GT Hoops General Topics

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting take. I'll offer a rebuttal of your premise of too much D leading to poor O.

Look at teams like Houston and SDSU. They win at a high level without superb offensive skill guys and they're demons on D.

If CDS follows that Ime Udoka-ish model, I sorta think/hope we'll be in the mold of those cbb teams. Lots of length and athleticism, defense leading to easy buckets.

I see us running good offense, in general, just shots not falling. The UGA game is an extreme example of that, as you said. Kelly's season is an example of it too. He's not a poor shooter but his percentages are plain bad. Hoping the law of averages kicks in with him. His ft shooting has been inexplicable.
My rebuttal to your rebuttal is you have chosen two teams as your examples that, in general, do not play against stiff competition that you see in conferences like the ACC or SEC day in and day out. I'm wondering if that allows them to get by with less offensive skill as opposed to going up against the likes of UNC, Duke, etc.

I think the solution to going all out on defensive effort is having someone on offense that is a go to guy that can finish at a high rate of efficiency. Is that Baye Ndongo for us? His shooting % in that tournament was ridiculous. After watching all the games in Hawaii I'm starting to think we need to go to him more often than we do. Use the 5 out offense to open lanes to drive to the basket with the end goal being look for Baye if you can't finish on your own.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
My rebuttal to your rebuttal is you have chosen two teams as your examples that, in general, do not play against stiff competition that you see in conferences like the ACC or SEC day in and day out. I'm wondering if that allows them to get by with less offensive skill as opposed to going up against the likes of UNC, Duke, etc.

I think the solution to going all out on defensive effort is having someone on offense that is a go to guy that can finish at a high rate of efficiency. Is that Baye Ndongo for us? His shooting % in that tournament was ridiculous. After watching all the games in Hawaii I'm starting to think we need to go to him more often than we do. Use the 5 out offense to open lanes to drive to the basket with the end goal being look for Baye if you can't finish on your own.
Houston will be an interesting test of your theory as they play in the Big 12 which has been the best overall basketball conference for several years now. Adding Houston and Cincy doesn’t hurt either.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Image-1.jpeg

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I have met him once. There is no way you cannot like the guy.
Bobby is a great human and you are so right that there's just no way you can't like him. I was extremely lucky to spend some time with him during my senior year at GT because I was covering the team for The Technique. My writing buddy and I sat down with him in his office before the season started and he could not have been warmer and more welcoming to us. He made it very clear he felt we were on a different level than the rest of the media in a good way because we were peers with the players, part of the GT Family. And he treated us that way the entire season. We made sure he knew that we appreciated and understood that there was a different level of trust with us versus the regular media and we made sure that we were honest in all our reporting but also our reporting reflected that we felt close to the program. It was some of the most fun I ever had and Bobby could not have been nicer and more gracious.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Bobby is a great human and you are so right that there's just no way you can't like him. I was extremely lucky to spend some time with him during my senior year at GT because I was covering the team for The Technique. My writing buddy and I sat down with him in his office before the season started and he could not have been warmer and more welcoming to us. He made it very clear he felt we were on a different level than the rest of the media in a good way because we were peers with the players, part of the GT Family. And he treated us that way the entire season. We made sure he knew that we appreciated and understood that there was a different level of trust with us versus the regular media and we made sure that we were honest in all our reporting but also our reporting reflected that we felt close to the program. It was some of the most fun I ever had and Bobby could not have been nicer and more gracious.
awesome. What year was that? I was on the sports staff during part of our heyday. Good timez

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Last year a devoted GT fan in Raleigh past away. His son had attended Tech and he became a huge fan. Whenever Bobby came to the RDU area, he would often drive him to events. He would arrange tickets for Tech BB games against NCSU and an alumni breakfast at the team hotel where Bobby would make an appearance before the game. Bobby came to his funeral in Raleigh from HH South Carolina to pay his respects. That shows what a fantastic person he is. We were fortunate to have had him as a coach., not only as a coach but as a person.