GT Hoops General Topics

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Looking at the pic I see several things. One, Wright has already turned his right foot toward the basket. He has already beaten Jose. Two, Moses is showing his inexperience by not having his vision focused out ahead where a teammate or defensive help may be. Third. He looks comfortable moving with the ball. A very positive first impression.

Now, how did Jose get beat at arc by a PF with one year of basketball? I hope it was on a switch.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Who's that chick with Evan?

:p
Lol. I get the ATL hate. Hell im a hawks fan and I had to give him some sh!t when I saw him. But that's my guy tho. He and I played at the same high school (10-12 years apart but played plenty of pick up games) He's actually back running a youth camp at our school. Absolutely great kid.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Article says 1 year of varsity hoops, during which he took a big leap forward. It also says he started getting serious about hoops in 9th grade, playing jr. varsity & AAU.

Just for clarity - he played 2 years of JV ball at Enloe HS (4A) in Raleigh. He then played 1 year with the Raleigh Hawks which is a team for home school kids that plays varsity games against multiple other home school teams and smaller charter, private academies and christian schools (Don't think they play the basketball factories like Word of God). It is essentially 1A or maybe 2A basketball but would be considered "varsity" if we are parsing terms. He then went back to Enloe and played varsity in a 4A league that generally has pretty good teams.

He played AAU ball for Garner Road. That would be the equivalent of an Atlanta Celtics type of program. Garner Road is funded by David West of the GS Warriors. Generally college level players (not necessarily all D1) on their HS level teams. My recollection is that he played on their B team and not their A team during HS.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just for clarity - he played 2 years of JV ball at Enloe HS (4A) in Raleigh. He then played 1 year with the Raleigh Hawks which is a team for home school kids that plays varsity games against multiple other home school teams and smaller charter, private academies and christian schools (Don't think they play the basketball factories like Word of God). It is essentially 1A or maybe 2A basketball but would be considered "varsity" if we are parsing terms. He then went back to Enloe and played varsity in a 4A league that generally has pretty good teams.

He played AAU ball for Garner Road. That would be the equivalent of an Atlanta Celtics type of program. Garner Road is funded by David West of the GS Warriors. Generally college level players (not necessarily all D1) on their HS level teams. My recollection is that he played on their B team and not their A team during HS.
That's a lot more than "one year of basketball".

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I tried to verify whether he actually played AAU, or was just on the team. That said, the home school team is almost not high school basketball.

One year of varsity basketball is correct. But, my comment was praise for Moses. And a joking dig at Jose, who is a 4* with a ton of high level experience.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I tried to verify whether he actually played AAU, or was just on the team. That said, the home school team is almost not high school basketball.

One year of varsity basketball is correct. But, my comment was praise for Moses. And a joking dig at Jose, who is a 4* with a ton of high level experience.
The article you posted stated he played AAU ball.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Man, gotta LOVE what that picture says. Moses Wright, future 4 or 5, recognizes the mismatch of a PG guarding him so he's driving past him and using his length to take Jose into the post.

It shows:
1. Moses has a good basketball IQ, and recognizes mismatches. Willing to be aggressive to take advantage of it.
2. Has the skillset at his size to put the ball on the floor and get by a smaller and quicker guy.
3. Will use his left hand.

No clue how that sequence ended, but gives you some confidence that Moses ain't here to just practice...he's going to ball for GT.

you are right,there is little downsize to this picture----of course unless you say our PG has little lateral quickness, which can be really scary