GT Hoops General Topics

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pretty loaded line up. Josh has versatility to play at least 2 positions, but Cal's favoritism towards his guys, his recruiting needs, and trying to boost SEC profile will play a role here.

True.

On a semi-related note, CPast has got to be better than these clowns ...

https://www.usab.com/mens/u19/roster.aspx

Then again, I wonder if he preferred not to be tied up by that commitment right now considering the current rebuild.

Gtfrom718

Georgia Tech Fan
As a close friend of Jose Alvarado, as well as an avid basketball fan on all levels(high school, college, NBA) I don’t believe you fans understand the player you’re getting in Jose. He pretty much can do everything you need him to as a true point guard. His tenacity and defensive aggressiveness cannot be taught,(might be the one of the best on ball defenders in his class but you don’t see that part of his game due to mixtapes providing pure offense) his driving ability and finishing around the basket is superb, and his jump shot is much improved(8 three pointers against St. Raymonds HS this year).

GT has definitely found a diamond in the rough with Jose, who sacrificed offers and interest to play on an AAU team that would compete in Peach Jam. Three of his four teammates (Hamidou Diallo, Jordan Tucker, Jordan Norwa) will be attending Duke, Kentucky, and Louisville this year. Playing with that kind of talent naturally forced him to be les of the scorer he is and be more of the playmaker they needed him to be. Of course he was fine with this due to the success of the New York Rens, however once it was time for high school ball Jose showed why he was the best point guard in NY posting 30 and 40 point games, recording a quadruple double(first at Christ The King HS) and showing people why he was named CHSAA player of the year as a JUNIOR.

Sometime in the weight room where he rarely went in HS and work on his intangibles and I can bet on Jose to have an amazing freshmen year as your starting point guard.

My pre season predicitons for Jose would be All ACC Defensive Team and All ACC Freshmen Team. Him and Josh will be a backcourt that you can not sleep on. Good luck to the Yellow Jackets this year, and I know with Jose you guys will make the tourney( that kid hates to lose).

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Welcome - nice to see your connection to Alvarado. Always good to get a more detailed/nuanced view of his capabilities.

I hope you are right about All Fresh and All D teams - few things would make me happier. As you probably know we have seen some NY PGs come in here and pull that kind of performance out of their first year. But we have also seen several really good freshmen - PGs in particular - come into the ACC and get worn down by the rigor and talent of the league. Takes them a year to get their sea legs under them - so to speak.

I am excited by his coming and think he is an improvement over what we have had - but I also sort of expect a small step back for at least a while until he and other freshmen get used to the ACC.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
As a close friend of Jose Alvarado, as well as an avid basketball fan on all levels(high school, college, NBA) I don’t believe you fans understand the player you’re getting in Jose. He pretty much can do everything you need him to as a true point guard. His tenacity and defensive aggressiveness cannot be taught,(might be the one of the best on ball defenders in his class but you don’t see that part of his game due to mixtapes providing pure offense) his driving ability and finishing around the basket is superb, and his jump shot is much improved(8 three pointers against St. Raymonds HS this year).

GT has definitely found a diamond in the rough with Jose, who sacrificed offers and interest to play on an AAU team that would compete in Peach Jam. Three of his four teammates (Hamidou Diallo, Jordan Tucker, Jordan Norwa) will be attending Duke, Kentucky, and Louisville this year. Playing with that kind of talent naturally forced him to be les of the scorer he is and be more of the playmaker they needed him to be. Of course he was fine with this due to the success of the New York Rens, however once it was time for high school ball Jose showed why he was the best point guard in NY posting 30 and 40 point games, recording a quadruple double(first at Christ The King HS) and showing people why he was named CHSAA player of the year as a JUNIOR.

Sometime in the weight room where he rarely went in HS and work on his intangibles and I can bet on Jose to have an amazing freshmen year as your starting point guard.

My pre season predicitons for Jose would be All ACC Defensive Team and All ACC Freshmen Team. Him and Josh will be a backcourt that you can not sleep on. Good luck to the Yellow Jackets this year, and I know with Jose you guys will make the tourney( that kid hates to lose).
Welcome to the A....well kind of lol.
I think I speak for every GT fan by saying we a thrilled he is a yellow jacket. We have been craving a NY point guard with swag for a while now.

As for the Syracuse fans...they are not only sleeping on Jose, they are in full hypernation.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think I speak for every GT fan by saying we a thrilled he is a yellow jacket. We have been craving a NY point guard with swag for a while now.

As for the Syracuse fans...they are not only sleeping on Jose, they are in full hypernation.
....chason cmon dude.

Hypernation?

tumblr_inline_nx2xikAN101shgrs5_500.gif

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

There is a video of Dr. Krueger from Archer I want to post in response to this but it's wildly inappropriate....

This kid was chirping at Melo during a tournament. = ConeWasSold

Gtfrom718

Georgia Tech Fan

Appreciate that, he deffinitley will. plan on visiting Atlanta for the first time this summer to see my bro.

Gtfrom718

Georgia Tech Fan
There is a video of Dr. Krueger from Archer I want to post in response to this but it's wildly inappropriate....

This kid was chirping at Melo during a tournament. = ConeWasSold
That was at Melos Terminal 23 tournament at his court. A lot of scouts had the kid who Jose was going at ranked higher than him, so he had 40 on him and yelled at melo " He cant guard me ! "

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is a paragraph from 538 about what the pull-up 3 has done for the Warriors. But, I think the 3 is also doing something very similar in college hoops.

"The leading example of the Warriors turning audacity into efficiency is the team’s signature shot: the pull-up 3. When Curry began pulling up from the cheap seats a few short years ago, the reaction was first one of awe, and then one of appreciation: The shots were fearless, and few could make them as often as Curry, but they also worked because most defenses never dreamed that that was a shot anyone wanted. Only recently, as a wave of pull-up 3s has swept across the league, have we begun to appreciate how Curry’s trademark opens up the floor for the Warriors."

Here is the link: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-warriors-duped-the-nba/