squad so far is our shooting percentage. The turnovers definitely impact offensive efficiency, but it is the missing of too many open shots that has put the ceiling on this club. Don't believe me, go re-watch the UGA game...

I fear Jeff Jones Disease. Jeff Jones was the UVA coach and his squads played consistently great defense but couldn't score. Year after year. I think the problem was that his teams expended so much energy on the defensive end that they didn't have any juice on offense. It is an imbalance Issue. Brian Gregory had a different form of this disease, but it wasn't an energy problem, he just never bothered to even practice offense.

So, this is a trend that I am going to be watching moving forward: Are we going to be a team that chronically shoots below our talent level. If Stoudamire's teams do have Jeff Jones Disease, then we will be solid but not above middle tier in conference, even if we recruit well.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm an analytics skeptic when it comes to sport (and other things). With that disclaimer aside, I think the fundamental problem with this squad so far is our shooting percentage. The turnovers definitely impact offensive efficiency, but it is the missing of too many open shots that has put the ceiling on this club. Don't believe me, go re-watch the UGA game...

I fear Jeff Jones Disease. Jeff Jones was the UVA coach and his squads played consistently great defense but couldn't score. Year after year. I think the problem was that his teams expended so much energy on the defensive end that they didn't have any juice on offense. It is an imbalance Issue. Brian Gregory had a different form of this disease, but it wasn't an energy problem, he just never bothered to even practice offense.

So, this is a trend that I am going to be watching moving forward: Are we going to be a team that chronically shoots below our talent level. If Stoudamire's teams do have Jeff Jones Disease, then we will be solid but not above middle tier in conference, even if we recruit well.
IMHO, it seems the shooters from 3pt range don't have the time really set their feet and end up rushing their shot. Why? I have no idea. Not enough screening, passing ???

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I went to look, Gt is ranked #263 in shooting percentage (out of 363) and ranked #44 in shooting percentage defense.

BTW, UGA and Nevada are #s 21 and 20 in shooting percentage defense. Cincy #51. Mass-Lowell #58, UMass #65. So, maybe our bad shooting percentage is a tough draw on schedule.

We'll see.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I went to look, Gt is ranked #263 in shooting percentage (out of 363) and ranked #44 in shooting percentage defense.

BTW, UGA and Nevada are #s 21 and 20 in shooting percentage defense. Cincy #51. Mass-Lowell #58, UMass #65. So, maybe our bad shooting percentage is a tough draw on schedule.

We'll see.
This was my point after the Nevada game. They are good defensive team.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Interesting take. I'll offer a rebuttal of your premise of too much D leading to poor O.

Look at teams like Houston and SDSU. They win at a high level without superb offensive skill guys and they're demons on D.

If CDS follows that Ime Udoka-ish model, I sorta think/hope we'll be in the mold of those cbb teams. Lots of length and athleticism, defense leading to easy buckets.

I see us running good offense, in general, just shots not falling. The UGA game is an extreme example of that, as you said. Kelly's season is an example of it too. He's not a poor shooter but his percentages are plain bad. Hoping the law of averages kicks in with him. His ft shooting has been inexplicable.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting take. I'll offer a rebuttal of your premise of too much D leading to poor O.

Look at teams like Houston and SDSU. They win at a high level without superb offensive skill guys and they're demons on D.

If CDS follows that Ime Udoka-ish model, I sorta think/hope we'll be in the mold of those cbb teams. Lots of length and athleticism, defense leading to easy buckets.

I see us running good offense, in general, just shots not falling. The UGA game is an extreme example of that, as you said. Kelly's season is an example of it too. He's not a poor shooter but his percentages are plain bad. Hoping the law of averages kicks in with him. His ft shooting has been inexplicable.
Yep. And neither Houston nor SDSU go deep into their bench. Today’s college athletes are in such great physical condition they play so fast at both ends & rarely need a blow. Good defense leads to more transition scoring and better offense production. It also helps teams stay close and even win tight games when going through shooting slumps.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow

The speed and timing of moving the ball makes the defense shift
to create an open man to have time to get off a quality shot.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
CDS is on record saying they need to cut the 1-pass-shoot 3 pointers that we've fallen in love with. Those are low percentage shots (though they have been generating offensive rebounds). Every 3 we take should look like the one Kowacie Reeves missed at the end of the Penn State game (trying to find a clip but coming up short here if anyone else can find it).

