GT Hoops General Topics

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the day it's only good for the program to put another guy in the league. Sure I'd like to see him for another year but i get it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does it really matter that they have the interim tag? They’ve each been here as long as Pastner. I doubt that any recruit would disregard GT because either are labeled interim assistant coach vs. assistant coach.

Both can handle all the duties of a full time assistant. Guess I don’t understand the concern. What am I missing?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Does it really matter that they have the interim tag? They’ve each been here as long as Pastner. I doubt that any recruit would disregard GT because either are labeled interim assistant coach vs. assistant coach.

Both can handle all the duties of a full time assistant. Guess I don’t understand the concern. What am I missing?

My point is the interim tag makes the situation seem fluid, non permanent. If they are the guys why aren’t they just hired? Solid. In place. These are our people. We knew back in December DL wouldn’t be back. Why wasn’t a plan in place? Why hasn’t it been executed? If Swartz is the guy, and I have no issues with him being so, why hasn’t he been hired, announced, done deal?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My point is the interim tag makes the situation seem fluid, non permanent. If they are the guys why aren’t they just hired? Solid. In place. These are our people. We knew back in December DL wouldn’t be back. Why wasn’t a plan in place? Why hasn’t it been executed? If Swartz is the guy, and I have no issues with him being so, why hasn’t he been hired, announced, done deal?

Just my speculation, but I'll touch on a couple of your points:

1. If they are the guys why aren’t they just hired? Solid. In place? - Most of us feel that Swartz will be the man for one of the two spots, and my point above remains. He has been serving as a full-fledged assistant since December. Perhaps CJP already knows that he will receive one of the spots, but he is simply waiting for his plan (with the other spot) to unfold before making it official. We don't know what has been said to Swartz behind closed doors, and it is obvious that it is not holding him back. Based on the development of our relationship with MW, it doesn't seem to be creating an issue with recruits either.

2. We knew back in December that DL wouldn’t be back. Why wasn’t a plan in place? Why hasn’t it been executed? When it was announced that DLab had left the team, coach stated then that he would wait until after the season to fully address the situation. I'm sure that they began developing a list of candidates at that time, but it is difficult to coach your team and develop your players and at the same time devout attention to a coaching search. Likewise, it is entirely feasible to think that some/many of the people on his list weren't available for discussions since they were either still coaching or their teams were in the tourney (perhaps). Additionally, isn't it an unwritten rule that you don't contact another teams staff until they're done?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Just my speculation, but I'll touch on a couple of your points:

1. If they are the guys why aren’t they just hired? Solid. In place? - Most of us feel that Swartz will be the man for one of the two spots, and my point above remains. He has been serving as a full-fledged assistant since December. Perhaps CJP already knows that he will receive one of the spots, but he is simply waiting for his plan (with the other spot) to unfold before making it official. We don't know what has been said to Swartz behind closed doors, and it is obvious that it is not holding him back. Based on the development of our relationship with MW, it doesn't seem to be creating an issue with recruits either.

2. We knew back in December that DL wouldn’t be back. Why wasn’t a plan in place? Why hasn’t it been executed? When it was announced that DLab had left the team, coach stated then that he would wait until after the season to fully address the situation. I'm sure that they began developing a list of candidates at that time, but it is difficult to coach your team and develop your players and at the same time devout attention to a coaching search. Likewise, it is entirely feasible to think that some/many of the people on his list weren't available for discussions since they were either still coaching or their teams were in the tourney (perhaps). Additionally, isn't it an unwritten rule that you don't contact another teams staff until they're done?

I hear ya bro. Closed door stuff is fine but appearances are everything. Continuity. Stability. Reliability.

All the bilities.

To my knowledge Swartz has landed exactly zero players. That’s a low blow on my part and I don’t want to really go there but the fact remains.

Just announce it. Make it known. Christ Chris Mack has been in Louisville 17 minutes has a full staff and has offered every player from Miami Fl to Manchester NH. We are naming interim guys? IN THE OFF-SEASON?

We are just a step behind as a program. Whether it be a priority thing, a money thing, an academic thing, it’s just always something.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hear ya bro. Closed door stuff is fine but appearances are everything. Continuity. Stability. Reliability.

All the bilities.

To my knowledge Swartz has landed exactly zero players. That’s a low blow on my part and I don’t want to really go there but the fact remains.

Just announce it. Make it known. Christ Chris Mack has been in Louisville 17 minutes has a full staff and has offered every player from Miami Fl to Manchester NH. We are naming interim guys? IN THE OFF-SEASON?

We are just a step behind as a program. Whether it be a priority thing, a money thing, an academic thing, it’s just always something.

If you are comparing us to the likes of Louisville and Xavier, yeah, unfortunately we are a step behind those guys.. Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer a calculated approach to ensure that we get the right guy.

Regarding Swartz.. Give him some time.. This is GT, nuthin happens easily my friend!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If you are comparing us to the likes of Louisville and Xavier, yeah, unfortunately we are a step behind those guys.. Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer a calculated approach to ensure that we get the right guy.

Regarding Swartz.. Give him some time.. This is GT, nuthin happens easily my friend!

I knew I should have added “not that I’m comparing us to Louisville” to that post....

Im fine with Swartz. I was also stoked with the Skinn rumors honestly. I’m assuming that’s toast now?

I just.......I dunno, nothing ever comes easy for us it seems.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do not see any alarms going off. Maybe we were hoping Jonas would jump ship for GT, but we are not in a crisis mode at all. From a recruiting standpoint, we are looking for one player. Maybe two, but that is clearly not certain at this point. I think our coaches can find time to recruit for one spot.

The message for 2019 recruits is, "I might be listed as an interim assistant right now, but how do you know any of the other coaches you're talking to will be at their current schools after next year?

FWIW, I would be happy having Swartz and West as the new guys.