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

We'll see.
This is an interesting perspective. Eyeball wise, I thought our early struggles might be a rhythm and role issue while there rotation worked itself out. Lately, Nate has been seeking his own shot more which extends the growing pains. Overall, we are still a young and coming together team. At #263, there would hopefully be plenty of ceiling to improve as the season progresses.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
For sake of comparison:

Houston is ranked #1 in shooting percentage defense and is ranked #187 in shooting percentage offense.

SDSt is ranked #68 in shooting percentage defense and #194 in shooting percentage offense.

So both Houston and SDSt are average in terms of their shooting (better than GT's #263) Houston is an elite defensive team, no surprise there. SDST is a very good defensive team, similar to GT, but they have shot the ball better.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that our main struggle has been poor shooting percentage, but I do not agree that it is in any way linked to our defensive effort, for several reasons. Others have given examples of good defensive teams that are average shooting teams that win a lot. Also, our defensive effort isn’t really unique, meaning I don’t think we are doing anything drastically different or better than other teams that would result in the defensive effort detracting from our energy to make shots on the offensive end. I think that perspective is a stretch to say the least.

I also don’t agree that our poor shooting percentage is because our offense only generates contested shots rather than open shots. I have seen lots of make-able shots that didn’t go down. Good players shouldn’t need 10 feet of open space to make shots. That being said, I think we could get better shots as a result of better, faster, ball movement, and especially from dribble drive penetration. Both force defenses to move, especially dribble penetration. You need 1v1 winners with midrange game and rim finishing skills to really threaten a defense with dribble penetration, and I don’t think we really have those skills or abilities on our roster yet.

And, the elephant in the room is Miles Kelly’s shooting slump. Unfortunately, I’m beginning to think it’s not just a slump. I’m not sure what caused it, but something has happened to his shot. It’s not because he isn’t getting good shots, because his free throw percentage is also way down. Something is off with his shot. He has always had a flat trajectory on his shot, which means he has less room for error in his mechanics. Frankly, I was surprised he could make such a high percentage before this season, because his shot is so flat.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that our main struggle has been poor shooting percentage, but I do not agree that it is in any way linked to our defensive effort, for several reasons. Others have given examples of good defensive teams that are average shooting teams that win a lot. Also, our defensive effort isn’t really unique, meaning I don’t think we are doing anything drastically different or better than other teams that would result in the defensive effort detracting from our energy to make shots on the offensive end. I think that perspective is a stretch to say the least.

I also don’t agree that our poor shooting percentage is because our offense only generates contested shots rather than open shots. I have seen lots of make-able shots that didn’t go down. Good players shouldn’t need 10 feet of open space to make shots. That being said, I think we could get better shots as a result of better, faster, ball movement, and especially from dribble drive penetration. Both force defenses to move, especially dribble penetration. You need 1v1 winners with midrange game and rim finishing skills to really threaten a defense with dribble penetration, and I don’t think we really have those skills or abilities on our roster yet.

And, the elephant in the room is Miles Kelly’s shooting slump. Unfortunately, I’m beginning to think it’s not just a slump. I’m not sure what caused it, but something has happened to his shot. It’s not because he isn’t getting good shots, because his free throw percentage is also way down. Something is off with his shot. He has always had a flat trajectory on his shot, which means he has less room for error in his mechanics. Frankly, I was surprised he could make such a high percentage before this season, because his shot is so flat.
I can't disagree with your points, but we are definitely not getting the wide open shots that give high persentage success. Like you said Kelly is a total mystery. Clearly CDS thinks he'll shoot his way out of it or he would not play him the numer of minutes he gets.